Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 10th December 2017, 04:03 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: The City of Nazareth of Nowhere

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Personally I find the actual history of Christianity, for example the association with eunuchism, the nasty habit of burning women, children, and men at the stake after cutting their tongues out, and of course not forgetting the good times and deeds from time to time, far more interesting and complex than the miserable scraps that we have to fight over concerning an historical Jesus.
I see it a little differently, Wadaye. I found the title of this thread an intriguing topic after learning about Rene Salm from Spearthrower, of all people!

I found out after reading his books and his articles on his Mythicist Papers website, that the City of Nazareth had zero convincing evidence of habitation at the supposed time of Jesus. If you watched the debate between Bart Ehrman and Robert Price in October 2016, he brought up the Nazareth issue as his first rebuttal without citing any evidence! He just made assertions that a house had been found there, a farm had been found there and coins during Jesus's time had been found there. Then he stated that he had friends that were Palestinian archaeologists that have dug there and found Nazareth. That was it, over and done with. Robert Price didn't even take notes throughout the whole debate, it was a shame he wasn't debating Salm or Carrier who would have made a meal out of all that hand waving.

Here are some facts about Nazareth that are convincing that it wasn't around at the time of Jesus for me;

1. Nazareth was not mentioned in Jewish writings until the 3rd century or the Old Testament
2. Nazareth is not mentioned in any secular historical records and receives no mention by any contemporary historian.
3. Nazareth is not included among the 45 cities of Galilee that were mentioned by Josephus.
4. Nazareth is not included from the 63 towns of Galilee mentioned in the Talmud.
5. Numerous Kokhim tombs dated after 50AD have been mapped under the Holy Venerated areas of the present day Nazareth, which draw millions of Christian tourists, blissfully unaware of the graveyard lying under the fake new town that shysters built.
Old 13th December 2017, 08:25 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: The City of Nazareth of Nowhere

Quote:
Strato said
In There Was No Jesus, There Is No God, Raphael Lataster remarks that regardless of the disqualification of documents claimed as authenticating an historical Jesus, using a Bayesian methodology and textual criticism, there indeed was no Christ.
Lataster argues extremely well on that topic and it would be interesting to see if he ever gets to debate William Lane Craig or Bart Erhman.

That book was a very summary of his arguments against the existence of God and the Historical Jesus and why it matters. He is taking a fresh look at why the consensus are making failed and biased arguments. I'm glad he has gained his PhD on religious studies and is a strong debater. His other book "Jesus Did Not Exist - A Debate Among Atheist" is worth a read too and is only $7. The free sample is enough to arm atheists with very good info on its own. For those interested, check out more about him here: http://www.raphaellataster.com
Quote:
As to those who would try to defend the notion, making a case for God and the supernatural, one must ask 'why do you want to'?
Exactly. Raph worked at Sydney uni at the same Tim O'Neill did. You could imagine the sparks that flew! I had the joy of debating him without formal restrictions for about 5 weeks on another forum, but that forum now has an expensive SQL error that sadly I don't think will be fixed. Do you know of any members here that could assist with resuscitation or even how I could make contact with the admins? I'm happy to donate any fees and pay for their time.

Last edited by SEG; 13th December 2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Formatting and auto text fuckups