Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 12th June 2017, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Discipline/lack of and atheism

I don't know anyone personally more mentally disciplined than myself. I keep my house neatly, a place for everything and everything in its place. Something not in its place is clutter that is a distraction.

However, I don't think this has much to do with my being an atheist. I think, on the contrary, that my being an atheist has to do with my discarding of things which serve no purpose in my life. Things that serve no purpose are clutter, and need to be swept aside, collected, and put in the dust bin. Belief in things without compelling reason are such clutter.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:44 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I'm not sure this has as much to do with atheism as it does personality types, Az. If you need examples of 'disciplined' people (although i'm not entirely sure of what you mean by that but i'm assuming its got something to do with achievement?) who happen to be atheist just site the atheist pop stars. Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennet, Harris, Baker, Dilahunty and so on not to mention Nietzsche, Hume, Berlin, John Grey...the list is very very long.

Ones belief or not in a god really has nothing to do with self discipline, i'd have thought. Where's the connection?
As I said, 'regardless of the definition of atheism, I need examples from you atheists as humans...'

The atheist forums are full of many topics including feminism, sexuality, mental health issues, mafia games and so on that have NOTHING to do with atheism. So why try to rebut the significance of my thread?

Anyway, for at least one thing, atheists are more self-disciplined and less selfish than theists because by having ZERO expectations of spiritual rewards for doing good things they might do, they are being independent, responsible and practical. Theists are far too selfish and undisciplined because they constantly seek spiritual and divine rewards by doing some work. So, I need to challenge and correct most theists' stereotypes by asking for examples from atheists in this thread. Got that?
My bold.

You haven't proved that either case is true, or that the reasons you have given are the motivators, Azu.

I disliked your post because its thinking seems to be very untidy,

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Like Beatrice liked this post
Dislike Azurisan21 disliked this post
Old 12th June 2017, 12:59 PM
AFA Member

First of all you I question the rationale behind the question, or at least what you are trying to prove Az. As others have pointed out, atheism is only a lack of belief in a deity/deities, therefore you can expect people who identify so to have a myriad of personality traits. Also the traits you have listed are not mutually exclusive, you may well have a tidy raging alcoholic.

People do not fit into nice little groups where their behaviour can predicted based upon how what they identify as. To me that seems like a good thing, the world would be a worse place if all Christians were homophobic bigots. We are contradictory animals, instead of trying to categorise these differences I say embrace them.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 12th June 2017, 01:02 PM
Proceed at own risk

I'm disciplined in some things, not in others. My motorhome is untidy most of the time as it has everything I own in it besides my motorbike. It doesn't bother me and creative people are naturally messy!
I'm not a sexual deviant though I wish I was sometimes. I wish I was less prudish.
Those things you mentioned Azu are stereotypes of heathen immorality. There is no need to pay them any attention or think you have to prove the opposite. Do you really care what those faithheads think? Are you insecure and think there could be some evidence of atheist vice?
Like 142857 liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 12th June 2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
...It doesn't bother me and creative people are naturally messy!...
That may be true in general, but for those of use who may be creative and "suffering" from OCD, we may be statistical outliers.

When everything is in its place, I can relax and be creative, but when there is clutter, I have to address the clutter first.
Old 12th June 2017, 01:36 PM

I've known a lot of artists, and their environments have run from practically sterile to the point of barely owning a stick of furniture to 'hoarders have better housekeeping habits'.

Picasso's wife Olga, a dancer, was notoriously tidy and liked an uncluttered home. Picasso's studio, when a friend visited, was so cluttered with objects, many of them bits and pieces of old unfinished projects, that it was hard to walk through. Olga never came into the studio, it seems. Picasso, grinning, is said to have told the friend "Dust is my ally."
Old 12th June 2017, 01:44 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
borealis said View Post
I've known a lot of artists, and their environments have run from practically sterile to the point of barely owning a stick of furniture to 'hoarders have better housekeeping habits'.

Picasso's wife Olga, a dancer, was notoriously tidy and liked an uncluttered home. Picasso's studio, when a friend visited, was so cluttered with objects, many of them bits and pieces of old unfinished projects, that it was hard to walk through. Olga never came into the studio, it seems. Picasso, grinning, is said to have told the friend "Dust is my ally."
And he owned dachshunds, so destruction was a part of his daily life.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Laugh at borealis, The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 12th June 2017, 01:47 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
borealis said View Post

English writer, Quentin Crisp: "There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse."

Experimentation has so far borne out the truth of Mr Crisp's words.

Laugh at borealis laughed at this post
Old 12th June 2017, 03:22 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Today before lunch, I was tidying up, cleaning and dusting off window sills, frames and doors. It made my day!

Now, Mr The Irreverent Black and odd, if you click dislike on this one, then I'm going to hate you two for your absurdity and antagonism ever.
Old 12th June 2017, 03:27 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Today before lunch, I was tidying up, cleaning and dusting off window sills, frames and doors. It made my day!

Now, Mr The Irreverent Black and odd, if you click dislike on this one, then I'm going to hate you two for your absurdity and antagonism ever.
It is good that you enjoyed the activity.

Hate is irrational.