Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 6th May 2010, 09:36 AM
AFA Member

Exclamation How to kick out the Mother-in-law.

This is more of a rant and getting it off my chest than anything, so here it goes. (I wasn't sure where to post, as it is family related I thought I'd stick it in here.)

Bit of a long story, so I'll try and keep it shortish where possible.

Ok, first things first, my partner (in crime) was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 10 months ago, she was in huge amounts of pain and hospitalised for about a week and a bit from it. At the same time her mother threw her job in as a receptionist at a local dentist.(dumb move in my book). My better half needed someone to keep an eye on her for a while, and her mother needed a new place to stay, we have ample room here so I suggested she move in.

All was going good until the start of december, next thing I know, rent isn't being paid.....

Now, I was only asking for $100 a week for her and her 16 year old daughter until she got a job than it'd go up to $150 a week, considering the price of rent these days, and the fact I am trying to pay this house off, I thought it was a great deal....

The Mother-in-law (MIL) has a few debts, credit cards, car, that sort of thing, I was understanding and said "look, I do understand, but you still need to contribute something...."
So the week after I got half the rent, I said to her that was ok but she really needs to get a job and pull her own weight.
Just after xmas, rent stopped completely. I started to get a bit miffed (at first)

She just couldn't afford it she'd say, but she had the money to smoke, drink 2 cartons of coke a week and buy those take 5 and what not magazines. I wasn't asking her to pay the full $100 at this point, just contribute something, like $50 a week, NOPE...

Over the last 2-3 months have been rather crap for me, trying to study, work full-time away from home, juggling the bills as my better half isn't able to work just yet.Comming home to a house that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in dog knows how long. If you are not paying rent and pleading for leniency, Personally I expect some house work to be done.

It was really getting to me, BIG TIME. My power bill had gone through the roof, I was having to call the power company to extend the paying of the bill etc. Things being used and just left where the were.

Now I did mention earlier on the daughter... yes well, at 16 she should be helping out etc. nope just eats, sits on her computer and generally exists without helping out... She dosn't want to go to school etc. The MIL asked if my partner and I can intervene and make her go to school......errrrr ok.

Hang on, You're her mother. you do it. What the hell?

So anyways, yester day they both got their 3 week notice, out, out, out.

No if's, no but's, just plain get out of my house you free loading BIATCH. and take your good for nothing 16 year old daughter with you. leave my partner in peace.
Financially we will be a bit tight, but we have been for the past 6 or so months anyway. Then again, my power bill should be much less.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by loubert; 6th May 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:43 AM
One half of
Super Moderator

Default Re: How to kick out the Mother-in-law.

Mother in law= woman hitler.

You did all you could.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 6th May 2010, 11:01 AM

Good on you, loubert. You really did not have any reason not to throw them out, as reason didn't work with either of them.
How is your better half - any improvement? It's a very troublesome pain condition but there are remedies, if you can find a physio who understands pain physiology...and that is no easy task, unfortunately. Rather scarce, in fact.

nari
Old 6th May 2010, 11:32 AM
AFA Member

Thanks guys.

Nari, there is improvement, a lot in the last 10 months, slowly but surely.

Luckily we have a pain managment clinic here in townsville. free Dr, free OT and free psych as well. They are great and do a good job.

Old 6th May 2010, 01:48 PM
AFA Member

Well loubert you've been a lot more patient than I would have been.

Yep give em the boot - you should tell the MIL that you only have her welfare at heart and kicking her out will help her learn to be an adult and improve her as a human (then go and puke).
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 6th May 2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
Well loubert you've been a lot more patient than I would have been.

Yep give em the boot - you should tell the MIL that you only have her welfare at heart and kicking her out will help her learn to be an adult and improve her as a human (then go and puke).
+1
If they cant pull their weight they need to move on and discover how the world really works.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:31 PM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Was she really intending to "help" ...or just happy to seize the opportunity to have an easier ride?

Let's say, I'm suspicious of her initial intentions.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:48 PM
Ice cream stealing feminazi.

Loubert, you did well.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:02 PM

Good luck, I wouldn't have lasted as long as you did.

Hope things improve quickly for your partner and the professional good management continues.
Old 24th May 2010, 01:39 PM
AFA Member

Just a quick update

SHE IS GONNEEEE!!!!!