Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 5th May 2009, 09:13 PM

Default Atheist Charities

Hi folks
I have a sickeningly inspirational god-bothering friend who has inspired me to try to help my fellow human (to be said in TV voice over monotone)... but when I google for Atheist Charities, I get heaps... and have no idea which are legit and which are not.

Can anyone suggest a genuine charity that is based on helping people live their lives and not forcing a religious message down their throats with much needed food?

Any suggestions welcome - I'm not rolling in money, but a small donation a month is not beyond me... just want to put it somewhere useful. And as much as I love my animals (especially the 4 legged variety), i'd rather help people if that's possible, so the RSPCA et al are not what I'm after.

Taa oh generous spirited Atheists!
Old 5th May 2009, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Atheist Charities

I checked it out a few months ago and to the best of my knowledge, all of these are secular charities with no religious affiliations.

Red Cross
Oxfam
UNICEF
Fred Hollows Foundation
Water Aid
Save The Children
Doctors Without Borders
The Gates Foundation
SHARE (Secular Humanist Aid & Relief Effort)
Old 5th May 2009, 09:31 PM

Yep - those are all legitimately secular. The only non-animal one I can add is The Smith Family.

Vonnie
Old 5th May 2009, 10:01 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

If you live in Melbourne, years ago I helped start up a group called Food not Bombs there in line with the US efforts, feeding the homeless, it's still going.

you can find them here http://food-not-bombs.blogspot.com with contacts etc.

Fully secular, lots of really cool people, however not specifically atheist, it is definitely secular. When I was involved in it's inception, it was radically atheist and anarchist .. most of the people in it atm from what I know are the same

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 5th May 2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoigle View Post
I checked it out a few months ago and to the best of my knowledge, all of these are secular charities with no religious affiliations.

Red Cross
Oxfam
UNICEF
Fred Hollows Foundation
Water Aid
Save The Children
Doctors Without Borders
The Gates Foundation
SHARE (Secular Humanist Aid & Relief Effort)
Interesting thing I heard about the Gates Foundation:
Quote:
It comes as no small surprise, then, to learn that during the past five years the Gates Foundation has pledged more than $10 million to the Discovery Institute, the Seattle think tank that is leading the charge to bring "intelligent design" to the masses. Advocates of I.D. say Darwin's theory of evolution is flawed and that certain complex biological features -- such as, for instance, the human eye -- point to the presence of a "designer" at the source of creation. The scientific establishment roundly rejects I.D. They say it represents a back door through which religious views are being snuck into public education. Due to the Discovery Institute, I.D. is popping up in school districts all over the country, fueling a renewed controversy over evolution that has even made its way into national politics. George W. Bush recently espoused Discovery's views by urging teachers to make sure "both sides" -- that is, I.D. as well as evolution -- are "properly taught."
source: http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feat...ion/index.html

I should point out that their donation was exclusively to do some work on the Cascadia project, which is working on transportation issues around Washington State, and not the ID woo-woo the Discovery institute are more famous for. I'm not pointing this out to bring the Gates foundation into disrepute, far from it I think they do good work. Just as an interesting bit of trivia that the Discovery institute do also do some legitimate research.

Interesting Podcast about the Discovery Institute here: http://skepticality.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=419861
Old 5th May 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balans View Post
I should point out that their donation was exclusively to do some work on the Cascadia project, which is working on transportation issues around Washington State, and not the ID woo-woo the Discovery institute are more famous for. I'm not pointing this out to bring the Gates foundation into disrepute, far from it I think they do good work. Just as an interesting bit of trivia that the Discovery institute do also do some legitimate research.
Whenever big companies (and charities) are dealing with large amounts of cash, they put up so many "chinese walls" that I guess it it is sometimes difficult to tell just where the cash came from and where it is going.

Decades ago I saw a TV report on a Jewish Institution in America that had just received a large cash donation from a high ranking Arab (memory won't allow me to be more specific) who was trying to give the impression that he was a reasonable man with no grudges. The leader of the Jewish Organisation was absolutely flabbergasted when told about it and quickly got onto the phone to order that the cash be returned immediately.

Things like that can be embarrassing - but shit happens...
Old 6th May 2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks all - I appreciate your lists and comments... I will have a look at those charities and see if there is one that suits me!
Old 6th May 2009, 10:37 AM

Plan international are also secular.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:41 PM
AFA Member

Thanks for posting the list youngmoigle.

I'm getting more careful about who I give my money to since reading an article last year about a woman (a christian but not catholic) who ran a couple of Vinnies stores in Brisbane. The Catholic church wasn't going to renew her contract so she took them to court. Turns out SURPRISE SURPRISE that the church didn't want a non-catholic running their charities because the primary aim of the charity was to advance catholicism so you had to be catholic - this was stated in court by the churches lawyers. Silly me I thought the primary aim of any charity was to help PEOPLE.
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 6th May 2009, 02:16 PM

I contribute to two secular charities. That means they are not connected to any church or religious group:

Medicins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicins_Sans_Frontieres

The Fred Hollows foundation (Australian founded)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fre...ows_Foundation

I spent several months reseaching bona fides,as well as the proportions of contributions actually spent on the stated goals.(A good rule of thumb seems to be 60% or more)