Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 20th October 2017, 03:37 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Default Re: GAC2018 Accommodation

Just had a job interview.

Might be in Melb by the time GAC happens.
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:24 AM
AFA Member

On a similar 'how to make the trip good', from the 2010 and 2012 events, i noticed that powerpoints are limited (as they usually are at events where people are looking for opportunities to charge phones).

But i have noticed that there's about a handful of vending machines around the place.

These vending machines have powercells in them, the kind that you buy and then plug into a phone to charge it. The one I got was around about the time that I was playing Pokemon (I don't recommend it, it's awful for your powersupply and data usage) and I was keen to keep my phone charged. The priced varied, but they worked fine.

Another tip is to snaffle a few extra biscuits for snacks. I got peckish before the final speaker and afternoon tea was a little while before.
Like Mother of Chaos liked this post
Old 23rd October 2017, 03:10 PM
There will still be cheese

Sign up for hotels' e-newsletters/offers/memberships (so long as free for the latter).

Got my accommodation for the GAC part of my trip at 33% off as the (small) chain was having a 'sale'. Actually booked it through Expedia, which honoured the price. Wasn't even looking at that property as it was outside my budget but, as I had previously stayed at a sister property, I was on the offers email blast.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:28 PM
AFA Member

Booked the same hotel as last time. Pensione Spencer st. Easy walk to the venue and reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Mother of Chaos said View Post
Booked the same hotel as last time. Pensione Spencer st. Easy walk to the venue and reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk
Agree, great location, reasonable prices (get a promo code!).

(I know many here like/love the hotel... perhaps I was particularly unlucky last time but it wasn't anywhere near my radar for this time. )

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 28th October 2017, 02:43 AM
AFA Member

Alternative snack places:

The GAC has all the food you'd pretty much need during the day, but during the nights, not everyone was able to go to /could afford the dinner / were keen to catch up with others to chat about the event and network on a non-dinner night.

And let's face it, even if you HAVE gone to the dinner, it's great to catch up with people anyway! All of the following are about thirty seconds / one minute walk from the venue:

Dock 37 Bar And Kitchen is attached to the Pan Pacific Melbourne hotel. Which also has a tiny cafe out the front, which had good breakfast. (You can check it out for yourself in a film called "Sucker", written by presenter Lawrence Leung, it's in the scene where the con artist's daughter lures a mark to a hotel room next door). Probably doesn't stay open late, but worth checking it out.

Melbourne Public is the outdoor bar that everyone was hanging out in on the Friday night after the comedy show in 2012 and it's got an open space that can fit many people. This is your best bet if you're catching up with people outside the convention proper for an after hours drink. "Large bar with cool industrial light fittings, multiple sports screens and cafe or bistro dining."

In a similar vein, The General Assembly closes at 1am on a Friday night, and is nearby.

Oh, and handy tip - if you happen to find yourself in conversation with one of the overseas speakers, one of the things they're bound to ask you about is the Polly Woodside boat outside the centre.

It's really annoying to have to say to Aron Ra / Robin Ince / Whoever Is The Author Of The Book You Just Got Signed And Told Them That You Have All Their Other Books... that you have no idea what the great big boat is all about, so here's a link so you don't make an idiot of yourself like I did.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 30th October 2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
Alternative snack places:

The GAC has all the food you'd pretty much need during the day, but during the nights, not everyone was able to go to /could afford the dinner / were keen to catch up with others to chat about the event and network on a non-dinner night.

And let's face it, even if you HAVE gone to the dinner, it's great to catch up with people anyway! All of the following are about thirty seconds / one minute walk from the venue:

Dock 37 Bar And Kitchen is attached to the Pan Pacific Melbourne hotel. Which also has a tiny cafe out the front, which had good breakfast. (You can check it out for yourself in a film called "Sucker", written by presenter Lawrence Leung, it's in the scene where the con artist's daughter lures a mark to a hotel room next door). Probably doesn't stay open late, but worth checking it out.

Melbourne Public is the outdoor bar that everyone was hanging out in on the Friday night after the comedy show in 2012 and it's got an open space that can fit many people. This is your best bet if you're catching up with people outside the convention proper for an after hours drink. "Large bar with cool industrial light fittings, multiple sports screens and cafe or bistro dining."

In a similar vein, The General Assembly closes at 1am on a Friday night, and is nearby.

Oh, and handy tip - if you happen to find yourself in conversation with one of the overseas speakers, one of the things they're bound to ask you about is the Polly Woodside boat outside the centre.

It's really annoying to have to say to Aron Ra / Robin Ince / Whoever Is The Author Of The Book You Just Got Signed And Told Them That You Have All Their Other Books... that you have no idea what the great big boat is all about, so here's a link so you don't make an idiot of yourself like I did.
"More direct" link () for Dock 37 Bar

_____