Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 6th May 2009, 02:43 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Default Re: Atheist Charities

Medicins Sans Frontieres is really good, great stuff

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 6th May 2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks all - I've decided on Medicins sans Fronteirs (or whatever - too lazy to look up spelling!). I've based my decision on your advice (well done you heathens!!! Insofar as good actions in the world do have good consequences, you are all eligible for 1 dose of good karma!).

It's also been helped by my workplace including MSF in it's 4 "workplace giving" charities (where they deduct from payroll)... I'm happy to support that too because "someone" may have written in suggesting charities which were NOT religious, so I do feel some inclination to support these!

Thanks heaps - nice to know heathens can help people too - and I can let my gb friend know that her inspiration was not lost (but that i'm not giving to her 'feed the starving masses with bibles' charity either!).
Old 6th May 2009, 09:41 PM

I give to Doctors without Borders, Save the Children and the Australian Conservation Foundation. It's nice to know that at least 2 of them are secular. I don't know about ACF, but they are more about saving rainforests and stopping stripmining than they are about saving souls.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:06 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

The other options is creating or funding your own charity, especially if a product, service or trade industry etc. Our work has as part of our partnership agreement funding of community based initiatives, non-religious and non-political.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 6th May 2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridescence View Post
I give to Doctors without Borders, Save the Children and the Australian Conservation Foundation. It's nice to know that at least 2 of them are secular. I don't know about ACF, but they are more about saving rainforests and stopping stripmining than they are about saving souls.
ACF are secular - they are one of my monthly direct debits, as well as Medicines Sans Frontiers, Fred Hollows, Amnesty International and WSPCA. I give to other secular charities on an ad hoc basis.

I've just had another look at Save the Children. Their costs ratio is below 10%, so once the GFC is over, and if I ever get a pay rise again, I'm hoping to give to them too, to get more bang for my charity buck.

(Someone on this thread previously mentioned a figure of 60% being a good figure, but I personally think that's abysmal! I go for an absolute minimum of 75%.)

Vonnie
Old 20th June 2009, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Goaty and Convenient - Secular Charity

@Mr Black

Yeah,there are heaps of great secular charities. Goats are a great idea.I'll check out the website.

I support two: Medicins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders)

Fred Hollows Foundation.

I chose those two after a bit of research into how the money is actually spent and what percenatge goes on admin costs. An acceptable maximum is 36%

Addendum: Just checked it out: A goat is $39,or you can also give ducks, a calf and other stuff. I can manage $78 for a pair of goats. I'll check first to find out what would be the most useful and most likely to survive long enough to reproduce..

Last edited by Seamus; 20th June 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 20th June 2009, 01:48 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Thanks Mr Black... great idea!
Old 20th June 2009, 02:15 PM
AFA Member

Another great one is the IWDA - International Women's Development Agency; helping disadvantaged women in countries where they are oppressed and abused. I used to support them, but fell behind due to an overload of charities...non-religious; must get into them again...
http://www.iwda.org.au/au/
Old 20th June 2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
The charities being mentioned are all great (must put links to these in the Library), but sometimes nothing says it like a goat.
I disagree, mr black. I find that another of the oxfam gifts, a pile of manure, says it even better when i give it to my MIL each christmas.
Old 21st June 2009, 09:33 AM

The best bit, Mr Black, is that the pile of shit is also tax deductable. Hows that for perfect?