Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 25th July 2010, 03:16 PM

Default Re: The Rough and Tumble of Debate

I don't have sympathy for the deist's position; their arguments were apalling and deserved to be vigorously refuted. Good points were made by the atheists (I'm not saying they weren't) but the overall tone of the thread was not as "classy" as I thought it could have been.

Referring to earlier posts on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Ripper idea, youngmoigle. I have a suggestion; write a little note to one of those deism fellows and ask them to concentrate on ideas, there's a good chap. I'm sure it will get things back on track right away.
There's my point - the very first response to my post is dripping with sarcasm. Perhaps I should write a note (perhaps not) but surely the suggestion could be made without the "tone".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic please View Post
@youngmoigle: if you don't have the time or inclination to wade through the entire Deist thread (probably a very sensible response! ), I posted something pertaining to this here.
Despite the qualifying "if", you are making an assumption; incorrect as it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
So you feel the Deists are winners? I didn't realise it was a competition!
It's just a turn of phrase and you probably recognised it as such - so why take the cheap shot?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by these responses, I'm just thinking "how petty".

Old 25th July 2010, 03:30 PM
Extant

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoigle View Post
... the overall tone of the thread was not as "classy" as I thought it could have been.
I am smitten low by my lack of worthiness with respect to your sense of class. Oops! Cheap sarcasm again.

Quote:
There's my point - the very first response to my post is dripping with sarcasm. ... surely the suggestion could be made without the "tone".
Why?

Well, why?

To satisfy your sense of tone, about how we each, individually, should conduct ourselves?

I consider my behaviour ethically and argumentatively reasonable. I expect that some will be offended. I do not inevitably agree that they should.
Old 25th July 2010, 03:46 PM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Actually the more ridiculous the argument, the harder it is to keep a straight face. I think Xeno contained himself very well. As much as I would have loved to have gotten deeper into the discussion, I just couldn't understand their explanations of their position. And they were not really appreciating the questions, which they 'offered' in advance to answer, but didn't.
Old 25th July 2010, 03:51 PM
Extant

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by these responses, I'm just thinking "how petty".
I neglected to mention that this is pretty much what I thought of your OP, hence my response. I have no general disagreement with your posts elsewhere.

If we take the thread to which you refer, I submit (without protecting myself by checking back) that I was initially polite to each of stretmediq, CC and iDF even though my questions were plain. As they failed to answer, changed the subject or generally got sillier, I took a harder line. Is that not fair?

It is true that I gave gainesvillecathy a fright but she was already offering new-age nonsense, had failed to answer, and I rather suspected she was not familiar with Rule #3.
Old 25th July 2010, 03:54 PM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

Quote:
I'm just thinking "how petty".
Pot meet kettle maybe ?
Old 25th July 2010, 04:46 PM
Don't believe everything you read.. that's called "gullibility".
Super Moderator

Quote:
Despite the qualifying "if", you are making an assumption; incorrect as it happens.
I disagree; I was actually making no assumption as to whether you had read the entire thread or not, and simply provided the link for your (and everyone's) convenience, which you were free to ignore if you had already seen/remembered the relevant post... maybe substituting the words "in case" for "if" might have expressed it better....

I'm not offended either, just confused as to how what I considered proper courtesy ends up being interpreted as "how petty"
Old 25th July 2010, 05:31 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's just a turn of phrase and you probably recognised it as such - so why take the cheap shot?
Cheap shot? You made a point of comparison and I reflected on it... if by turn of phrase you didn't actually mean 'winner' then I guess you must of meant something along the lines of:

More respectable? Hrmm.. they went back and were disrespecting us openly right from the get go, didn't even get to know us before they judged us... then referring to us as a cult and fundamentalists, over what? Mainly Stret running home QQ'ing having realised his approach didn't work, his attempt to educate the 'uneducated' failing again, he couldn't answer general questions, instead just pointing at his beloved essay telling us to study it, just like theists do with their bible... he had no time for people who wouldn't read and understand it as he did. So that doesn't really work.

