Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2018, 12:33 PM
Proceed at own risk

Default Re: I'm a what?

Quote:
Boris said View Post
Boys states facts not theories.
Boys?!

Isn't that a false dichotomy? Theories can also be facts.
*Theory of evolution
*theory of gravity
*theory of heliocentrism
*etc
Old 30th January 2018, 12:43 PM
Has soundpost

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
Quote:
Boris said View Post
Boys states facts not theories.
Boys?!

Isn't that a false dichotomy? Theories can also be facts.
*Theory of evolution
*theory of gravity
*theory of heliocentrism
*etc
I take it our interlocutor means "Boyce", although why he bothers giving her the status of an unquestionable authority, when he immediately goes on to misrepresent her, is itself a matter for conjecture.

What I see in the writings thus far, is what I would term a "Poe's Fool": ie, somebody who either:
(A) actually believes what they are saying to be coherent, logical, and persuasive, and is unable to comprehend both;
(i) that anyone would differ, and
(ii) the explanation of that incomprehensible "other" line of thought; OR
(B) is cleverly simulating such a person, in order to provoke or frustrate (see Fig 01).
Attached Images
File Type: png 01-winning-by-losing.png (251.5 KB, 43 views)

Barnyard has Family Values: he values families so highly he's already collected a few.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 30th January 2018 at 12:46 PM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 31st January 2018, 12:36 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Boris said View Post
I did not get an F at Uni I assure you. I am stating facts nor theories.
Hold on, are you talking about Uni, Japanese name for edible sea urchin gonads? Sorry, I'm skeptical Boris. Why wouldn't they give you an F for flatulence, as you seem to regularly blow it out of your arse?

Last edited by SEG; 31st January 2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 31st January 2018, 12:57 AM
Has soundpost

I understand this has gone on at length, so, before the Mods release the Kraken, I'd just like to ask:

1 - Why so important?

2 - Even if there was 100% god-congruence between the conquered Jews and their Persian overlords, for an instant, then acquired cultural preconceptions and later developments would have led to significant divergence.

3 - Thanks to successive overlords sitting on Israel, leading up to the Romans at the supposed time of Jesus, cultural influences changed Judaism. The Jewish religion that spawned Xtianity was not identical with the Judaism of Cyrus' time, so NO - the Xtian god is not the Zoroastrian god, unless one is twisting definitions for a cheap parlour trick.

4 - The disproportionate fury over being disagreed with... is that something medical?

5 - Is it actually possible to have a discussion without ballistic trivia? After all, the subject is like debating the shade of pink on the bum-cheeks of the third Underpants Gnome from the left - very indeterminate.

Barnyard has Family Values: he values families so highly he's already collected a few.

Old 31st January 2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Hold on, are you talking about Uni, Japanese name for edible sea urchin gonads? Sorry, I'm skeptical Boris. Why wouldn't they give you an F for flatulence, as you seem to regularly blow it out of your arse?
Always insults, always the devaluation of others, always denigration always put downs. You have no idea about me but you love to insult and hurt people and look for opportunities to do exactly that.
Old 31st January 2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
I understand this has gone on at length, so, before the Mods release the Kraken, I'd just like to ask:

1 - Why so important?

2 - Even if there was 100% god-congruence between the conquered Jews and their Persian overlords, for an instant, then acquired cultural preconceptions and later developments would have led to significant divergence.

3 - Thanks to successive overlords sitting on Israel, leading up to the Romans at the supposed time of Jesus, cultural influences changed Judaism. The Jewish religion that spawned Xtianity was not identical with the Judaism of Cyrus' time, so NO - the Xtian god is not the Zoroastrian god, unless one is twisting definitions for a cheap parlour trick.

4 - The disproportionate fury over being disagreed with... is that something medical?

5 - Is it actually possible to have a discussion without ballistic trivia? After all, the subject is like debating the shade of pink on the bum-cheeks of the third Underpants Gnome from the left - very indeterminate.
The Persian Period for the Jews began with Cyrus and the 2nd Isaiah which was a revolutionary change for the Jewish/Hebrew religion.

A revolutionary change because before Cyrus the Hebrews/Jews were polytheistic and worshiped a pantheon of gods and the women worshiped Asherah the wife of El (Ale).

Everywhere in archaeological excavations a female statuette is found representing Asherah but this suddenly stopped with The Babylonian liberation thanks to Cyrus.

Because of Cyrus the Jews/Hebrews instantly became monotheistic.

The pantheon was done away with thanks to Cyrus as over 500 years - think about that amount of time - 400 years since Shakespeare died = the Zoroastrians taught the Jews their religion.

