Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 24th October 2010, 08:13 PM
-

Default Re: You are NOT a christian if you answer NO to ANY of the following questions

And some new items doth be added, bringing the last item to Item XXX and here they are:
XIII. Can the name "God" be used as profanity? (Leviticus 22:32)
XIV. Is the name "God" meant to be kept holy, that is, not used as a profanity? (Leviticus 22:32)
Thanks to atheist_angel for the references.

Also added some indentation to the list because some of the numbers were bleeding out from the left hand side of the post border.

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 24th October 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 25th October 2010, 05:33 AM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Default Re: You are NOT a christian if you answer NO to ANY of the following questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
It's starting to look quite impressive, this Book Of Crocodile.
Isn't it, though.

What an enormous amount of hard work it must take to be a 'proper christian'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
And some new items doth be added, bringing the last item to Item XXX and here they are:
XIII. Can the name "God" be used as profanity? (Leviticus 22:32)
XIV. Is the name "God" meant to be kept holy, that is, not used as a profanity? (Leviticus 22:32)
Thanks to atheist_angel for the references.

Also added some indentation to the list because some of the numbers were bleeding out from the left hand side of the post border.
Awe. You're welcome, Croc.

I wasn't expecting a mention.

Last edited by atheist_angel; 25th October 2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post

As for the Holy Spirit being a 'ghost', well that's just your interpretation of this. Going over what the New Testament actually has to say about this, the impression I get is that the 'Holy Spirit' is a characteristic, like creativity or intelligence, of God, rather than a separate entity, one of the sources for this interpretation of mine being the first chapter of the Gospel of John. Trinitarianism, as a central tenet of Christianity, only came into existence centuries after the gospel books were written, and so therefore this concept is obviously false even if one confines oneself to the internal evidence of the Bible itself.

My King James Bible clearly refers to a "Holy Ghost"

Is calling someone a fool, punishable by Hell fire? Mathew 5:22
Old 25th October 2010, 11:30 PM
-

Thus, did the items surpass the list. And it was here that added, they be:
XXX. Does God become judgemental when you get angry at your brother? (Matthew 5:22)
XXXI. Is calling someone a fool punishable by Hell fire? (Matthew 5:22)
Courtesy to bruce1937
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:28 AM
-

Exclamation Re: You are NOT a christian if you answer NO to ANY of the following questions

Today I worked out (thanks to the help of a friend) that one of the items may be incorrect:

Quote:
XX. Are handicapped people (as well as those mentioned above) forbidden from entering the kingdom of heaven and god? (Lev.21:17-23)
The strange thing is the NIV and NLT appear to say similar stuff (although I must have been super fatigued when I interpreted it - because I am sure they were very very different!) and refer to bringing the food of god; deaf+dumb+blind are forbidden to bring in the food of god. Nothing about them not going to heaven.

I think this has more to do with offerings than going to heaven.

Before I do edit the list, perhaps someone more experienced than I am in this area can enlighten me into what the real meaning of this is? (now has anybody seen where goat and that Biblical Historian went)
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:43 AM
-

I have read the relevant portions of the two thingehs you linked to Black - I have modified the item on the list (original item is there but strike-thru'd) to "Are handicapped people (as well as those mentioned above) forbidden to become priests and/or bring offerings to the altar?" as it seems more correct to me and given the sources too.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:10 PM
sjd3
This message has been deleted by sjd3.
Old 18th April 2011, 04:01 PM
-

NEW ITEM ADDED:
XXXIV. Is it God who creates evil? (Isiah 45:7)
Original discovery thanks to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoigle View Post
Theists say: God didn't directly create evil

God says: I make peace and create evil. Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
Old 18th April 2011, 04:31 PM
Extant

Bible versions since the 1980s usually translate "evil" in this passage as "disaster" or "calamity" and in the 2007 new super squeaky clean version it becomes "bad times". Next version he will only bring stale croissants.

Isaiah 31:2 also states god will bring evil (or disaster in modern versions). Exegesis apparently holds that evil means everything bad except sin, which was made by men and not by god (but god made men, so ...??). Anyway, remember that if men do to people things god does to them then it is sin but if god does them it is not sin. Clear?
Old 18th April 2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Anyway, remember that if men do to people things god does to them then it is sin but if god does them it is not sin. Clear?
"Do as I say, not as I do." Classic catchphrase of tyrannical hypocrites everywhere.
Apparently, if God kills children, not only is it OK, its a moral standard.

Sent from my HTC Desire using my penis as a capacitive stylus.

The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and a seal.

-- Mark Twain

Old 18th April 2011, 06:05 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Teapot View Post
Sent from my HTC Desire using my penis as a capacitive stylus.
It has very fine control!

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)