Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 14th February 2009, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Atheist Humour XXX

Free Brain Removal. I agree, we should all be able to take the piss out of each other if there are no consequences. That is what I am saying; there are consequences so we should adjust our thoughts and actions to them.

Jonathon
Old 14th February 2009, 10:49 PM

I can't escape the feeling that if I remain silent because religious people or other intolerant types will use my joke to fuel their hate, I am just being their bitch.

Should a person in China not speak out against the government because they will be prosecuted if they do? The wrong actions of unethical people should not stop us from living our lives as we see fit. If we do, then they win.

I know there are people who will take a gay joke and use it negatively. If I ever tell such jokes, be they 'against' gays or any other denomination, that will not stop me from calling out a person who responds to the joke because of their hate or intolerance.

I don't consider myself a racist at all. As some will know from previous posts I have put in a lot of personal effort to understand and appreciate other cultures and have them do the same to mine. But I cannot help but laugh at "How do you fit 3000 Jews in a convertable.... in the ashtray"

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps I'm the most immoral person to walk the Earth. But that's how I am, interpret it as you will.
Old 14th February 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Hi folks, my intentions are not to start a war or to belittle anyone on this thread.
That may not be your intention but you certainly cannot predict what happens in the future. So let me point out that this cheap excuse for sympathy is worse than pathetic.

Quote:
but I am reasonably sure
Which tells me that you are not absolutely sure. You are not confident in this matter because you do not have all the facts or even the facts in their right place. Yet you still wish to publish your amateur opinion.

Quote:
a rethink about Elbert’s words of objection are necessary.
Necessary? You need, but possibly don't want, to read about needs and wants before telling anyone what is necessary in this life.

Quote:
I think
Which is another way of saying "I'm not sure." If you were sure you would say "I know."

Quote:
that the point by Elbert has escaped some who have reacted against his comments.
Really? You can now read the minds of other people? Well I guess you did say "I think" which I can only assume is (in your case) a euphemism for "Jonathon spent a whole 5 minutes on this."

Quote:
We can take the piss out of blonds, the Irish, the Italians and other variations of the human race but there is a huge difference in the result.
Yes and that result depends on the level of maturity of the audience. You remember maturity don't you (eg - it's the ability to not "unintentionally" start a war on a thread that was meant to be a bit of fun.)

Quote:
There is no deep and lasting adversity suffered by those groups by such jokes. On the other hand, homophobia is rife in most nations and young people especially, are affected negatively by it, even to the point of being killed.
It? Homophobia? Or does "it" refer to jokes? Assuming that "it" is the latter, when a person tells a joke (which might be about a homosexual or even a homosapien) IT DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MAKE THE PERSON TELLING THE JOKE AN ENEMY OF THE SUBJECT THAT IS BEING COMMUNICATED! And those that identify others in this incorrect way (e.g. - stereotyping) are merely showing the world that they are lazy thinkers (which in this case, just in case you didn't know, is you.)

Quote:
It is not hard to imagine in the schoolyard scene that lasting impressions of worthlessness lead to dysfunctional lives and in some cases, suicide.
Yeah, and that must all be because of humour right Freud? Has anything else been killed or destroyed in your world because of some jokes? Don't bother looking more closely at the problems you state. That would probably cause you too much confusion. Just go to the extreme and blame everything on one single thing. Don't bother looking at the parents or the teachers or the conditions that surround the schoolyard. Just look for an easy target. That way life's so much easier for you.

Quote:
When same sex orientation is not ‘giggled’ about and treated as strange, then maybe the jokes can flow free. That is a long way off into the future.
Do you even understand humour? A joke depends upon two unequal sides. The blonde that is dumber than the brunette. The comedian that pokes fun at themselves and thus is perceived as less intelligent than their audience. Do I need to go on? In your case, probably, but I'm sure you've got other important posts to make so I'll leave it there for now.

Quote:
There are limits to humour with other parts of the human race and I think this is one where the limits should also apply.
Is your last name Hitler? Are you planning on becoming a dictator soon? Show me one example of where there are limits to humour. Go on. Jews in the concentration camps? Suicidal people? People who don't know the definition of the word "humour?" You?
Old 14th February 2009, 11:00 PM

Thank you Elbert.

Thank you Jonathon Byrd.

Thank you for turning this thread into an issue.

It was meant to be a bit of fun and left at that.

But you know.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot.

Anything else you want to ruin today?

Or are you done?
Old 14th February 2009, 11:01 PM

Jonothan, in my experience as a woman in a male dominated work place, if I didn't have a sense of humour life would have been quite intolerable. But it is my opinion that the more you say 'hands off' the more people want to touch. My suggestion is to play the game long enough to change people's opinion of you by not living up to the stereotype.

Besides the homosexual community can not act so shocked about stereotypes when they flaunt around in pink g-strings on a mardi-gras float. I mean I love it as a spectacle and I see it as 'stuff what people think of us we'll do as we please' which is great. But homosexuals have to also accept part of the responsibilty for how they are perceived by the general public. I don't blame men for certain views on women while there are silly bimbos out there giggling as they rub their boobs over a hot rod. All the rest of the women can do is demonstrate their true contribution to society and rely on the fact that men with common sense, work that out.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:02 PM

I like to have tantrums when i don't hear what I want, too.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:03 PM

Free Brain Removal. I wonder how often you have told the ash tray joke to a holocaust survivor.

Etheist. You obviously do not understand the concept of unequal sides when one side is powerless.

Jonathon
Old 14th February 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etheist View Post
Anything else you want to ruin today?
It's not ruined. It's just two different opinions. I liked the joke
Old 14th February 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Byrd View Post
Free Brain Removal. I wonder how often you have told the ash tray joke to a holocaust survivor.
Oh I haven't, ever. But my point was more that I consider myself to be a fair and unjudgemental person, yet I still find that funny.

What does a pregnant girlfriend and a slinky spring have in common?

They both need a push down the stairs.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:10 PM

Define powerless.