Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Old 19th March 2011, 11:27 PM
-

Default Re: Internet security

The one that comes with Windows 7 (aka Windows Defender) doesn't pick up shit. On a test system running it, it picked up 3 out of the 300+ samples I gave it. MSE did a lot better picking up 180+ samples. It does not sound a lot, but it is good considering half of them are packed deeply and ESET picked up 230+ samples. I suggest if you are going to use a Microsoft product for security, MSE is the best way to go. If the Windows 7 firewall is good enough for you then that is your security suite sorted.

I do not think MSE comes with a HIPS and the Windows Firewall isn't the world's easiest firewall to navigate around. So I'd be doing this only if you have a good knowledge on firewall basics such as inbound and outbound rules. And of course you understand how to diagnose network connectivity issues with applications.

Note that the Windows Firewall does not have outbound protection enabled by default; you need to use the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in to configure this.
Old 20th March 2011, 11:21 AM
User in Limbo

Default Re: Internet security

Overall the stats for Windows AV aren't too much to get excited about and so working from anecdotes of "this product worked for me" or "that product didn't detect x.y.z" probably isn't the most optimal method of making a choice.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15464...ml?tk=rss_news

Last edited by sosman; 20th March 2011 at 11:24 AM.