Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 28th February 2011, 01:24 PM

Default ACCC is taking Woo sites to court

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/974924
Quote:
ACCC takes action over cancer cure claims on the internet
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has instituted legal proceedings in the Federal Court, Perth, against Gwyneth Graham alleging that she has falsely represented that she and/or others associated with her can and have cured cancer.

The ACCC alleges that from at least January 2011 Ms Graham, who is associated with The Spiritual Healing Association of Western Australia and the Australian & International Peace Operations Limited, promoted the cancer cure services on a number of websites, including:

www.spiritualhealerwa.com
themessiackingdom.com
thelittlebookofgod.net
thelittlebookofgod.com, and
www.messiackingdom.biz.
Ms Graham charges a fee to provide the cancer cures.

The ACCC alleges that Ms Graham's conduct breaches sections 18 and 29(1) (g) of the Australian Consumer Law (Schedule 2 to the Competition and Consumer Act 2010). Section 18 prohibits conduct by persons that is misleading or deceptive, or likely to mislead or deceive, and section 29(1) (g) prohibits false or misleading representations about the performance characteristics, uses or benefits of services.

In these proceedings, the ACCC is seeking:

injunctions (including interlocutory injunctions)
declarations
civil pecuniary penalties
corrective notices and
costs.
The matter has been filed in the Federal Court's fast track list and is next listed for mention in Perth at 10 a.m. on 4 March 2011 before Justice Siopis.

Release # NR 035/11
Issued: 25th February 2011
Yay!
Old 28th February 2011, 01:31 PM

Default Re: ACCC is taking Woo sites to court

looks like those sites are down already, and the way back machine doesn't have a copy... but google cache has bits of them...
Old 28th February 2011, 04:21 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

This is excellent! Should be more of it. Preying on the desperate and the vulnerable is a disgustingly low act and I'm glad the ACCC is going after these types.

Peddling dangerous stuff through sheer ignorance when not even a medical practitioner is just as bad *waves at Nirvana Anderson*
Old 28th February 2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Praxis said View Post
This is excellent! Should be more of it. Preying on the desperate and the vulnerable is a disgustingly low act and I'm glad the ACCC is going after these types.

Peddling dangerous stuff through sheer ignorance when not even a medical practitioner is just as bad *waves at Nirvana Anderson*
Agreed Praxis. But why stop there. What about these televangalist programmes on the box during the wee hours. They are constantly trying to decieve money out of people and lets face it there are desperate and vulnerable people watching this filth all the time and being sucked in by it.
Old 28th February 2011, 05:09 PM
Extinguisher of stupidity

This is great news. If this case is successful, it may open the floodgates for further cases against other unproven 'alternative' therapies. At the very least it may make some of these 'healers' think twice about some of their more outrageous claims. Preying on the weak and vulnerable is a despicable act and Ms Graham and her ilk deserve no leniency.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:16 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Its a good start. Commercial claims must be supportable or they must not be made.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:34 PM
Ehh?

Someone else we know of that could do with a shake up like this me thinks.

Great to see the power players saying enough is enough. I hope they keep going.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:38 PM
You can't be serious!!?

Best news I have had all day. Thanks Senectus.

Let's hope the can is now properly opened and the worms spilleth over.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:20 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Praxis said View Post

perhaps it will make a precedent for going after churches!
Old 1st March 2011, 09:11 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

I was listening to something about this on Ask an Atheist over the weekend (podcasts, good way to keep entertained while out doing a 2.5 hour bike ride).

Basically, the organisations involved will just remove anything definite from their claims. They will simply imply that the particular product in question is able to do something, then give some anecdotal evidence, and then you make the conclusion.

I think that it's great that the ACCC is chasing these people, but there needs to be real retribution against them to make them stop. A fine and a ruling advising that the company in question cant make those claims is no good.

James