Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 16th June 2017, 06:59 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: A Reminder: Internet Atheists Fucking Suck

My post from the basefook:

Quote:
This is precisely why I find myself spending more and more time combating bullshit fuckery perpetrated in the guise of rational atheism.

I'm one of the most outspokenly combative atheists most people are ever likely to come across, and this racism and misogyny and rape threats and the like isn't being "combative" or "rational" or even mildly fucking intelligent.Thunderf00t and The Amazing Atheist and the like ceased producing anything of value fucking years ago.

But they are some of the loudest voices, with some of the most rabid followers, and so I find myself having to spend time fighting against profound fucking idiocy and morally repugnant shit propagated by those who seem to forget that our side is supposed to actually *be* the rational ones, as opposed to merely claiming the fucking label.

Just calling yourself rational, logical, intelligent, educated, or anything else doesn't magically fucking mean that you are any of those things, and the toxicity of the mob is precisely what we were supposed to be fighting against.

I cannot bring myself to condemn anyone who chooses to withdraw from the online atheist community in response to this rising tide of effluvium. I can only say this: to the rest of us (and you know who you are), we have to continue to fucking fight against it. We *cannot* allow our work to be tainted unchallenged.

@Goldenmane3

Thank Annie, hackenslash, Beatrice thanked this post
Old 16th June 2017, 07:30 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Some of these I've heard of second-hand through my daughter. In her younger years she followed some of these idiots. Not, one by one, she's crossing them off her list.

I find the anti-feminist, anti-SJW thing to be really galling. This is because I personally can't stand the actually loony left-wing fringe. The best example I can think of is the student gay and feminist societies who sided with Islamist ratbags and tried to get Maryam Namazie banned from their campus.

But it IS a fringe, contrary to the narrative promoted by the likes of Sargon and, umm, Donald Trump Jr that takes these excesses and defines "the left" by them.

They start by opposing "social justice warriors", and quickly end up opposing social justice.
Thank Annie thanked this post
Old 16th June 2017, 07:33 PM

The Angry Atheist is another.

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum.

Unfortunately the loudest, most abrasive and vacuous atheists tend to be seen as representative of all of us.
Thank wolty thanked this post
Old 16th June 2017, 07:41 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
Some of these I've heard of second-hand through my daughter. In her younger years she followed some of these idiots. Not, one by one, she's crossing them off her list.

I find the anti-feminist, anti-SJW thing to be really galling. This is because I personally can't stand the actually loony left-wing fringe. The best example I can think of is the student gay and feminist societies who sided with Islamist ratbags and tried to get Maryam Namazie banned from their campus.

But it IS a fringe, contrary to the narrative promoted by the likes of Sargon and, umm, Donald Trump Jr that takes these excesses and defines "the left" by them.

They start by opposing "social justice warriors", and quickly end up opposing social justice.
The regressive left.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like stylofone, Annie liked this post
Thank 142857, Annie thanked this post
Old 16th June 2017, 09:59 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

I see myself more of a humanist than atheist, although both are technically interchangeable.

I don't watch atheism on YouTube, let alone reading and engaging with atheistic communities on social media networking sites and several fora so I didn't have much clues until OP briefed so.

It didn't occur to me that racism and misogynism are quite rife these days, and identitarian tendencies are emerging amongst the atheistic leaders, except for knowing that some were, such as Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.

To atheists who are subtly racist, sexist, cis or so, voicing one's criticisms against their ignorance and arrogance is somewhat helpless if there is no other leader of ethnic and other kinds of minority to complain to and empower the minorities to take a stand and arise. I think the mentality of people and victims alike comes down to differentiated power structures that shape each person's sensibilities, in/securities and sense of privileges and rights. Sadly, in the long human history, there has been predominance amongst cis white males and still it is passed down as in mentality into younger, future generations who are radically shifting their outlook, such as from religions to atheism (although atheism predates religions anyway).

From my experiences, I seriously doubt that such sexism and racism are inborn. They are nurtured. This said, we still have hope to combat such ignorance and arrogance through education, intersubjective dialogues and democratic methods - freedom of speech is still restrained and not fully and successfully enacted and materialised yet, in Australia and the western world to prevent any more white-washing and potential sexism developing in people.

With much due respect, I already feel that elections/nominations of people should be rigorous and require parallel considerations such that there is an even number of representatives/leaders from a different part that constitutes the demographics, that is, half males and half females, and within each gender, one person from every different kind of ethnicity. This is to ensure parity and fairness in representation and leadership, no matter how relatively discrepant their capacities to do so are, upon the selective merits and criteria. Sadly, no one listens to this worthwhile idea of how to run a new kind of democracy. Sadly, the authorities who oversee the 'democratic' state are still mostly white males.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 16th June 2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 16th June 2017, 10:06 PM
Nasty

I posted this article on social media at the same time I posted it here today. These are the types of responses it has attracted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 16th June 2017, 10:10 PM

I'm really confused about SJW - Social Justice Warriors, as Stylofone and Annie mentioned.

I thought these are a faction born out of 'white guilt' according to one of my atheist friends who was critical and against their movement, but correct me please.
Old 16th June 2017, 10:12 PM
Nasty

And some more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 16th June 2017, 10:17 PM
Fucked Off, Working On A Story

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I'm really confused about SJW - Social Justice Warriors, as Stylofone and Annie mentioned.

I thought these are a faction born out of 'white guilt' according to one of my atheist friends who was critical and against their movement, but correct me please.
Rationalwiki linky for you.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine— Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like Annie liked this post
Thank Annie thanked this post
Old 16th June 2017, 10:18 PM

I forgot... I've been a member of many atheist groups on FB, where religion-bashing is a constant instead of civil dialogues. This is why I left all of them long ago. I've been ostracised at times by atheists themselves who called me a 'coward' and 'idiot' for not letting loose when a better alternative as I did was to converse in a friendly manner even with theists (yes, some atheist groups welcome theists). There was constant black humour and rude posts all the time.

This is why I find AFA forum slightly better, friendlier with safe zones for some important areas of topic.
Like Annie liked this post