Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 19th January 2011, 09:35 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Mark "No Religion" Campaign Begins - The 2011 Census

Quote:
BlueDevil said View Post
Most atheists are keen to answer this question accurately since they don't like to see government money used to support religious events (eg Catholic World Youth Day), chaplains in schools, and the massive tax benefits that the churches get to promote religion.
I think that's the point. Either we back ALL religious events and programs (because we don't to appear biased now, do we?), or we back none. Given the surface intention of section 116, I say we ignore the entire mess. No chaplains in schools, no millions thrown at pedophile hiding nazi popes (where was the money for the GAC?), and no more tax breaks because you hold superstitious ideas. No more.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:26 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Great video from the UK effort! Still very relevant

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:08 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
davo said View Post
Great video from the UK effort! Still very relevant
Yes it is a good video. Apart from the “used to justify the following policies” section and the slogan we could just about copy that word for word (if the UK Humanist Association didn't mind and we had their permission). If someone was to make a similar video what would the “used to justify the following policies” section contain?

Obviously the National Schools Chaplaincy Program would be one, what others?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:10 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

The tax exempt status of religions and religious businesses would certainly be worth a mention? If it was proven statistically that there are a lot less religious people in Australia than claimed, then that would surely bolster the argument for abolishing the tax-free status they currently enjoy?
Old 20th January 2011, 11:43 AM
AFA Member

Must say, I'm very impressed with the UK Census campaign web site lots of useful information and answers to common questions, including the "Should you answer 'Jedi' on the Census?" one.

Which leads me to another important question - is the AFA, or some other interested party, going to create a similar site for the Australian campaign?

The domain census-campaign.org (the same as the UK web domain without the .uk at the end) is currently available but census2011.org is already taken (by the Canadians) I have the money and resources to host that site if you'd like, say the word, give me half an hour and it's all yours.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:56 AM
Minister for Defense

Abbott sure got a lot of truck out of "100 million per day" of debt in the last election campaign, even though that figure was demonstrated to be 75% bullshit.

I wonder how happy people in general would be to know that religions get 85 million per day in REALtax breaks.
Old 20th January 2011, 01:32 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
OzAtheist said View Post
... or some other interested party, going to create a similar site for the Australian campaign?
Yes. I started putting one together last night. I don't expect it to be an official AFA promotion though.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:07 AM

Protium and Bluedevil. Are you serious? "The government needs this information to fund religious organizations" I've obviously made a mistake I thought this was an atheist organization.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:03 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Quote:
Jim Boomba said View Post
Protium and Bluedevil. Are you serious? "The government needs this information to fund religious organizations" I've obviously made a mistake I thought this was an atheist organization.
eh? No one said anything of the sort, not sure where you are getting your quote from?

Bluedevil stated. my emphasis :

Quote:
Most atheists are keen to answer this question accurately since they don't like to see government money used to support religious events (eg Catholic World Youth Day), chaplains in schools, and the massive tax benefits that the churches get to promote religion.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 21st January 2011, 03:23 PM

Apologies I shouldn't have used Quote marks when I'm paraphrasing. To be more accurate Protiem "Don't you think the statistics used for planning our tax money being given to religious organisations a valid reason?" I may be wrong but you seem to think that's ok. BlueDevil After re reading your post I took a sentence out of context,apologies. My whole point is that there is no valid reason to ask the question,and this is something theists should be concerned about also.The "no religion campaign" only justifies the question being asked,it should be illegal for any government body to ask. Ask any Catholic who grew up in N Ireland whether the Government has any right to ask.