Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 24th June 2017, 11:09 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: It's back! Global Atheist Convention 2018

Quote:
Mickcee said View Post
But hey if i am cherry picking her jokes about killing men and intimidation of children on social media unfairly perhaps you could show me the proper context ?
As someone I noticed on Facebook said, it took him all of 30 seconds on google to find the actual context of the quotes. Which put his mind to rest.

Hmmmmmm.

Some people actually do want to know about things. Others, not so much.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Thank two dogs, The Irreverent Mr Black, Mjt thanked this post
Old 24th June 2017, 11:41 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: Feminist Speakers at the 2018 GAC

It's all too bizarre for me, this anti-feminist la-la land.

For as long as I can remember, the kickass women who were cool and creative and fun and irreverent and ALIVE were all atheists, and fucking hell, they were all feminists too. Then after uni, some of my best times were sharing a house a with a lesbian couple and their border collie and another man in Canberra - 50-50 gender balance made for a good share house. The women were pals with a semi-famous tattoo artist (Artist, really) called X whose major work was doing a body suit on a gay client/collaborator (he was male). There was a lesbian/women's bar called Tilley's, it was a great place, welcoming to all. No-one hated men for fuck's sake, for all those years it never even entered my mind that ANY of them hated men. There was no religion either. Of course not.

The traditional women I'd meet, the women who just couldn't wait to get themselves married and pump out the babies for their man, THEY were the Christians. We didn't have to avoid them. They were scared of us! The 80s were great!

But you know, if by chance some staunchly heterosexual woman who really didn't like feminism had come along, or even some right-wing young liberal type man, and launched into a righteous atheistic tirade, I would have said great, let's put aside our differences and talk atheism.

Because really, atheism IS just a lack of belief in god. It doesn't mean you have to be some sort of anti-feminist crusader too, which seems to be the implication of this bizarre narrative.

With 1 Timothy ("I do not permit a woman to or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.") and 1 Corinthians ("Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says."), it sounds like Christianity has a pretty strong anti-feminist foundation. So why wouldn't feminism create some kick-arse atheists, and atheism create some kick-arse feminists?!?

Thinking back on all these experiences of my entire adult life, I can only say that associating with feminists has been usually very very normal, and on many occasions abso-fucking-lutely inspiring
Thank two dogs, The Irreverent Mr Black, Mjt thanked this post
Old 25th June 2017, 10:58 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
Mickcee said View Post
... you have fucked the global atheist convention.
to do that the AFA would have had to resurrect John Holmes. now don't tell me you believe in resurrection?
Old 25th June 2017, 11:06 AM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
Quote:
Mickcee said View Post
... you have fucked the global atheist convention.
to do that the AFA would have had to resurrect John Holmes. now don't tell me you believe in resurrection?
Even more of a miracle, they'd then need to resurrect Holmes's, er, main feature, which had preceded Johnny in dying by a few years. Thingies, it seems, don't go better with coke.

(I swear it's on topic. Sausage-fests, useless appendage, and all...)

Truth will be spoken to Power.
Power will respond by narrowing its eyes,
and making a mouth like a cat's anus.

Like Annie, odd, Mjt liked this post
Thank Annie, Mjt thanked this post
Old 25th June 2017, 11:23 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

As I have access to some of the AFA FB data, check this out.

Can you guess where the Clementine Ford announcement happened and then the actual result of that announcement?

Seems the result is that people (read women, yes they really are people) felt more included. Imagine trying to include more than half the population?
Attached Images
File Type: png AFAFB.png (7.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png eizgUjy.png (28.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png PHUHzUE.png (9.2 KB, 46 views)

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Annie, Mjt thanked this post
Laugh at Annie laughed at this post
Old 25th June 2017, 11:45 AM
AFA Member

I just don't understand people. Atheism is surely the rejection of myth and the acceptance of reality. If reality is a lack of god, then it makes nonsense of religious sayings like "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" Yet we still have hoards of atheist men "witch-burning".

I can understand [but not condone] why someone deluded into thinking that the Great Chain Of Being is a "real thing" that he should treat a horse better than a female. But AFTER one realised the GCOB is crap. AFTER??? What the fuck?

Atheism compels one to do a complete re-think of one's universe.

It is not as if religion is a comfortable horse to ride on. But once you realise the bibble or koran are just crap you are released from the necessity of apologetics.

Religion is fairy tales for adults. Released from the spell, an atheist should behave better rather than worse. Everyone has to reinvent themselves post-religion, because post religion is meant to be a period of adulthood. The buck stops with the individual. One can no longer praise god or blame the devil for one's behaviour.

Atheism is a process that does not with mere lack of belief, but positive steps towards the adult condition. Having a penis does not absolve men from that responsibility.
Thank Annie, Voltairine thanked this post
Old 25th June 2017, 11:56 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Just as an explanatory on the images.

Seems Facebook runs their diagnostics with a cutoff of 5pm Eastern time Aus.

The first image is net likes for one month.

The black line in the second image, net likes fell maybe 18 after the announcement between 8am and 5pm. Then jumped the next 24 hour period around 50 net new likes.

The last image is weekly based. The FB page averages around 50-70 new net likes a week. So the 224 is a rise of 331% over the previous week.

Also the announcement was shared into a couple of MRA/Anti-feminist groups and pages. So the trolls (including theist trolls) came out in force. Hundreds of them. The vast majority hadn't actually liked the page. We were banning them as quick as we could but funnily enough, the page likes just kept going up.

Read into that what you will.

Last edited by wolty; 25th June 2017 at 12:17 PM.
Like Annie liked this post
Old 25th June 2017, 12:13 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Anecdotal experience - I would wager that men who have been through bitter divorce and child custody battles make up a good percentage of the MRA community. They confuse and conflate the problems, perceived and very real, with the legal system with feminist activism.

As I said - anecdotal, but the MRA's I know fall into this category.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess

Last edited by odd; 25th June 2017 at 01:08 PM.
Like wolty, The Irreverent Mr Black, Annie, Mjt liked this post
Old 25th June 2017, 12:56 PM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

Quote:
odd said View Post
Anecdotal experience - I would wager that men who have been through bitter divorce and child custody battles make up a good percentage of the MRA community. They confuse and conflate the problems, perceived and very real, with the legal system with feminist activism.

As I said - anecdotal, but the MRA's I know gal into this category.
I think that there is an element of people who for some reason aren't as successful as they think they should be, whether that is financial, personal or something else. Because they don't want to admit that they are at fault or just unlucky, then they want to blame someone. For some reason, they're then associating that blame with women.

It's no different to the sort of hatred that some people may show towards immigrants "They stole my job!", and of course, now when a woman is promoted ahead of them, or is given the job ahead of them, it's exactly the same cry. They don't want to admit that there may be a reason other than the person having two X Chromosomes as the reason.
Thank Annie thanked this post
Old 25th June 2017, 05:58 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Dislike Fearless, Annie disliked this post
Laugh at workmx, odd laughed at this post