Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 5th July 2010, 11:44 AM

Default Re: You are NOT a christian if you answer NO to ANY of the following questions

I only said yes to Zombies xD
Old 6th July 2010, 03:00 PM
-

Default Re: You are NOT a christian if you answer NO to ANY of the following questions

What about vampires?
Old 13th July 2010, 12:36 PM

Buggar! I blew the lot, too. Downstairs I go ...
Old 24th July 2010, 01:27 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

I need to ask which translation of the books of the Bible did you use as a source. King James Version, New King James Version, New International Version, The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures...?

I ask because I just can't seem to find about half of what you mention (ex. zombies) in my copy, which is the New King James Version. By 'zombies', can I assume you mean the characters in the New Testament who were brought back to life? If this is the case then your usage of this term is misleading, if only because they were not 'half-dead' after their revival from death; they were as alive as they had been before.

As for the Holy Spirit being a 'ghost', well that's just your interpretation of this. Going over what the New Testament actually has to say about this, the impression I get is that the 'Holy Spirit' is a characteristic, like creativity or intelligence, of God, rather than a separate entity, one of the sources for this interpretation of mine being the first chapter of the Gospel of John. Trinitarianism, as a central tenet of Christianity, only came into existence centuries after the gospel books were written, and so therefore this concept is obviously false even if one confines oneself to the internal evidence of the Bible itself.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:01 PM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Given the absence of any empirical observation of the phenomena you reference how can one possible interpretation be given credence over another?

Perhaps this is the point of interpretations you might find flippant?

Old 24th July 2010, 02:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
I need to ask which translation of the books of the Bible did you use as a source. King James Version, New King James Version, New International Version, The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures...?
I used a bit of the King James Version for some, and the NIV for others.

I don't think it was the New King James Version though.

Quote:
I ask because I just can't seem to find about half of what you mention (ex. zombies) in my copy, which is the New King James Version. By 'zombies', can I assume you mean the characters in the New Testament who were brought back to life? If this is the case then your usage of this term is misleading, if only because they were not 'half-dead' after their revival from death; they were as alive as they had been before.
Basically the definition of "zombie" I am going with in this case, is that a zombie is some previously living thing that has been deceased, then risen from the dead somehow.

Also, Jesus was risen from the dead after he died.

Quote:
As for the Holy Spirit being a 'ghost', well that's just your interpretation of this. Going over what the New Testament actually has to say about this, the impression I get is that the 'Holy Spirit' is a characteristic, like creativity or intelligence, of God, rather than a separate entity, one of the sources for this interpretation of mine being the first chapter of the Gospel of John. Trinitarianism, as a central tenet of Christianity, only came into existence centuries after the gospel books were written, and so therefore this concept is obviously false even if one confines oneself to the internal evidence of the Bible itself.
"Spirit" is synonymous to "ghost" is it not?

I would like to know which items of the list are wrong though. A few I looked at Skeptics Annotated Bible for the info.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:18 AM
-

More stuff added - thanks to this fine post by Annie
Old 17th September 2010, 09:40 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
More stuff added - thanks to this fine post by Annie
Most amusing! Thank you!
Old 17th September 2010, 04:52 PM
Over and Out
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Moloney View Post
Most amusing! Thank you!
It would be if it wasn't so sad.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 28th September 2010, 06:48 PM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

I think you got your thread back croc. Now where were we?