Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 24th August 2017, 04:13 PM
Proceed at own risk

Default Re: Hello

Welcome mi'lady.
Like LadyGreen liked this post
Old 24th August 2017, 06:19 PM
AFA Member

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Old 24th August 2017, 07:55 PM
Cuss-tard

G'day!

As Mr B said, we are only unkind to bad ideas.

The culture of the place can take a little getting used to, and even be a little daunting. I tell you this not to intimidate, but so that you are both forewarned and forearmed.

In times past, it has been described thusly: ideas are disposable entities, and bad ideas exist to be destroyed. Many of us are distinctly intellectually combative and inclined to dissect ideas thoroughly and without mercy. There is nothing personal in this.

The main reason, though not the only one, for such thoroughgoing conceptual mercilessness can be described thusly, as cribbed from Matt Dillahunty: we wish to believe as many true things and as few untrue things as possible. For a given value of "believe".

All of us, at one time or another, are inclined to say things that are worth challenge. We're all just monkeys in shoes, after all. Having one's ideas challenged helps one to grow, or at least that's how I see it.

Now, if you're not used to having your ideas robustly contended with, it can be intimidating. I would like to once more emphasise that challenges to your ideas or statements are not challenges to you, and personal attacks are strictly verboten.

I apologise for the potentially ominous nature of this welcome - and the welcome is genuine - but I'm trying something new. I'm not normally the nice one.

If you have any difficulties, ask questions. Our moderation staff are grossly underworked and overpaid, or something like that, but they are always happy to help. And you don't get to be a moderator around here if you aren't genuinely decent and even-handed, which explains why I've never been offered the role.

So, welcome aboard. You've just inspired me to work on a boiler-plate of this post, which will no doubt be vastly more coherent and hilarious, because that's how fucking arrogant I am.

@Goldenmane3

Like workmx, loubert liked this post
Old 24th August 2017, 07:59 PM
lizaroux
This message has been deleted by wolty.
Old 24th August 2017, 08:49 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Welcome, LadyGreen!
Old 24th August 2017, 10:15 PM

I'm cool with being challenged about my ideas, but yeah your welcome is kinda ominous. I'm here because I'm an atheist and you guys seem to be accepting so i thought it would be a good place to interact with people who i can tell i'm a transgender women but they wont lose their shit, I'm new to this and i thought it would be good for me to get myself out there in place that's easy going.
Thank Strato, workmx thanked this post
Old 24th August 2017, 10:22 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post
I'm cool with being challenged about my ideas, but yeah your welcome is kinda ominous. I'm here because I'm an atheist and you guys seem to be accepting so i thought it would be a good place to interact with people who i can tell i'm a transgender women but they wont lose their shit, I'm new to this and i thought it would be good for me to get myself out there in place that's easy going.

Hi. Nice to meet you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th August 2017, 10:22 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post
Again, welcome. We are entirely accepting of trans folk, and you'll find us fairly fucking fierce in fighting any bullshit opposed to LGBTQI+ acceptance.

You're amongst friends here, and should you have any difficulties, please feel safe and free to contact a moderator to help you out.

I can say for certain that this is a safe space for people. Some of us come from backgrounds that wouldn't have been welcoming to you, but we've grown and learned, and you are welcome here.

It's a fucking rule.

@Goldenmane3

Thank LadyGreen thanked this post
Old 24th August 2017, 10:32 PM
Cuss-tard

I will add: The notion that LGBTQI+ folk are anything other than folk is one of those bad ideas that exist to be destroyed. Repeatedly as it unfortunately turns out. But we'll teach the youngens how to think as opposed to what to think, and they'll be less of arseholes than our conteporaries, and so forth.

@Goldenmane3

Old 24th August 2017, 11:03 PM
What Me Deluded?

Hi LadyGreen. Welcome.
Old 24th August 2017, 11:25 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post
Hi LadyGreen,

Never mind Goldenmane's manner. He's the sweary one. He has his reasons. It took me a little time to get used to. The forum has its culture, as he's said. It's an effective one when it comes to destroying bad ideas.

Rest assured that I, for one, will stand with you against any and all comers who “lose their shit” because you're a transgender woman. And I'm absolutely certain that all the good folk here, and there are very many of those, will, too.

So, where was I? Oh, yes, Goldenmane's the sweary one. More introductions: Fishy is the unfailingly nice one, except when it comes to bad ideas; Mr Black is our go-to, walking encyclopaedia, for all manner of wisdom, humanism and a-theistic rationality; Loki is our pithy pulveriser of bad ideas; pip and I sometimes watch sports, so we obviously do not belong here; workmx is a sociologist, so remember to forgive; Strato is a scholar who sings far better than I do, which is far too faint a praise; … We're a varied lot.

You'll be fine. Pull up a pew, make yourself at home.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 24th August 2017 at 11:49 PM.
Like odd liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, workmx, Stubby laughed at this post