Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 11th June 2017, 09:00 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Discipline/lack of and atheism

I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I would like to hear about atheists and how they do with self-discipline, self-regulation and responsibility as well as atheist parents who regulate discipline on their kids.

Regardless of the definition of atheism, I'd like to hear from you atheists as humans examples of discipline you do develop and regulate in yourselves (and if parents, on your children).

I am an atheist of moderate to at times rigorous discipline but I won't tell - I'd like to hear a substantial amount of examples from you before I may tell mine. I'm just sick of being ostracised, ridiculed and laughed at by many atheists for being 'too weird, religious and stuff' when I exhibit rigorous self-discipline and regulation and instead being told to 'loosen up' too frequently.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 11th June 2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11th June 2017, 09:18 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Discipline/lack of and atheism

I'm not sure this has as much to do with atheism as it does personality types, Az. If you need examples of 'disciplined' people (although i'm not entirely sure of what you mean by that but i'm assuming its got something to do with achievement?) who happen to be atheist just site the atheist pop stars. Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennet, Harris, Baker, Dilahunty and so on not to mention Nietzsche, Hume, Berlin, John Grey...the list is very very long.

Ones belief or not in a god really has nothing to do with self discipline, i'd have thought. Where's the connection?
Old 11th June 2017, 09:20 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I'm not sure this has as much to do with atheism as it does personality types, Az. If you need examples of 'disciplined' people (although i'm not entirely sure of what you mean by that but i'm assuming its got something to do with achievement?) who happen to be atheist just site the atheist pop stars. Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennet, Harris, Baker, Dilahunty and so on not to mention Nietzsche, Hume, Berlin, John Grey...the list is very very long.

Ones belief or not in a god really has nothing to do with self discipline, i'd have thought. Where's the connection?
As I said, 'regardless of the definition of atheism, I need examples from you atheists as humans...'

The atheist forums are full of many topics including feminism, sexuality, mental health issues, mafia games and so on that have NOTHING to do with atheism. So why try to rebut the significance of my thread?

Anyway, for at least one thing, atheists are more self-disciplined and less selfish than theists because by having ZERO expectations of spiritual rewards for doing good things they might do, they are being independent, responsible and practical. Theists are far too selfish and undisciplined because they constantly seek spiritual and divine rewards by doing some work. So, I need to challenge and correct most theists' stereotypes by asking for examples from atheists in this thread. Got that?

Last edited by Azurisan21; 11th June 2017 at 09:22 PM.
Dislike The Irreverent Mr Black disliked this post
Old 11th June 2017, 09:40 PM
AFA Member

Not really. I'm basically as non believing as anyone could possibly be but there aint a lot of self discipline going down on my tree branch. I'm a drunk, i make my own wine, i eat psilocybin like an obese granny eats cup cakes, don't work, have no money, watch movies, read for pleasure, play guitar for pleasure, walk in the bush and really i contribute very little to the world beside trying not to be a fucking dick to people. I'm about as undisciplined as a sapien can get so perhaps i'm not the example you're after.

As for fathering, i like my kids and they like me (love is a given). My 'atheist' parenting boils down to 'think for yourself but justify it reasonably,' or something along those lines, and also, 'do whatever you want but try not to be a dick.'

Yeah, i'm probably not a good example.
Like Beatrice liked this post
Old 11th June 2017, 10:20 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Laugh at pipbarber, knowledge is power laughed at this post
Old 11th June 2017, 10:30 PM
AFA Member

...have i mentioned i'm a high priest of dudism?

Sorry Az, i'm derailing your post, i'll let others comment with more sobriety.
Old 11th June 2017, 10:36 PM
I Walk With Dog

Atheist - doesn't believe in god/s.
Goddist - does.

Now, for the rest - sexuality, ethics, violence/pacifism, motivation, preference of cheese variety - there's other determinants, which may have nothing to do with the first two lines of this post.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Like WesternGeo liked this post
Dislike Azurisan21 disliked this post
Old 11th June 2017, 11:36 PM
What Me Deluded?

I walked for nearly 3 hours today. Now I should be practising harmonica phrasing but I'm loitering here instead because of endorphin gravity. I'm vainly trying to hold back the years. Apparently it's normal to be conservative at my age. I'm not like that, happily.

Some people are oriented to serve and sacrifice. Altruism. Or they have little choice because they may perhaps have a disabled dependent to care for.

Others are motivated by anticipated reward.

Is there some implicit moral valorisation in self discipline?
Old 12th June 2017, 11:02 AM

Do those appalling bigots you are referring to who stereotype a group based only on their own prejudices regularly get punched in the face by atheists? If not, that displays plenty of discipline right there.
Laugh at Beatrice, MarkFL laughed at this post
Old 12th June 2017, 11:55 AM
AFA Member

People need gods to keep themselves in check. After all, NOTHING bad happens on god's watch. That is why, in god's universe, everything is perfect. There is no need for laws, police courts or prisons, because there is no murder or stealing. People behave perfectly. There are no wars, no abuse, no violence, no scams, no dishonesty. Everybody is kind and loving. There is no cruelty in nature, for god would simply not allow it. No diseases of any kind either, or nasty parasites and pathogens. The environment is happy and healthy, with no extinctions, pollution or natural disasters. No human induced global warming either, because we can't be bad with god around, watching over us, and smacking us when we are naughty, which is never.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 12th June 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post