Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 19th November 2010, 10:03 AM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Yes, I'd say it helped point me away but my dark period was just over 10 years ago now. Since then I feel that I have caged the beast. I know it could escape one day but not while I am in control.

A book I read and recommend to others in need to help combat it or help others is 'Suicide - The Forever Descision'. Can't recall the author ATM but a quick google would solve it.
Old 19th November 2010, 10:10 AM
I could forgive the atrocities of the monster called God without filicide.

Default Re: In your face topic time, a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Yes, I'd say it helped point me away but my dark period was just over 10 years ago now. Since then I feel that I have caged the beast. I know it could escape one day but not while I am in control.

A book I read and recommend to others in need to help combat it or help others is 'Suicide - The Forever Descision'. Can't recall the author ATM but a quick google would solve it.
Suicide The Forever Decision (Online Book)
by Paul Quinnett, Ph.D.
http://www.qprinstitute.com/Foreverweb.htm

That one?
I have no requirement for the supernatural or magic to explain anything, finding purpose in life other than trying to enjoy it, fantasies to explain wonder, fear that reason might trivialise me, or demand of wonders greater than those that are evident.

Old 19th November 2010, 12:02 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Thanks for sharing guys (especially simonecuttlefish), I do recommend Beyond Blue and I think the topic is one that should be able to be discussed, even tho it can be awkward.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 19th November 2010, 12:30 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonecuttlefish

Suicide The Forever Decision (Online Book)
by Paul Quinnett, Ph.D.
http://www.qprinstitute.com/Foreverweb.htm

That one?
Bingo, thanks for that. I'm at work so operating at semi competent capacity
Old 19th November 2010, 12:54 PM
Science Moderator

As a young teen I not very seriously thought of suicide, when I was depressed. But then I decided I coudn't be bothered. Sheer laziness and apathy probably saved my life. Then I got bored with being bored. So I got hyperactive. This cycle went on for a time, and then stopped. Weird.
Old 20th November 2010, 09:29 PM

I've actually tried to kill myself once and have had suicidal thoughts from time to time. In those periods I did not give thought to how my friends and family would react to my death.

Last edited by Justtristo; 20th November 2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 21st November 2010, 02:08 AM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo View Post
Have you ever felt that the only thing that stops you from suicide is how your friends or family would react?
I'm not sure. Probably.

Or not even that. If I have enough of a burden that I am willing to consider getting out from under it by topping myself, I'm effectively dropping that burden on someone else. I've never been much of a fan of dropping weights I can't carry on other who also probably can't carry them.

If I ever get to the point of thinking that I'm so fucked up that carrying me is going to the greater burden, then I'll probably remove myself from the equation.

@Goldenmane3
goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:06 AM
Raptured!

No. I haven't even seriously considered it nor contemplated it. However, the subject always make me remember the disturbing pro-suicide song "Suicide is Painless" written by Johnny Mandel, and sung by Ken Prymus, which was the theme song to the movie M*A*S*H (1970). [Marilyn Manson did a cover, and even he claimed it "was offensive"!]

The final lyrics in the song have always haunted me;

"A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
'is it to be or not to be'
and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

'Cause suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
...and you can do the same thing if you choose.
"

Apparently is was written when he was only 14-years old. A most worrying point...

The true danger with many suicides are they are usually with ones who live like stoics, who endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining. One of the most serious problems is that those who are in depression withdraw into themselves and focus on their own worries than consider who it would affect beyond them. Most, I'd assume, could also be feeling that taking their life would instead take the burden off others. Regardless, people in such states are not thinking properly or sensibly anyway, so there is no logical solution to their perceived problems in their moments of some distorted reality. (Pity there is no option like in the ol' Roman days, where taking one's life was a matter of personal honour and it should not be take away for trivial matters. Being considered graceless.)

I'd also assume one way of stopping someone from taking their life would be to encourage them to think of the consequence their action would have on others losing them.
Note 1: Writing on this subject disturbs me somewhat. In today's society, family, and one or two friends might be upset (for a while at least) with my passing; but after the funeral, life goes on with or without me. See criminals killing others and receiving minimal sentences for their crime, seems to infer we take human life fairly cheaply. I'd assume that the less valueless life becomes in Society, the higher the rate of suicide.
Note 2: I've also wonder why religions consider suicide an unforgivable sin. Is it really because they believe life is sacred; or is it because they have a fear their grip promising other eternal life beyond the church and the authorities of the church control over their own followers?

Last edited by Antitheist; 22nd November 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 22nd November 2010, 04:15 AM
fiesty red-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitheist View Post
Note 2: I've also wonder why religions consider suicide an unforgivable sin. Is it really because they believe life is sacred; or is it because they have a fear their grip promising other eternal life beyond the church and the authorities of the church control over their own followers?
Interesting question.

The "politically correct" church answer in a nut shell is, "If god wanted you to die, you'd be dead. Suicide interferes with god's will for your life. He doesn't give you more than you can handle."

The real reason the church doesn't want you offing yourself, takes away bums from pews and coppers from the collection plate. Plus it makes them look bad.
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitheist View Post
Interesting thoughts although I can add one thing, while it is true in Islam and most forms of Christianity suicide is a unforgiveable sin and you go straight to hell. However in Protestantism so long as the person is a Christian they still go to heaven, even if they kill themselves.

How do I know about this may I ask. Well an Evangelical Christian I knew killed himself last year and his friends at the funeral I spoke to had no doubt he would be in the arms of his beloved Jesus.