Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Getting started

Getting started New to atheism or still in the process of removing those final theistic indoctrinations?

Old 7th June 2017, 09:45 PM
Default From atheism to...

Dear atheists,

I'm thinking and starting to identify more as a humanist than just atheist. My personal journey with atheism has come to fruition for some time. I realise that atheism is only just freedom and autonomy from religious forces by virtue of rejecting such dogmas and authoritarian religions. Atheism is NO guarantee of how well principled humans would be in regards to social, ethical, political and cultural interactions and endeavours.

Until I came to identify with atheism back when I was 16, I used to think a lot about humanism although I couldn't quite put my finger on until recently. I've always liked to be ethical, think about morality (again it is individualistic and subjective), justice and going humanitarian. Around 16, I became quite a rationalist who thought a lot about sciences, physics in particular, and such physicist proclivity had played a fundamental part in shaping my outlook.

Only recently, as I could now come to terms with - it is humanism that is promising according to sources, communal feedback and forums online. I hereby would like to declare that I'm about to shift my involvement in atheism to one that is humanistic. That is, I'm inclined to join humanistic forums - good, non-pseudoscientific and very authentic ones.

Hence, I seek advice on joining good humanistic forums and whether www.thinkhumanism.com is such one reliable site, after I have come across 'The Golden Rule'. It is this Golden Rule that makes how I should lead life socially and ethically so much easier, whilst I do continue to uphold high ground in being courteous, dignified and intelligent as a human.

I look forward to input from dedicated heathens and fellows anytime!

Last edited by Azurisan21; 7th June 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 7th June 2017, 09:56 PM
Everyone Belongs
Default Re: From atheism to...

Humanism is not incompatible with atheism, Azu.

Atheism is merely not believing in goddy stuff: it has bugger all to do with how one feels about humanity.

Ludwig Boltzman, who spent much of his life studying statistical mechanics, died in 1906, by his own hand.
Paul Ehrenfest, carrying on the work, died similarly in 1933.
Now it is our turn to study statistical mechanics.
Perhaps it will be wise to approach the subject cautiously.
(Opening lines of "States of Matter", by D.L. Goodstein).

Like 142857, DanDare liked this post
Old 8th June 2017, 08:00 AM

I wanted to agree with Mr Black but the like button isn't working.

Atheism gives you the opportunity to search for real meaning and real values without being limited by being expected to live your life according to some ancient mythology.
Old 8th June 2017, 09:11 AM
AFA Member

Wiki definition:-

Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition.

This seems perfectly compatible with atheism, although one can have theists which claim also to be humanists. [And of course, one can have non-humanist atheists].

I would classify myself as humanist, both in the past, when i was a theist, and now, as an atheist.

Most theists will tend to recognise dogma and superstition not related to their particular faith, but are not so conscious of the dogma and superstition of their own faith.

Humanists may be "flawed" in that they do not strictly adhere to all it's principles, or indeed fully satisfy the requirements of the definition.

I think it would be counter-productive in any common cause, to nit-pick any humanist that does not seem to follow the definition exactly.

There are some theists who are firmly and enthusiastically secular, should we then reject them on the basis of their faith, if indeed, secularism is vital for a healthy society? I think not. Same for humanist leanings. Grab what you can to make the place more humane.
Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.
Like DanDare liked this post