Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 23rd June 2010, 08:46 AM

Default Greetings

Who I am is not important, what I am going to say is. It seems some of are aware of the so ACL (Australian Christian Lobby) and their recent debate (ie: by this link http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...ead.php?t=6229)

I find that the actions taken by this lobby group are apprehensible at best, the net filter is an attempt by this government to win over the so called Christian vote, and ignoring gay marriage . Now before we start flaming all religious people I know a lot who are annoyed by this, and they are also worried about such a lobby group.

I am worried by this lobby group, and I want to ask you if you would like to join me in trying to establish our own presence to the government, now I dont just mean Atheist, but any abled person who believes in maintaining religion out of politics. I know that the Australian constitution does not separate church and state. However given the rise of the religious right in the US a similar rise here would not be too far off.

Along with most of the educated middle class now ignoring politics and not caring I think it will be dishonest of us not to make our voices heard NOW, if we do nothing and all we are offered are ethically questionable political choices we have nothing but our selves to blame for our political inactivity.

I would like to see the Australian Secular Lobby and the Atheist Foundation coordinate a response and attempt to get politicians answer to everybody else who is not in the christian lobby.

Please feel free to contact me, lets make it a civil discourse.

Regards
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:14 AM
-

Default Re: Greetings

Welcome aboarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd! I am also worried about the bullies (the ACL, Hillsong, etc) as well. One main prob: they receive passive support by people of faith, including the pollies.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:33 AM
Burp!!!!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrddian View Post
Who I am is not important, what I am going to say is.

Actually, I think who you are is important.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:38 AM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

Hi there myrddian. Welcome to this forum.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
Hi, Myrddian.

I understand that many readers of this forum are already aware of the Australian Secular Lobby, the Sex Party, and the moves of other bodies against the net filter.

What does your group bring to the table?
Hi there

I am sure that many of you are, and I've already contacted the ASL, I have not contacted the Sex Party or any other political party. What I was after was a united reply from the AFA and the ASL in regards to this issue and push the political parties into a debate.

I don't represent a group, I can only speak for my self, but what I would like do to is help the AFA and the ASL regarding this issue, and I am looking for similarly minded people to make this happen.

I will not hide the fact that I want to expose the ACL and check their political maneuvers, and make sure that an irreligious/secular voice is heard through the media.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:19 AM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

Quote:
I will not hide the fact that I want to expose the ACL and check their political maneuvers, and make sure that an irreligious/secular voice is heard through the media.
I dont think you'll have many arguments here for this.

Facebook Page
Facebook Group

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh
Cthulhu R'lyeh
wgah'nagl fhtagn
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:39 AM

welcome Myrrdian, Australian secular party is really cool. I am a member and sometimes I go to their meetings.

I know president John Perkins. He is a realy nice person. Anyway, good luck with everything.

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:40 PM

I would certainly like to speak to Mr. Perkins, however at the moment my short-term aim is just to check the ACL on this political move.

I am going to write a letter to my MP and state how worried I am about this move that the parties are undertaking, however I would like to see all of you do this as well, I assume at some point I would also like to talk to a person from the AFA and see if they can get a statement out, and help coordinate this with the ASL.

Crocodile said
<quote>
Welcome aboarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd! I am also worried about the bullies (the ACL, Hillsong, etc) as well. One main prob: they receive passive support by people of faith, including the pollies.
</quote>

Thank you ^_^
I think they speak for a minority, I am pretty sure we can get people of faith who don't agree with the ACL - We can undermine their position by presenting alternative points of view and playing their hand hard, what policies they represent vs what society needs and has advanced to. You know women right to choose, I am pretty sure there are religious women out there who don't like the idea of not having abortion, same as I am pretty sure there are religious people out there who would like to see stem cell research.

These are issues which the ACL lobbies for (I think given their mandate), but they don't advertise these issues to general public (at least from what I've seen), so their passive support is there via fiat, and one that can be reduced quite easily.

Oh yeah , my e-mail is enzo.adrianreyes@remove-me.gmail.com if people wish to contact me ^_^ .. haha I forgot ..

Last edited by myrddian; 23rd June 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:05 PM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

howdy and welcome

Oh, and

Quote:
<quote>
</quote>
that's be square brackets you'll be wanting. Or, just click the "quote" button.

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:23 PM
herping and derping
Administrator

Default Greetings

Hiya and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it

There are a number of the AFA committee members on the forum, but best to just email or use the contact form on the website if you want a more formal response and have a direct query.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?