Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 26th June 2010, 11:26 AM
Minister for Defense

Default Hi Everybody

My name is Andrew, and I'm a Cowan*

My parents, well-meaning people they are, first exposed me to the demon religion at the tender age of five, having had no experience of it in our lapsed Cathoholic/lapsed Presbyterian household prior to starting school at St Patricks Blacktown. <waves to all the fellow Westies in the audience.>

In the same way black's pretty to the pure at heart (apologies to the late, great Ronnie James Dio) I thought all the pageantry and trappings were kinda cool for a while. I still think it's got the edge on the rest for a rich, evocative background (but that may be my culture speaking)

It didn't take too long to twig that the fervour of the school was at odds with the apathy at home. Funny how the folks defend it all now that I'm a disbeliever yet were uninterested when I was a pious wee tacker telling them they should get themselves to mass.

The great thing about going to a Catholic school is that you get a fantastic education in the meaning of "bullshit", "rationalisation", "oxymoron" and "hypocrisy", among other cool big words. I credit my ever-growing disenchantment with the Mass delusion (has anyone used that before? It seems too obvious to be new) with half my vocabulary.

I got to see small, poor working-class kids bullied out of their lunch money to give to "the missions" by the monks. Glad I was then that we were too poor for money and I brought leftover sandwiches to school. Can't tax them, you bastards.

It's a weird irony that I actually DID get a pretty good education out of it - and that they themselves equipped me with the logic to see through their bullshit. A religion class in the morning is not enough to stave off the difficult questions posed by the science class in the afternoon. Yes, we learned about evolution. And the heliocentric theory of the solar system. And geology, and biology, and a thousand other things that have me shaking my head anyone can still make it past page one of Genesis without saying, "hang on."

Over the intervening years (I'll be 47 this October) I've become more and more impatient with the default social setting that God is watching all we good Xians, and more despondent that so many people of influence are touched by Mass delusion. And seeing so much evil inflicted in the name of whatever deity takes people's fancy.

So now I've very little patience for the stubborn theists. Apart from the sheer stupidity of their dogma, I've no patience for their continued acts of violence, oppression and bigotry.

I know a couple of people here; SinisterDexter I know through another forum, and WeAreStardust I know both through the same forum (ok, it's toy soldiers, alright?) and in real life. We see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, and not so on other things (which is nice).

I have a 21yo son who is sensible enough not to have fallen for any of the shite along the way, despite having had the same schooling (not my choice) inflicted upon him growing up. I also have two small kids (5yo son and 2yo daughter) who I'll be vigilantly defending from the taint of delusion for the next twenty years or so.

Well, I guess I've banged on for long enough now. I suppose you'll be getting to know me the hard way from here on in.

;-)

Cheers for now

*Cowan - what the Pagans call non-believers, roughly analogous to "muggles" from Harry Potter. I like it because it throws the theists who are trained to respond to the word "atheist". I also like it because, like me, theists are ALSO Cowans, and it helps to ram home the "we're all atheists, you just haven't shed the last one" point.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:32 AM
Burp!!!!
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hi Everybody

Welcome Andrew, it was a pleasure to read your post. I am very happy that you are here and I am really looking forward to what you have to say.

Thanks for sharing. If you have any questions, the mods are here to help.

Excuse the silly birds, we seem to have gone a bit strange today.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 26th June 2010, 11:33 AM
PM with no specific plan

Welcome aboard Senexis, good to see another rationalist

mmm Cowan neat like it must through them.

Robert
mmm go figure

http://betterhuman.org/
Old 26th June 2010, 11:35 AM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Hi Senexis

Not all of us are strange.

There's a madman proselylysing for Pikkiwoki (he's the one with a bird for an avatar), but apart from him you sound like you'll fit right in.

Old 26th June 2010, 11:37 AM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

Hi senexis,
Just another bird popping in to welcome you. Dont worry, we dont always dress like this. Your intro was great and Im sure you'll enjoy it here. Welcome.

Last edited by Annie; 26th June 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:44 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Welcome Senexis - any friend of WAS's is [probably] a friend of ours

And yes, please excuse our costumes. There seems to be something in the birdseed, sorry, water of late.

Cowan? Well I've been called at least half of that word many a time

Enjoy the forums.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:57 AM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

Glad you could make it. I wear my nerdness on my sleeve and nobody seems too upset (I just get ignored if it is too obvious). I should point out to all and sundry that whereas I am medium height, bald and rotund, Senexis is something like 6'7" and plays and coaches American Football and is built accordingly.

@ everyone else: I think I preferred the semi-clad female demon avatars. And that avatar of Black's is the ugliest fucking goat I have ever seen.

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:00 PM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Not all of us are strange
Only the interesting ones.

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:02 PM
Don't believe everything you read.. that's called "gullibility".
Super Moderator

Hi Senexis, excellent first post, welcome to the forum, hope you like

@WAS: +1 to your taste in avatars...
Old 26th June 2010, 01:23 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Default Hi Everybody

Gudday gudday hope you have fun here, it's easy to get stuck in the conversations and a great bunch of people

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?