More mature? Start with Stret stomping his feet when we wouldn't read his so called 'essay' and the following belittling and contemptuous attitude. So that doesn't really work for me either.

I don't know, you tell me? You made a point comparing this situation with another... your point to me was that the visitors were the ones coming off better.

To be honest I am over excusing and making excuses for people who visit a specific forum with such a diverse amount of people you can get armed with an agenda. In this case a wall of overbaked text that is supposed to explain everything? Hows about getting to know the people then asking for our views on things... gauge the responses and maybe then discuss all things godly from their perspective in a neutral environment or at least in basic terms not trying to convince anyone either way... maybe just exploring points etc.

I can tell you now, there is no way I would go on to any other forum and start peddling Atheism in that manner. Make my atheism known, sure, learn about their beliefs, opinions, get to know the people, ask a few basic questions etc then test the water. If I strutted in and dumped a thesis like that in any other forum I would either be kicked out, ignored or laughed out of the place.

The problem is they thought Ervin's invitation meant come over and explain why he is now a Deist by explaining Deism... it could have worked but the method of delivery didn't. I am starting to think by reading gainesvillecathy's reponses last night about one persons view/behaviour not necessarily being what others think or that it covers their belief, may have been a polite admission that she agrees it could have been done better.

bleh, I was pretty much over this anyway.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:35 PM

youngmoigle has that darkest of powers obviously; the ability to accurately interpret precise tone from the written word, sans all projection.:eyeroll:

Yes, I'm being sarcastic and whilst I'll defend your right to be offended at will, you have no right to not be. So, take your petty grievances to your mummy, who might give a damn. I'm about as interested in them as I am in the game of goal-post chess employed by the deists. Stupid ideas don't deserve respect and telling someone their ideas are stupid is not a personal attack and hardly even rude unless they are so fragile that they think they are their ideas. Let's face it, our recent visitors hardly came here in the spirit of mutual debate and learning - we have been a great big google words exercise for them and nothing more. Bloody evangelising.

Fuck, we're going to need a bigger waaaambulance station around here if all this PC wailing keeps up!
If we are puzzled by why the world is one way rather than some other way that it might have been, our puzzlement cannot be removed by supposing that the world is the way it is because God chose to make it that way. - Prof Graham Oppy
Old 25th July 2010, 11:03 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
I don't have sympathy for the deist's position; their arguments were apalling and deserved to be vigorously refuted. Good points were made by the atheists (I'm not saying they weren't) but the overall tone of the thread was not as "classy" as I thought it could have been.

Referring to earlier posts on this thread:

There's my point - the very first response to my post is dripping with sarcasm. Perhaps I should write a note (perhaps not) but surely the suggestion could be made without the "tone".

I'm not being any more of a cunt than I normally am when I ask: Can you provide me with 1) a list of rhetorical practices which you deem appropriate for responding to bullshit; and, 2) a decent fucking argument supporting each and demonstrating why others are not appropriate?

Bear in mind, here, that I don't actually give the slightest of rodent sex about other posters' approaches, so you won't get squat from me on it. I'm curious about whether my approach has contributed to you feeling uneasy or whatever, and if so I'd like to see you quote cases. Yes, this post is all about me. So fucking what?

(Of course, you'll completely defuse me if your response is something like "no, I have no problem with your approach, go to it with a will". Won't make any difference, of course, but at least it will acknowledge the existence of the approach, and draw a line between it and whatever the hell you're complaining about.

@Goldenmane3
goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com
Old 26th July 2010, 07:18 AM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Don't like christianity? Why be an atheist, when you can be a Deist based on your love of nature and our fake understanding of science. Activate your quantum intuition now and explore the mystery of universe's finetuning which sprang from the bigbang's boson singularity. Feel the love of Creation as we embrace the consciousness of evolution.

To find your purpose in existence, call now!