Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 29th January 2018, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Hello to all!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. And thank you for letting me spruik, I promise I won’t just link drop!

In answer to Darwinsbulldog, I feel that my atheist views get stronger in the way that I care more. Years ago, I would have said I was agnostic, I didn’t want to ruffle feathers and felt that was a safe answer. But the more that I learn and see, the more I ‘care’ about my views that I fully believe a deity does not exist and struggle a lot when I see horrible horrible things said and done in the name of religion. Although labels are generally unhelpful, I have probably gone apatheist to atheist.

In answer to SEG, thanks for the question! The book is a re-telling of the ‘creation’ story from a different perspective. It doesn’t fit neatly into a genre, but dystopian fantasy would be a decent fit. It takes what we all know as the ‘traditional’ Christian creation story and turns it all on its head and paints ‘God’ in a very different light to what people would expect.

My goal with the books is to challenge perceptions of not only religious but social concepts and hope that it provokes the reader to view things far broader than just this book differently and through different lenses of perspective, hence the title ‘The Victory Perspective’. It is definitely a confronting read, but one that I think some of you might like. You can get it from Amazon.
http://amzn.to/2GpUGAr ebook and hard copies. It is also available on Kobo, Booktopia, Apple ibooks etc if you use a different e-reader.

If you want to check out a taster, the first chapter copy is on my website http://ejkellett.com/victory-perspective-chapter-one/

I look forward to contributing to some of the discussions in the forums, and of course am open to answering any questions from people who read the book
Like two dogs, DanDare liked this post
Old 31st January 2018, 12:01 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
EJ_Kellett said View Post
I look forward to contributing to some of the discussions in the forums, and of course am open to answering any questions from people who read the book
Please tell us about your journey to atheism EJ. Were you ever a Christian and if so what denomination?
Old 31st January 2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Please tell us about your journey to atheism EJ. Were you ever a Christian and if so what denomination?
My story is probably one of the more boring ones. I was raised in a non-religious household and was always allowed to make up my own mind on matters such as religion, which I consider to be one of the great feats of parenting on my Mum and Dad's behalf. This probably came about because my Mum's parents were Brethren (before they got chucked out of the church because my Grandma kept preaching, and my Grandad refused to stop her) after that quite amusing display of (kind of) feminism they went to the Baptists. My mum got jack of it at about 18 and told them she was no longer Christian. She was met with what I am sure is a standard response of 'we are devastated we will not see you in Heaven.'

Throughout my youth, I began to get a bit 'involved' in various Christian groups through friends. I generally just sat there and shut up and didn't say anything. I wanted to fly under the radar, but they all would have seen me coming as flicked through the entire bible to find a well known passage. Anyway, as I got older I started to become more confident in myself and was happy to voice my different views. Needless to say, these friendships soon fizzled as they decided I was just Heathen regardless and gave up trying to 'save' me. This experience with Christian youth generally acting a very petty and what i consider 'un-christian' manner sealed it for me.

My partner is also an ex-christian with slightly less interest in the atheist space to me. But in no way 'less atheist'. And I'm sure as the years go on, I will decently stuff up my kids by passing on my cynical and negative views...

So there is my decently uneventful journey to Atheism. I can see how my experience with religion and its people shaped my views though, it has definitely impacted why I decided to write a book that was so sacrilegious and blasphemous it would make any Christian's eyeballs fall out.
Old 31st January 2018, 03:57 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
My story is probably one of the more boring ones. I was raised in a non-religious household and was always allowed to make up my own mind on matters such as religion, which I consider to be one of the great feats of parenting on my Mum and Dad's behalf. This probably came about because my Mum's parents were Brethren (before they got chucked out of the church because my Grandma kept preaching, and my Grandad refused to stop her) after that quite amusing display of (kind of) feminism they went to the Baptists. My mum got jack of it at about 18 and told them she was no longer Christian. She was met with what I am sure is a standard response of 'we are devastated we will not see you in Heaven.'

Throughout my youth, I began to get a bit 'involved' in various Christian groups through friends. I generally just sat there and shut up and didn't say anything. I wanted to fly under the radar, but they all would have seen me coming as flicked through the entire bible to find a well known passage. Anyway, as I got older I started to become more confident in myself and was happy to voice my different views. Needless to say, these friendships soon fizzled as they decided I was just Heathen regardless and gave up trying to 'save' me. This experience with Christian youth generally acting a very petty and what i consider 'un-christian' manner sealed it for me.

My partner is also an ex-christian with slightly less interest in the atheist space to me. But in no way 'less atheist'. And I'm sure as the years go on, I will decently stuff up my kids by passing on my cynical and negative views...

So there is my decently uneventful journey to Atheism. I can see how my experience with religion and its people shaped my views though, it has definitely impacted why I decided to write a book that was so sacrilegious and blasphemous it would make any Christian's eyeballs fall out.
Thanks for sharing that with us. What was the denomination that you last belonged to and what made you become an atheist?
Old 31st January 2018, 10:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Thanks for sharing that with us. What was the denomination that you last belonged to and what made you become an atheist?
Just for clarification, I read that you had an unsavory experience with those Christians, but was it a book that you read that made you decide to become an atheist, or a Youtube channel?
Old 1st February 2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Just for clarification, I read that you had an unsavory experience with those Christians, but was it a book that you read that made you decide to become an atheist, or a Youtube channel?
No it wasn't a book or a Youtube channel. As I was never a Christian myself (as above, they were friends I was involved with not my own church), I became an atheist slowly as I thought about it more.
Like SEG liked this post
Old 1st February 2018, 07:36 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
No it wasn't a book or a Youtube channel. As I was never a Christian myself (as above, they were friends I was involved with not my own church), I became an atheist slowly as I thought about it more.
Thanks, for that. I haven't heard of that before, most atheists I know were inspired by the media or by friends. So you were just thinking about it for a while until for no particular reason you decided to write your book?
Old 2nd February 2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Thanks, for that. I haven't heard of that before, most atheists I know were inspired by the media or by friends. So you were just thinking about it for a while until for no particular reason you decided to write your book?
I have been an atheist for a long time, I didn't just decide to write my book for 'no particular reason'. I had an idea, so I wrote a book. It is a novel, not a non-fiction work about atheism. If I wasn't sure on my stance on athesim, the book would not have come out the was it did.
My journey to atheism was organic with no particular caralyst, it was not a sudden 'I'm athesist today, I'm going to write a book'. My thoughts on atheism definitely play a part in writing the book, but I didn't write because I'm an atheist. I wrote because I wanted to, it just so happened that the story that came out was sacrilegious, because of my own views about religion and religious stories.

Last edited by EJ_Kellett; 2nd February 2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:18 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
I wrote because I wanted to, it just so happened that the story that came out was sacrilegious, because of my own views about religion and religious stories.
It sounds intriguing to me that an atheist would consider writing something that appears sacrilegious or sinful to others. Why would you care? I guess that I will have to read at least the first chapter.
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:24 AM
Goat Of Many Colours

@SEG: Nonetheless, it happens.

Barnyard has Family Values: he values families so highly he's already collected a few.

Like EJ_Kellett, SEG, DanDare liked this post