Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 18th March 2010, 02:58 AM

Default Kind of a story.

Thanks to my loving parents I was not indoctrinated into any particular religion, I was left to figure out my beliefs or lack thereof. Now I was never a believer, but I was never outspoken either, I thought what I thought, and let the religious people what they think.

It wasn’t until high school that I really began to listen to what the religion teachers were teaching, and it was then that I came to the conclusion (I’m sure many of you came to the same conclusion) that God and religion in general, are bullshit. You know the typical, “God is sexist, racist, xenophobic, etc, etc..!” realisation. So I began to look for some more literature that would satisfy my atheistic hunger.

I searched the world for many years collecting ancient works of Greek philosophers, scouring old cluttered libraries, and questioning the great intellectual thinkers of the time.

Okay, I looked on Google, and read and old copy of the Origin of Species. But the point is, I was content with my non-belief, I was learning and happy. But I still didn’t feel the need to openly question religious people, not until a fateful RE class, one grey December morn. (Cue foreboding music)

Now being a bit of a rebel at 17, I went and got myself tattooed, not a small one mind you, I went all out and got a sleeve (shoulder to wrist). So here I am in RE class, happy as could be with my new artwork. So what does the teacher do you ask, well he gets up in front of the class with a sad look on his face and announces that I’m going to hell, and unlike the rest of the students, I can’t be saved, unless of course I get me tattoos removed…

So long story short, from then on I have become far more outspoken about my ‘non-beliefs’, questioning theists wherever I can.

Oh, and sorry for the long and grammatically incorrect rant…
"There is not one human alive capable of justifiably claiming authority in being the ethical arbiter and spokes-person for the rest. We should therefore disallow one, or a small unrepresentative number, to rule over our access to new experiences." - David Nicholls
Old 18th March 2010, 03:11 AM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Default Re: Kind of a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
So what does the teacher do you ask, well he gets up in front of the class with a sad look on his face and announces that I’m going to hell, and unlike the rest of the students, I can’t be saved, unless of course I get me tattoos removed…
Are you saying he was using guilt to promote the 'good word'?

He he... see you in hell :P

Good story, thanks.
Old 18th March 2010, 03:20 AM

Haha thanks guys.
"There is not one human alive capable of justifiably claiming authority in being the ethical arbiter and spokes-person for the rest. We should therefore disallow one, or a small unrepresentative number, to rule over our access to new experiences." - David Nicholls
Old 18th March 2010, 06:58 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Great story Ink - thanks

So no tattoos in heaven either eh? I swear that place has the worst marketing department ever! Who'd want to go there?!
Old 18th March 2010, 09:21 AM

So no tattoos allowed at the pearly gates? Idols? Devils incarnate?
My son-in-law has a large tattoo on his deltoid of a very precious dog he and my daughter lost 3 years ago. It's beautifully copied from a drawing and I think it's great.

More useful than any gravestone inscription.

nari
Old 18th March 2010, 10:02 AM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Apparently, Nothing is Sacred Anymore! hehe.

I've asked people that have those crucifixion tats about this before......

One said, "Oh, I don't believe in g-d, I just like the body art."
Old 31st March 2010, 02:00 PM
is thinking pensively...

Ink is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone! That's what i would have said anyhow...btw what was the tattoo of if you don't mind my asking?
"God said it. I believe it. That settles it"...its really a masterpiece of concision. Acres of impenetrable theological bullshit have been whittled down to a simple definition of what faith actually is.
Pat Condell