Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Old 19th March 2011, 06:24 PM
-

Lightbulb Re: Internet security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerbach View Post
Any point you've made worth responding to I have done so - if you accept my responses is not my problem. Unfortunately I've also lowered myself to respond to your cheaper ones.

If you want to discuss the Linux topic intelligently there is now a thread for it.

As for this thread, it's been warm and real.
Great! Maybe you can go there and talk about how Linux is so wonderful and secure not even the FBI, CIA, NSA, MI-1 to MI-7, RIAA, RSA, OMG, WTF, LOL, 4Chan, Anonymous, W00T, etcetera can access it.

This all started with:
Quote:
Linux.
It was a fucking goddamn Windows question!

Now, I am no mod, but I think that we should all move on a little. As wolty mentioned above.

I have an interest in this thread as I have an interest in security, and I use Windows operating systems, and it does no good to any thread that is OS specific when zealots barge in going "Linux" when an answer to "what Windows based software will protect mah compootah?" is requested.

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 19th March 2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: refined post a little
Old 19th March 2011, 06:24 PM
User in Limbo

Default Re: Internet security

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolty View Post
Well then we can all move on then before someone says something they may regret.
Linux.
Old 19th March 2011, 06:26 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Quote:
Linux.
Well done for such a wonderful promotion of free software. Well done you.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 19th March 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm Tracy.......
Super Moderator

Quote:
Linux.
Not funny anymore. Enough is enough.
Croc, please.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 19th March 2011, 06:41 PM
User in Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post
The old "of course there are more viruses for Windows because it is so popular" argument. I don't for a minute deny popularity is a factor and I'm not suggesting Linux, or any OS, is bulletproof, even something like FreeBSD. That would be like saying Christians never do good and Atheists never do evil.

I would be happy to have a discussion, perhaps in another thread, about the intrinsic security of various popular OSs.

Microsoft's domination of the end user OS market (desktop, smartphone, tablet, netbook) is being eroded and unless they can come up with a viable OS for smaller form factors, this is sure to bite them badly on the desktop in the future and we will see how popularity vs security plays out. For the web server market you can draw your own conclusions http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er-survey.html.
Old 19th March 2011, 06:42 PM
User in Limbo

Humour bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
Actually I was responding to this part of the original post: "All I want to know is what security suite are people finding best right now?"

I think my response was as valid as it was mean't to be cheeky. Who knew one word would wind you up so much? No, you may not have insulted me directly, but your comments have been far more inflammatory than mine, you could even say more off topic because you were intent on turning it into a farce.

However, I think if you reread some of the discussion that went off-topic, you'll find that a lot of it addressed viruses and exploits - yes Linux came into the equation and veered away from the original intent, but so what? Threads veer, and they come back, that;s life. I did start a new thread in fact.

Lighten up a bit.

Last edited by Feuerbach; 19th March 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 19th March 2011, 06:54 PM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

Damned Loki. Always the trouble maker.

Facebook Page
Facebook Group
Twitter
Old 19th March 2011, 07:36 PM
-

I remember Microsoft had "ANTISPYWARE BETA" it used to consistently advertise on its site. This was (I think) before Morro which became MSE - back when it was Morro I have heard excellent reviews; from memory it beat a lot of famous antivirus products; Norton, Kaspersky, McAffee, and even ESET back then. It would not surprise me if something like MSE was bundled with the next version of Windows - much better than that "Windows Defender" junk.
Old 19th March 2011, 09:23 PM
User in Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
This all started with:

I have an interest in this thread as I have an interest in security, and I use Windows operating systems, and it does no good to any thread that is OS specific when zealots barge in going "Linux" when an answer to "what Windows based software will protect mah compootah?" is requested.
Its obviously a war on Windows. Its been a while since we had a mashup of that Hitler video.

FWIW my kid's XP PC runs AVG. Was previously running Panda and quite a while back it got extremely sludgy booting. Took me several hours to scrub the PC with malwarebytes and AVG Free. Also switched the kids to Firefox from IE which must have been the primary infection vector. I also had the Windows Defender thingy but I think some upgrade disappeared that. There is no firewall running on that PC because it is behind another firewall.

Last edited by sosman; 19th March 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:17 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Yes, I like AVG too. I'm not running a business or anything particulary important on my computer, so AVG suits my purposes quite nicely, thank you very much.

I had Nortons once, but after it (a) let a trojin in and (b) refused to work after a year until I fed it money, I decided Norton and their minons could go to software Hell.

I have heard good things about the Microsoft anti-virus programme that comes with Windows 7, but as I'm still on XP, I can't give any feedback on its effectiveness.

Good luck Loki - I hope you've found something in this thread that solves your virus issue.

Why do people think that Jesus is coming back? It's not like he was nailed to a fucking boomerang.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; 20th March 2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: speling