Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Getting started

Getting started New to atheism or still in the process of removing those final theistic indoctrinations?

Old 19th July 2017, 09:20 AM

Default billyboy

Hi Everyone
I know that for something to be real, it has to satisfy one of our five critical sensors, sight, sound, touch, smell, and taste. But the human scope of senses is narrow compared to that of an animal. For a simple example, take a dog whistle, we as humans can't hear it, but does that mean it doesn't exist? no, because dogs can hear them. I once watched a cat, sitting on a lounge chair, follow something from one side of the room to the other. I couldn't see anything, but what was the cat seeing, must have been something. Is this not reason enough to at least consider that maybe there may be another existence that is just out of our scope of senses? Call it supernatural, call it whatever. I would like to hear other comments on this subject. Cheers Bill
Old 19th July 2017, 10:05 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: billyboy

Quote:
billyboy11 said View Post
Hi Everyone
I know that for something to be real, it has to satisfy one of our five critical sensors, sight, sound, touch, smell, and taste. But the human scope of senses is narrow compared to that of an animal. For a simple example, take a dog whistle, we as humans can't hear it, but does that mean it doesn't exist? no, because dogs can hear them. I once watched a cat, sitting on a lounge chair, follow something from one side of the room to the other. I couldn't see anything, but what was the cat seeing, must have been something. Is this not reason enough to at least consider that maybe there may be another existence that is just out of our scope of senses? Call it supernatural, call it whatever. I would like to hear other comments on this subject. Cheers Bill
Welcome Bill. You might want to dial over to the intros section and say hello.

Humans have got themselves in hot water about reality for thousands of years. [For example, the assumption that gods, magic, etc was real].

Even among humans, our perceptions are not equal. For example, many women have enhanced colour vision due to a fourth type of photo-receptor.-in their eyes.

So yes, we know from comparative physiology that animals can have much better senses than ours. Of course, with science and technology we can increase what we can perceive enormously.

And it seems reality [through the lens of natural phenomena] is like an onion. Telescopes make the far seem near and microscopes enlarge our view of the tiny.

By definition, if something can be sensed, then it is natural phenomena. However, senses [and the brains that process sense data] are not perfect. But even if they were flawless, we could still misinterpret what we see.

For example, an adult seeing fairies. To a scientifically literate person, that might tell them to go see a doctor, because "seeing fairies" can be a symptom of brain trauma or brain cancer.

And if a Catholic person sees a bleeding statue of Christ or Mary? That would seem to be supernatural. But the first question we might ask is that do NON-Catholics [including atheists] also see [and interpret what they see] in the same way?

If everybody, no matter what there religion or world view came to the same conclusion about the same vision, then what you would have is intersubjective truth.

To be doubly sure, you might like to make the proposition falsifiable. To look for a number of alternative explanations for the same phenomenon. Then, before you know it, you are actually doing science.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:05 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
billyboy11 said View Post
Hi Everyone
Welcome Bill. You might want to dial over to the intros section and say hello.

Humans have got themselves in hot water about reality for thousands of years. [For example, the assumption that gods, magic, etc was real].

Even among humans, our perceptions are not equal. For example, many women have enhanced colour vision due to a fourth type of photo-receptor.-in their eyes.

So yes, we know from comparative physiology that animals can have much better senses than ours. Of course, with science and technology we can increase what we can perceive enormously.

And it seems reality [through the lens of natural phenomena] is like an onion. Telescopes make the far seem near and microscopes enlarge our view of the tiny.

By definition, if something can be sensed, then it is natural phenomena. However, senses [and the brains that process sense data] are not perfect. But even if they were flawless, we could still misinterpret what we see.

For example, an adult seeing fairies. To a scientifically literate person, that might tell them to go see a doctor, because "seeing fairies" can be a symptom of brain trauma or brain cancer.

And if a Catholic person sees a "bleeding statue" of Christ or Mary? That would seem to be supernatural. But the first question we might ask is that do NON-Catholics [including atheists] also see [and interpret what they see] in the same way?

If everybody, no matter what there religion or world view came to the same conclusion about the same vision, then what you would have is intersubjective truth.

To be doubly sure, you might like to make the proposition falsifiable. To look for a number of alternative explanations for the same phenomenon. Then, before you know it, you are actually doing science.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:42 AM
AFA Member

Well knock me down with a zephyr, upon reading your OP I thought well this guy is a theist for sure.
We have developed a whole range of sophisticated tools to help observe things that we are unable to detect with our limited senses.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:52 AM
I Walk With Dog

G'day, Billyboy.

Like some of my wise colleagues have said above, it's still natural, even if we need "super" means to detect it.

I don't think you'll find there's really anything that isn't part of this natural, physical world.

I hope you enjoy discussing stuff here.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Old 19th July 2017, 10:57 AM
AFA Member

Hi Billy, welcome to the forum.

A cat intently following the movement of something you can't see is interesting stuff. I have no explanation for it, i'm not an expert in cat consciousness or cat neurology. However, raising the possibility that something supernatural is taking place is jumping the gun a tad, dont you think? What are some other possible explanations? There's a bit of 'god of the gap' at play here i think.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 19th July 2017, 11:07 AM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Pretty sure my cats see stuff that I can't because they have better sensory perception than I do, especially anything to do with the order Rodentia. Doesn't mean I should consider the possibility of the supernatural as there is a logical explanation (Occam's Razor and all that).
Besides, you are selling human senses short: cats have excellent eyesight, but not at close range. They also only have 470 taste buds as opposed to our over 9000, which probably explains why we don't lick our own butts.

Sent from my iPhone using magic technology thingy application thingy.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:49 AM
Omu'sata

Gudday billyboy.

I see better in the dark than I do in daylight. Is it because I have maxed out my dwarven infravision or is it because I am seriously colourblind (nod to your post, DB) and see grey scale better than most? It may be either, but I think it's highly unlikely that it is a racial trait from mythology. It may not even be because of my colourblindness (that's only my personal rationalisation of it - I've never sought an opinion from an ophthalmologist).

IMO, "supernatural" is either a highly entertaining TV show or just something that we as a species haven't figured out yet.
Old 19th July 2017, 04:32 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Nah Stubby, I reckon you're a cat.

Sent from my iPhone using magic technology thingy application thingy.
Old 19th July 2017, 05:08 PM
AFA Member

Gday billyboy, and welcome.

While it is true we our senses are limited and fallible our ability to use technology to expand our ability to observe more of the universe is increasing rapidly, as others have pointed out. You are correct that there are definitely things we have not observed and cannot detect yet, but why call these 'supernatural' with all the baggage that entails. It is ok to accept that we are ignorant of many things, but to use this as an excuse to believe in anything you can imagine is illogical.

The time to start believing something is when there is evidence to confirm its existence, and when that happens it is no longer 'supernatural' rather it becomes part of our understanding of the universe.