Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 18th June 2017, 09:28 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default From what I can see

From what I can see, most atheist members here are simply bigoted, ignorant, biased and prejudiced about me as a person - this is largely evident in me feeling singled out when I see so many likes and thanks clicked on many members' posts but mine.

As moderators have put in recurrently, "I've made equally invaluable contributions on the forum" but this isn't clear. I don't receive praises or likes or commendations - I've probably received among the lowest levels of commendation. Therefore, it is conclusive that most atheist members would overlook my contributions and do not consider me a worthy member.

I am therefore no longer inclined to contribute to this forum anymore. Full stop.

You all suck!

Last edited by Azurisan21; 18th June 2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 18th June 2017, 09:55 AM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Default Re: From what I can see

Now, if one was to put a "like" on the OP, would one be agreeing with your self-assessment of unworthiness, Azu?

I am hesitant to act, due to the ambiguity implicit in such a matter.

For my part, if I really considered you to be of nugatory value, I would simply place you on my Ignore List in perpetuity.

Perhaps if you were to deal with more mundane matters, rather than mulling over punctilio, slights and superficial scratches to the figurative armour of your chivalrous being, you might attract more likes.

In plain language: sometimes you're hard to read, and your subjects may not be for everyone.

You might get more welcome attention dealing with common material.

It's not about you - and if this realisation is unwelcome, it's still true.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like Annie liked this post
Old 18th June 2017, 10:08 AM
Nasty

Azu. You probably don't realise you are doing it but I've noticed that some of your posts are derails and to engage with them will send the discussion off course. When people are thinking about the topic of the thread they are unlikely to interrupt their thought process to tend to a sidetrack.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Annie; 18th June 2017 at 04:02 PM.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 18th June 2017, 10:14 AM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

By the way, Azu, if you think people here are prejudiced against you, hate you, etc...

I hope you never get to see the situation, but if it should happen that you were ever attacked on this forum, with actual hate and prejudice (not the minor twinges of pain that come from not being applauded), you would see how many defenders you actually have.

Perhaps this is all a misunderstanding. What is really the matter here? Are members failing to behave as you expect? Please take into account that everyone is individual, with their own set of interests, skills and motivators.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like Annie, Lord Blackadder liked this post
Old 18th June 2017, 10:19 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
From what I can see, most atheist members here are simply bigoted, ignorant, biased and prejudiced about me as a person - this is largely evident in me feeling singled out when I see so many likes and thanks clicked on many members' posts but mine.

As moderators have put in recurrently, "I've made equally invaluable contributions on the forum" but this isn't clear. I don't receive praises or likes or commendations - I've probably received among the lowest levels of commendation. Therefore, it is conclusive that most atheist members would overlook my contributions and do not consider me a worthy member.

I am therefore no longer inclined to contribute to this forum anymore. Full stop.

You all suck!
When the idea of the 'like' button was suggested, one of the alleged downsides was that people might get fixated on the 'likes' their posts receive and this could alter the way they post - It seems that was a valid objection.

The point of this place isn't 'likes' - it is discussion. The like button was only introduced to stop threads being clogged up with posts made to recognise a contribution made by a member.

In the past I have read many great posts that I didn't respond to, for a variety or reasons, just like now I read many posts that I do not hit the like button for, for a variety of reasons.

Being rude and insulting the membership is not going to help your quest for 'likes'. You are free to come and go from the forum as you see fit, good luck, I hope you find the fawning adoration you appear to believe you deserve. When you get tired of it, we will still be here ready to have a real discussion with you.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess

Last edited by odd; 18th June 2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 18th June 2017, 05:57 PM
AFA Member

I guess you have to consider what you want from participating in a forum. Your 2000 odd posts aren't ignored- I know I read them and others too because they get responses and they often generate some interesting discussion but if that's not what you want from the forum don't participate, mate. You can tell everyone they suck if you want but I'm quite certain your posts will be respectfully read, as always, should you return.
Like wolty, Mjt liked this post
Old 19th June 2017, 11:26 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

There are lots of posts that I think are valuable, but I don't click the "like" button.

It is nice when people click the "like" button on my posts. But what I think is even better is when people reply to my posts, when they stimulate discussion. Other people are much better at that than me. I must try harder to make my posts engaging, to post things other people are interested in, not just me. But I don't feel it's anyone else's fault.

I can think of one example recently, Azurisan, when you made a post which I and others engaged with, in this thread. (about the dislike of "SJWs"). If it didn't come across nicely, I'm sorry, but it was meant to have a friendly helpful tone.
Old 19th June 2017, 11:59 AM

As stated in OP, this isn't about likes or thanks. If you can infer from my tone, it's all about engagement and discussion through replies.

Either way, I no longer have expectations on anyone engaging with me. End of story.
Old 19th June 2017, 12:20 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
As stated in OP, this isn't about likes or thanks. If you can infer from my tone, it's all about engagement and discussion through replies.

Either way, I no longer have expectations on anyone engaging with me. End of story.
\

I have started some threads here I thought would start perhaps start an interesting conversation and many have had no response. I can put it down to a combination of three things:
1. Due to time of day, few people saw it.
2. The subject matter was not as interesting to other people as it was to me, and
3. I framed the post in a way (or the subject matter was such) that it crossed an interest/motivation threshold -where the effort required to respond to a post could not be sustained by the interest in the material.*

A recent example is this post - http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...ad.php?t=29835

A clever doco I posted that had zero replies - but it did have 120 views - so I know that the stuff I liked about that movie was seen by quite a few people and that makes me feel good.

This thread, Azu, where you insult us all and claim no-one engages you and offer no positive feel good stimuli (unlike my doco post) has had 8 replies and 131 views...

This thread alone counters your claim.

*I am happy to take suggestions for the name of this phenomenon.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 19th June 2017, 12:26 PM

I was only concerned that people are ignoring me due to my past character on this forum.

Now, odd, if you say that I've insulted you all in OP, by saying 'you all suck,', then I apologise.

I'm not going to 'insult' you anymore and will refrain from doing so. You have my silence.