Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2018, 08:13 AM

Default Re: I'm a what?

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
But Boris, humans and Bonobos aren’t the same, are they?
Humans and Bonobos have the SAME ancestor

Apes like Bonobos and Chimps and also some monkeys have now entered the "Stone Age" making and using stone tools.

I have personally witness a Bonobo lighting a fire and cooking food and he has a vocabulary of 130 English words he uses signs and symbols to express.

He is my first cousin.

We have the same ancestor.
Old 30th January 2018, 08:15 AM
An arthouse classic

Somebody thinks evolution is a linear progression in one direction, perhaps.

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

That which does not reflect, cannot be seen.

Old 30th January 2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Boris you're thinking of common ancestor. All species share common ancestors with others going back and ultimately a common ancestor.

Dawkins is always good value. The Darwinian understanding.

I ask again, have you read many other books besides Mary Boyce?

The more one reads, the more one apprehends the vast number of excellent books one won't ever get to read. One life, one take at it. Impressive books like Mary Boyce's get put more into context. Education is where it's at pretty much AFAICS.

I might suggest searching online for scholarly reviews and critique of Boyce if this particular subject, Boyce's theory is one you happen to have become struck by.

One has to be amenable to reading the proper reviews even if one is challenged.

Otherwise, at uni, you get an F: failing to demonstrate critical thinking, not demonstrating reading the polemics on the essay topic.
On this topic Boyce is THE authority but I have read others who agree with her. I have read many of her books more than once - studied them in fact. I have also read LH Mills. He translated Zoroastrian text into English and says the same thing as Boyce - it as plain as the nose on your face,

Please do not try to tell me about Biology and genetics.

Only crackpot Christians critique Boyce.

I did not get an F at Uni I assure you. I am stating facts nor theories. Boys states facts not theories.
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 30th January 2018, 08:20 AM
An arthouse classic

If somebody did well at university, they would know how to cite and reference.

ADDED: Gee whiz, if someone's university-acquired thinking skills weren't utterly atrophied, they might go back over their output to date, realise they have made some atrocious errors, told questioners to go and read a book, used only one source, threatened legal action for defamation of a one-word internet alias, offered physical violence as a convincing tactic, failed to cite source material in context, tried a dictionary twist on one phrase as a pivotal point of argument, appealed to emotion (the terminal thing), name-dropped (Hi, Richard Dawkins!), and broadly applied false equivalencies at the drop of an ichthyosaur's tit, and cease wondering why they weren't being taken seriously.

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 30th January 2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling fix
Like loubert, knowledge is power, DanDare liked this post
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Laugh at SEG laughed at this post
Old 30th January 2018, 09:45 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
Boris said View Post
Quote:
Strato said View Post
Boris you're thinking of common ancestor. All species share common ancestors with others going back and ultimately a common ancestor.

Dawkins is always good value. The Darwinian understanding.

I ask again, have you read many other books besides Mary Boyce?

The more one reads, the more one apprehends the vast number of excellent books one won't ever get to read. One life, one take at it. Impressive books like Mary Boyce's get put more into context. Education is where it's at pretty much AFAICS.

I might suggest searching online for scholarly reviews and critique of Boyce if this particular subject, Boyce's theory is one you happen to have become struck by.

One has to be amenable to reading the proper reviews even if one is challenged.

Otherwise, at uni, you get an F: failing to demonstrate critical thinking, not demonstrating reading the polemics on the essay topic.
On this topic Boyce is THE authority but I have read others who agree with her. I have read many of her books more than once - studied them in fact. I have also read LH Mills. He translated Zoroastrian text into English and says the same thing as Boyce - it as plain as the nose on your face,
Don't give a flying fuck if someone is a supposed or is an authority on a topic, it's the evidence, proofs and logic one uses to argue ones point that matters.
Just trotting out someone elses work and then claiming "but this person is THE authority on this subject" means diddly shit, in fact I would say it is a logical fallacy hence, https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

Quote:
Please do not try to tell me about Biology and genetics.
lol, why not?

Quote:
Nice binary outlay there, what a load of crap. It is on par with saying only deluded Jibbers Crabst worshipers doubt and critique Bohr.
Anyone can try and critique anyone they like, by making such an outlandish claim you are dismissing any argument without even listening to the argument, where the fuck have I seen that before... mmm

Quote:
I did not get an F at Uni I assure you. I am stating facts nor theories. Boys states facts not theories.
Don't fucking care what you got at uni, perhaps use some of that training and education to argue whatever point you are trying to make instead of hiding behind logical fallacies and accusations of foul treatment.

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 30th January 2018, 10:12 AM
An arthouse classic

Quote:
Boris said View Post
Because, if anybody else does it, the speed of light is devalued by 10%.

This is a known fact!

Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 30th January 2018, 10:21 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Boris said View Post
Humans and Bonobos have the SAME ancestor

Apes like Bonobos and Chimps and also some monkeys have now entered the "Stone Age" making and using stone tools.

I have personally witness a Bonobo lighting a fire and cooking food and he has a vocabulary of 130 English words he uses signs and symbols to express.

He is my first cousin.

We have the same ancestor.
Hang on, so now you're talking about the same ancestor not the 'same' all the way down? To reiterate, you are not a bonobo, you're a homo sapien, right? So you are not the same..., right? Bonobo - homo sapien = not the same.

For the sake of moving forward i'm happy to agree that the 'ancestor' of the three big monotheisms is Zoroastrianism (or to be more precise, Judaism lifted some principles of the Mazda character for its own use), but...as in the bonobo vs homo sapien analogy, they are not the same, right? They've culturally and imaginatively evolved to the point where there are very obvious differences between all four monotheisms - even though, as you persistently point out, they can trace certain aspects of their fictional gods to the fictional Mazda. Same ancestor, different species. Can we agree on that?

So what is the ancestor of Mazda?
Old 30th January 2018, 12:06 PM
An arthouse classic

Given a certain person's history thus far, I really want to believe the claim of university qualifications is untrue.

I wouldn't take kindly to somebody who knew what they were doing, and behaved in such a manner.

Old 30th January 2018, 12:13 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Given a certain person's history thus far, I really want to believe the claim of university qualifications is untrue.

I wouldn't take kindly to somebody who knew what they were doing, and behaved in such a manner.
Not all universities were born equal Mr Black. Why some of them let me in, to study and teach!
Old 30th January 2018, 12:32 PM
An arthouse classic

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

Not all universities were born equal Mr Black. Why some of them let me in, to study and teach!
Indeed, my Learned Colleague! Let us not forget the Weisswurstuniversitäten!

One of my fellow students at the Pastor Factory was passing, headed toward potential Bachelor quals, despite being third-grade literate.

Nah, it's where the rubber hits the road that counts. Pally's emotive appeals, poor argument presentation, failure to engage/rebut, and strident repetition of discredited material are telling me heaps.

And don't start me on his disregard of Mod instructions. That has to pay off eventually.

Like Darwinsbulldog, Stubby, SEG, DanDare liked this post
Closed Thread