In the Persian Period huge and earth changing changes to the religion were made and in the Septuagint Bible over 120 Avestan words - sacred words to the Zoroastrians only ever spoken and never written down until the Sasanian dynasty - are found in the Septuagint Bible - if they were Japanese words you would say the Japanese had a lot to do with the religion - but no they are Zoroastrian sacred words only used in prayer and worship.

The word "Paradise" is an Avestan word and yet it is in the Bible and even the New Testament with Jesus speaking Avestan as he is killed on the Cross (not that I believe that) and at the Christmas story the "wise men" are according to the original scripture "Magi" or Zoroastrian priests giving 3 Zoroastrian gifts Gold etc to the new Saoshyant.

So Zoroastrianism had a massive impact on Christianity - but I know I am wasting my time telling you this Mr Black et al because you have no thirst for knowledge and cannot be taught.

Last edited by Boris; 31st January 2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 31st January 2018, 08:33 AM
Has soundpost

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
Boris said View Post
I did not get an F at Uni I assure you. I am stating facts nor theories.
If we listen to Boris, we can learn something, even if it's like listening to an empty shell and hearing our own blood move.

First, we must keep our wits about us and not mistake the sound for the rush of the ocean.

Secondly, if we look closely at his words (and I won't go down the road of jumping on comical typos) we can see things:

(1) Boris did not get an F at Uni.
This does not imply anything other than that Boris did not get an F at Uni.

I didn't get Bronze at the last Helsinki Olympics. (Whenever they were)

I didn't get Gold, Silver, or even a place on the team. For that matter, I wasn't even there.

I did attend the Melbourne Olympics, but I didn't compete.

(2) Boris does not use "theories" in a way usually seen in academic disciplines.

This, combined with his apparent unawareness of the way claims are established, and theories are tested, would tend to show that Boris' current life is lived at some remove from academic discourse.

But I could be wrong.

For all we know, Boris may be a very tall Nobel laureate whose front door has a very low lintel, and repeated contact with the door frame may have driven much of his knowledge from him.

We must not say he never knew.

It is possible Boris maintains a keen knowledge of many things, and merely deigns not to use it on AFA, as our humble forums do not meet a set of unwritten criteria.

However, it is no good to weep, and beat our ichthyosaurian breasts at being weighed in the notional balance, and found wanting.

Perhaps we can learn from the hypothesis that "striking parallels, to some people, are complete equivalencies".

The persona Boris has projected here has striking (ie, so noticeable as to probably cause a palpable start in the witness) parallels (properties in common) with that of an unlettered, hectoring, repetitive, impenetrably solipsistic, oaf.

Perhaps that is not Boris: it may simply be that it is only what he has shared with us thus far.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 31st January 2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: oops - left out an important "not"
Old 31st January 2018, 08:43 AM
Has soundpost

Thanks for the interesting (if unreferenced) information, Boris.

I know Goldenmane has thanked you for the good bits, and, indeed, you've brought forth some new material.

Asherah is, of course, mentioned in the bible as one of the foreign gods "tempting" Israel, and a different reason for abolition of her worship (at least in public) is given there.

Just in case you are looking this time, I will repeat that cultural cross-pollination certainly occurred, and I have never denied it.

Certainly, the impact was colossal - one does not simply remove a whole people from their land and keep them captive elsewhere without some effect - and has echoed down the ages.

Boris, you know nothing of my thirst for knowledge, and in your haste you seem to have forgotten that I am the one who read a couple of entire books so I could engage in discussion.

Try showing more of what you actually know, giving due (cited!) credit to those from whom you acquired it, and we might even get on.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 31st January 2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: oops - ended a clause with a preposition. clumsy.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:05 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Boris said View Post
SNIP...

So Zoroastrianism had a massive impact on Christianity - but I know I am wasting my time telling you this Mr Black et al because you have no thirst for knowledge and cannot be taught.
Boris, all i can say to this bold bit is, yeah - that seems possible, i can accept that.

You seem to be retreating a fraction from the claim of 'exactly the same,' which i think has basically been the cause of the polemics around your posts here, so that's good.

As Black asked, why is this so important to you? Or, perhaps we could all just move on to another topic?

Or whatever. Although, I'm glad all the ink spent on this somewhat abstract point is virtual, otherwise it would really have been a profligate use of resources.
Old 31st January 2018, 03:45 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Boris said View Post
Always insults, always the devaluation of others, always denigration always put downs. You have no idea about me but you love to insult and hurt people and look for opportunities to do exactly that.
As I stated previously I'm skeptical Boris. Which uni did you attend and what did you study?
Closed Thread