Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 22nd February 2009, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

Classic article.

It also reminds me of Kissing Hank's Ass...
Old 24th February 2009, 03:12 PM
AFA Member. Naked fool.

Default Re: Imagine living in a society of Santa Clausians, what it feels like to be Atheist

I actually had a much worse time dealing with santa than god. I had figured out that santa wasn't magic, that there must be a santa per neighbourhood etc... but then I suddenly figured it all out and confronted my mother. I was OUTRAGED and so embarrassed that I had been LIED to all these years. I didn't have a very religious household so I didn't have any of this to contend with re god.
Old 24th February 2009, 03:34 PM
AFA Member. Naked fool.

the article is BRILLIANT. I may force it upon my entire family... although after already getting in tears over uranium on sunday i might let my uncle escape my emotional outbursts for a bit.
Old 24th February 2009, 07:26 PM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

I had an incling for a long time Santa wasn't real (because every year 'From Santa' was written in my mums distinct hand writing). But the moment though that I "exposed" it was when I was really young, and I opened up my present from Santa which was Newcastle Knights memorabilia ( ), and I went outside to show my grandparents and mum what I got, I overheard her say she found it at a shop at the local shopping centre. :O
Old 25th February 2009, 07:47 AM

Yes, I had cried when I was about 5 or 6 because they got me the wrong present and I wondered how they knew which store to return it to. Then when I was seven I saw where they hid the presents Now I wonder why it took so long for me to become an atheist...
I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?...Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? " ~Josiah Bartlet
Old 25th February 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
eclectic said View Post
I actually had a much worse time dealing with santa than god. I had figured out that santa wasn't magic, that there must be a santa per neighbourhood etc... but then I suddenly figured it all out and confronted my mother. I was OUTRAGED and so embarrassed that I had been LIED to all these years. I didn't have a very religious household so I didn't have any of this to contend with re god.
Funny thing Eclectic is that I too was outraged but provided the Santa Delusion to my own kids. Maybe its a good lesson in that nothing is what it seems and we can all be deluded if we really want something to be true. Perhaps?
Old 25th February 2009, 10:24 AM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

With no experience at all in Child raising, I would say I will probably one day use it just so I can keep my future kids in check for at least 4-5 years.

"If you don't stop being naughty Santa won't come" or
"Can I get that dad?" "Not now, maybe Santa will get it for you".

I'm all sorted. But it would have to be a tough time for parents when we discover the falseness of Santa, they must be thinking "Oh boy, what are we going to do now"