Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 3rd February 2011, 10:13 AM
AFA Member

Smile Coalition Folds In On Ethics Classes.

Looks like the Coalition have done a back flip on trying to demolish the Ethics Classes.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...202-1advq.html

This gos to show that if people are passionate enough...they can achieve anything.

Good work everyone.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:19 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Default Re: Coalition Folds In On Ethics Classes.

This is good news (she said cautiously). We'll see what they actually do when they get into power, but it would be wonderful if they stuck to this.

Maybe the Libs are finally getting a clue that the noisy minority are the xtians, not the secular people!
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:28 AM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

Ah. They're going to get the SRE folks to help design the ethics classes.

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:28 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
This is good news (she said cautiously). We'll see what they actually do when they get into power, but it would be wonderful if they stuck to this.

Maybe the Libs are finally getting a clue that the noisy minority are the xtians, not the secular people!

I know what you mean about being cautious...Just when you think you can trust them( and I say trust with a weak smile.) they turn around and do the opposite.
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 vegie View Post
I know what you mean about being cautious...Just when you think you can trust them( and I say trust with a weak smile.) they turn around and do the opposite.
That is great news. There are a lot of schools on that list near where I live which is a pretty safe liberal area - not that that would probably influence the liberal party.....but maybe they've realised that the catlick and angrican churches are out of step with the community (oh there's a surprise). But who knows.... they are polliticians.
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:22 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearestardust View Post
Ahh yes, I wonder what this means..

Mr Piccoli said a Coalition government would work with the St James Ethics Centre, which had designed the classes and special religious education providers ''to create a course that makes everyone happy''.
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:41 PM
Soccer meets facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
Ahh yes, I wonder what this means..

Mr Piccoli said a Coalition government would work with the St James Ethics Centre, which had designed the classes and special religious education providers ''to create a course that makes everyone happy''.
Well, the classes are safe for now at least. All bets are off in the long run.
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:06 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Call me cynical, but 'wait till the initial hype is over across the news, add a revolution and a cyclone and it shouldn't make too much of a bump'
They knew it should be done.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearestardust View Post
That would be unethical ... but typical.

Wonder what the latest announcement means for the previously-proposed "Save Our Scripture" campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 vegie View Post
Following a recent very successful, well attended Christian Worldview meeting in the NSW Parliament, it was deemed a matter of urgency to hold a larger follow-up meeting and invite all concerned Christians to rally together to Save Our Scripture.
[snip]
The Rev Richard Quadrio of the NSW Council of Churches will Chair the meeting. Invited speakers include Rev Rod Benson of Morling Baptist College, Rev Hon Fred Nile MLC, Mayor Paul Green of Shoalhaven Council and Pastor Peter Rahme of the Inner West Baptist Church.
[snip]
All concerned Christians and parents, wishing to have their children continue to receive historic and morally sound teaching of Scripture, are invited to attend the meeting called for Monday 28th February in the NSW Parliament House to hear the serious nature of the ALP Government's position of Ethics Classes in competition with Scripture Classes and to call for renewed support for Scripture Classes.

This meeting will take place in the NSW Parliament House Theatrette, NSW Parliament House, Macquarie Street, Sydney at 12 Noon on Monday 28th February 2011.

http://au.christiantoday.com/article...ture/10094.htm
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:42 PM
AFA Member

We have another problem....some principles are not on board with the Ethics Classes going ahead in their school's...ours in one of them.

It seems the principle has not sent the information out to the parents about the Ethics Classes for this year ( all principles in N.S.W recived a information kit in December...that information should have been sent out to all parents to make an informed choice about if Ethics Classes are right for their child.) this has not happened in a lot of the schools in N.S.W..and my school is one of them ( no surprise there....I'm sure the pesky angericans have something to do with it.)