Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 3rd January 2018, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Religious Freedom review

Public submissions to Philip Ruddock's review of religious freedom to be kept secret.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...02-h0cbsf.html

Quote:
Public submissions to the Turnbull government's review of religious freedom in Australia will be kept secret, in a marked departure from normal processes, according to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's department.

The department, which has control of the inquiry, said it would not publish the submissions, which is in stark contrast to ordinary parliamentary inquiries, in which most submissions are automatically released.
just. wow.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, DanDare thanked this post
Old 7th January 2018, 06:25 PM
AFA Member

I'm currently looking over the submission requirements, any brainstorming to help with a draft is greatly appreciated!
Old 7th January 2018, 06:31 PM

@ Yowie
What else do we expect from Mrs Trumble? She is beholden to the right wing hence appointing that septuagenarian fascist Ruddock. They daren't publish the submissions or we would see who is really going to write the legislation...One Nashun, The Church and the ACL...whooppedy do. Who woulda thunk it, hey?
Old 7th January 2018, 06:35 PM
Fucked Off, Working On A Story

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
I'm currently looking over the submission requirements, any brainstorming to help with a draft is greatly appreciated!
That old AFA submission on charities (Senate Enquiry, I think) - HERE may have some bearing on the fiscal side.

I'll sit down for a Hard Think about the general thingy, and may submit a note or two.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
— Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 7th January 2018, 06:42 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
I don't know what should go into a formal AFA submission. However, it would seem strategic to point out that preserving religious freedom means all religions, not just xtianity. You want religious freedom to be a christian bigot then you also protect Muslim freedom to be Islamic bigots, Rastafarian freedom to smoke enormous reefers, FLDS men to marry as many women as they damn well want to...and so on.

That and the fact that religious freedom has already resulted in one royal commission, do they long for another?
Old 7th January 2018, 06:49 PM

@PipB: Maybe not. There's private and public expression and practice, and they differ.

Brother Vern (Hi, you grumpy old turd!) can believe I'm bound for hell, and infested by a large number of demons, if he likes (in private).

The moment he starts vituperatin' up in my face or preventing me from buying a cake for my Damnation Anniversary, purely on account of my apostasy, he's vilifying me.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine

Old 7th January 2018, 07:33 PM
AFA Member

Yes but this is a review into protecting freedom of ‘practice,’ isn’t it? Which could mean anything, depending on belief.
Old 7th January 2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Yes but this is a review into protecting freedom of ‘practice,’ isn’t it? Which could mean anything, depending on belief.
Wouldn't really want anything (like confessionals or bigotry) getting free kicks where common law is concerned, would we?

Old 8th January 2018, 12:58 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Strato said View Post
They have a bloke who identifies as a Jesuit priest, Father Frank Brennan on the panel. Not sure why everybody compliantly refers to him by the anachronistic appellation 'Father.' He's supposed to be celibate. I don't give a damn if he is. Spiritual father is meaningless, quite deceptive, an oxymoron.

Do they have a self declaring atheist on the panel? If not, why not?

I'll betcha they don't.

Quote:
One member of the panel, University of Queensland constitutional law professor Nicholas Aroney has argued religious freedom is becoming "at best a second-class right" as "anti-discrimination law is increasingly prioritised".

Professor Aroney, Mr Ruddock and the other panelists including Human Rights Commissioner Rosalind Croucher, Federal Court Judge Annabelle Bennett and Jesuit priest Father Frank Brennan are due to hand down their findings in March.
I've met Frank a couple of times. He holds back, talks calmly and plays the long game.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:01 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Quote:
I don't know what should go into a formal AFA submission. However, it would seem strategic to point out that preserving religious freedom means all religions, not just xtianity. You want religious freedom to be a christian bigot then you also protect Muslim freedom to be Islamic bigots, Rastafarian freedom to smoke enormous reefers, FLDS men to marry as many women as they damn well want to...and so on.

That and the fact that religious freedom has already resulted in one royal commission, do they long for another?
And freedom from religions. That implies religions cannot be imposed. That is the core of secularism.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like Strato liked this post