Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 8th January 2018, 07:59 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Exclamation Predictions: (Most unreliable – best seek out a tarot reader)

Have atheists with their ‘superior’ (so we think erroneously) brainpower, the ability to predict what the future holds for the earth and humanity better than other systems of thought?

Can atheists, relying on scientific method and reasoning, work out the dire consequences humanity et al face and actually do something positive to ameliorate them?

Are we a constructive force for the survival of the human race or are we just going with the flow of human activity, no different than those claiming a god is in control?

Here is the chance to offer your predictions, your hopes, your methods, your dreams that may lead humans on a path where recent advances in scientific knowledge have the potential to expand exponentially to a future that is in the realms of Star Trek. Can this happen?

I leave it to you.

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 8th January 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Predictions: (Most unreliable – best seek out a tarot reader)

Allow me to start this off.

The worldwide debt is $200 trillion. It is nearly three times the size of the entire global economy.

Is this a good thing, a bad thing, or is it neutral?

David
Old 8th January 2018, 09:07 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
David Nicholls said View Post
Have atheists with their ‘superior’ (so we think erroneously) brainpower, the ability to predict what the future holds for the earth and humanity better than other systems of thought?

Can atheists, relying on scientific method and reasoning, work out the dire consequences humanity et al face and actually do something positive to ameliorate them?

Are we a constructive force for the survival of the human race or are we just going with the flow of human activity, no different than those claiming a god is in control?

Here is the chance to offer your predictions, your hopes, your methods, your dreams that may lead humans on a path where recent advances in scientific knowledge have the potential to expand exponentially to a future that is in the realms of Star Trek. Can this happen?

I leave it to you.

David
H...good question David.

I think our "physical IQ" [knowledge of the natural world] is increasing but our "social IQ" is improving slowly and can't keep pace. That disconnect will tend to confound every prediction IMHO. For example, a crewed mission to Mars. We have the technical expertise to do it now,[although it is still too dangerous for some, but it is doable], but lack the social maturity to do so, and many dysfunctional elements in society will distract us. First by those elements who do the disrupting, and other elements of society that try and repair the damage.

The USA went to war [Vietnam] at the same time as they sent a crewed missions to the moon. But the primary motivation was cold-war related, even if some science was squeezed while they were putting the USSR back in the box.

The internet is a problem, because of the same reason it is a boon. Information is too easy to access, and people are not being taught enough to discriminate between the good stuff and the faux stuff. That has major consequences for the future IMHO. In fact in the era of Trump and Brexit, the future has already arrived.

Interesting topic, and I will think on it some more.
Old 8th January 2018, 09:37 PM
AFA Member

I like DBs differentiation between physical and social IQ, I think it’s hard to dispute his observations there. As for future prediction I think a good knowledge of history has been traditionally useful but i’m not sure of that now. The tech revolution we are at the dawn of will change human society and humans inconceivably.

Homo deus or annhilation? That’s my prediction.
Old 8th January 2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I like DBs differentiation between physical and social IQ, I think it’s hard to dispute his observations there. As for future prediction I think a good knowledge of history has been traditionally useful but i’m not sure of that now. The tech revolution we are at the dawn of will change human society and humans inconceivably.

Homo deus or annhilation? That’s my prediction.
pipbarber, It might be more interesting, not that your comments aren't that, but if we let our inner most thoughts dictate how the future may turn out. Our fears and aspirations, hidden deep within us, could lead to a groundswell that may actually eventuate. If we remain complacent to the whims of whatever is happening, it may be the last complacency we witness. I say, let it out and see how others think about it.

David
Old 8th January 2018, 09:58 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber, It might be more interesting, not that your comments aren't that, but if we let our inner most thoughts dictate how the future may turn out. Our fears and aspirations, hidden deep within us, could lead to a groundswell that may actually eventuate. If we remain complacent to the whims of whatever is happening, it may be the last complacency we witness. I say, let it out and see how others think about it.

David
Fair enough, it’s a good thread, didn’t mean to derail.
Old 8th January 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Quote:

David
Fair enough, it’s a good thread, didn’t mean to derail.
You didn't.

David
Old 9th January 2018, 08:57 AM
AFA Member

I shouldn't be too hasty with the physical IQ bit because of what I call the "Onion Problem" or more formally, the scaling problem. For example it took over 300 years to "overthrow" Newtonian physics and replace it with the Einsteinian model. OK, Newton got a few things which were probably "wrong" [gravity], but within a certain data set or scale, Newtonian physics can [and is] used because the errors may be insignificant at that scale and the math is easier, so we just say "Meah" and get on with it. Like if you want to send a rocket to Mercury, and the best way to calculate the course is to use relativity but it is much easier to put Newton in the driving seat and make course corrections en-route for the cost of a few litres of propellant. So was Newton "wrong"?

This is seen so often in science. Like Gould and Eldredge's "Punctuated equilibrium", which is true at some scales and disappears when you change focus and look at a larger data set.

Will the real reality please stand up?

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 9th January 2018 at 08:59 AM.