Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 16th February 2011, 06:58 PM
AFA Member

Default Filled in your National School Chaplaincy Program Consultation Questionnaire?

I had a peek around, couldn't find the link to it - feel free to pass it on!
http://www.surveys.dest.gov.au/nsurv...27471283bed581

National School Chaplaincy Program Consultation Questionnaire

Please note that the Department will publish your written responses to this consultation process, unless you specifically request otherwise.
If you consider your response should be treated as confidential, or if you wish to remain anonymous please clearly indicate this below.
The Australian Government will accept a request to treat information as confidential. Information relating to individuals will be protected under the Privacy Act 1988. Requests for access to such information will be dealt with under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
Old 16th February 2011, 09:16 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Filled in your National School Chaplaincy Program Consultation Questionnaire?

Yep - posted about it here -> http://www.godless.biz/2011/02/16/questioning-the-ncsp/
Old 16th February 2011, 10:30 PM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Default Re: Filled in your National School Chaplaincy Program Consultation Questionnaire?

Here's my submission.

Quote:
Question 5
Are there any other comments you would like to make about the qualifications of chaplains?
The current system is totally unacceptable. The NSCP requires people to be employed solely on the basis of their religious beliefs and can only employ a fully qualified secular psychologist if all attempts to employ a suitable religious person has failed. This religious test for a publicly funded office is in contravention of Section 116 of the Australian Constitution which states "no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth."
In addition, this is clearly a discriminatory policy which favours those who hold religious beliefs. This is unacceptable discrimination in a modern secular society such as Australia and is not providing the optimum level of support for our children.

Quote:
Question 7
What elements are most important for minimum standards for service providers?
Our children face "real" problems in their daily lives. They deserve to have access to "real" psychologists to assist with "real" solutions. The last person I would want near my child if they were having issue is someone who firmly believes "all are sinners" and "the wages of sin are death." Furthermore, I think that a minimum standard for providers should be that they are unable to discriminate based on race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

Quote:
Question 8
Are there any other comments you would like to make about the minimum standards for service providers?
The current state of standards are grossly inadequate. Anyone with ordination from an unaccountable group of religious zealots could have access to our children. You only need to read the service providers own web sites to see that their goals are evangelistic in nature. If they wish to market their services to children, they should not be permitted to do it in public schools with public money. If I wanted my children to be preyed up by people who lack the critical thinking skills to determine the true nature of reality, I would send them to church.

Quote:
Question 9
Do you support the current arrangements which require schools to attempt to employ a chaplain before being able to employ a secular pastoral care worker?
I do not under any circumstances support the current system which imposes an unconstitutional religious test as a criteria for selection of a completely unqualified person in preference to a trained psychologist. The key criteria here should be their training. Many trained psychologists are also religious. Their training should be the only important criteria not their belief system.

Quote:
Question 10
Do you support modification of the program to give schools the choice of a non-faithbased support worker or youth worker?
Neither. This question dishonestly presents me with only two choices when other options exist. The main criteria should be "Do they have a degree in psychology". Any religious test after that is not required and unconstitutional.

Quote:
Question 11
Are there any other comments you would like to make about the choice of support worker?
Yes. I may not have mentioned it. They need to hold a degree in psychology and all religious tests need to be removed.

Quote:
Question 12 What models of administration would support innovative delivery under the program?
Analysis would need to be conducted to determine usage rates across sociodemographic profiles. This would enable the creation of a predictive modelling program to effectively plan resourcing and fund allocation. Some larger schools who meet certain sociodemographic mosaics may require more than one psychologist whilst smaller, more remote communities may have an itinerant psychologist who travels between 1, 2 or 3 schools.

Quote:
Question 13
What innovative models of delivery would support rural, remote and disadvantaged schools to maximise the effectiveness of funding they could receive under the program? (you can select more than one option)
In cases such as rural and remote areas, where schools may have difficulty accessing a trained psychologist, children in these areas should have access to a pool of trained psychologists via the Internet. Funding could then be allocated on a pro-rata use model. This is the 21st century. The technology exists for doctors to perform operations from the other side of the world. Why think small?

Quote:
Question 14
Are there any other comments you would like to make about innovative delivery models?
Innovative models need one thing. Innovation. This is the 21st century. Let's not tackle the very real problem with 16th century solutions.

Quote:
Question 15
Are there any other comments you would like to make about the program?
This current program is woefully inadequate for the needs of our children in this modern secular society. Remove the unconstitutional religious test. Employ "real" psychologists. Utilise modern technology and methodologies to better plan, provision, deliver and administer the program.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67
Old 16th February 2011, 10:39 PM
silly person

Fuck, I can't answer it. I don't want chaplains, period.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:45 PM
AFA Member

Well done, Djarm. Much the same answers as I, but with a little more spicy sauce. Love it.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:51 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

I have done it. And it makes me feel good that I have been able to have my say!

Old 16th February 2011, 11:38 PM
AFA Member

[quote=djarm67;172667]Here's my submission.

djarm67 what an articulate and intelligent response. I wish I had read it before I sent mine in as I could have borrowed from it. (with your permission)

Mine came close to a rant at times, asking how they would choose between a scientologist, muslem or baha'i faith "pastor" in an equal opportunity environment, then expanding a little on "do you realise this is what a scientologist ACTUALLY believes?"
Also asked whether they have fully considered an avalanche of law suits from secular parents who object to the subjective values of a religious counsellor, who is appointed precisely for those values, being imposed on a vulnerable child.

Would recommend everyone do it if only because you feel better for having vented.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:51 AM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Quote:
askegg said View Post
Well done, Djarm. Much the same answers as I, but with a little more spicy sauce. Love it.
Nandos

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67
Old 17th February 2011, 09:55 AM
Up there for thinking...

I did mine too.... this was a very poorly structured questionnaire. I would expect better from a government department considering the amount of money I am sure they are spending on market research consultants.
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 17th February 2011, 09:56 AM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
Dane said View Post
Fuck, I can't answer it. I don't want chaplains, period.
If you get past the first few questions you can type freely in other questions.
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens