Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 1st June 2017, 11:20 PM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Default Re: NDE / Near Death Experience -- Rant

The tech's improving all the time, GB. I'd love you to be in the book for beating that record by a healthy (see what I did there?) margin.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
— Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:20 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

Jibbers GB. I would have thought you would have already been on a list, but I have zilch medical background so I have nfi what is required to be on one.

Good to hear you're still with us.

Old 2nd June 2017, 09:02 PM
Proceed at own risk

Quote:
GenericBox said View Post

"This hospital holds the Guinness World Record for the longest surviving heart transplant patient, at 28 years".
I think they may mean the transplant lasted 28 years, surely? Otherwise no one over this age survived the year past the transplant procedure.
Old 3rd June 2017, 05:17 AM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

Yes I couldn't remember if exact wording to recite it verbatim lol �� But point being I'm in my 20s so that world record might be comforting to literally everyone else there who are seemingly in the 60s/70s but 28 years is still 40 years too little for my liking

But as TIMB said technology is improving so who knows, and they don't think I need to be on the list yet so it's a moot point.

I forgot to answer the question re: GAC. I would love to be there but heading home to Australia isn't really on my agenda at the moment so it would be too far to travel for it alone. Look forward to following it online though
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:26 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
I have no time for anyone who claims supernatural NDE stories. I think it's the utmost ARROGANCE, to think that what your brain goes through in that state IS REAL just because YOU thought it. It's just the most blatant proof of cultural indoctrination to immediately attribute such feelings to some sort of supernatural influence.
How can you say it is utmost arrogance amongst those people who experienced heaven and light of the God when they experienced it as real? You can't disprove what others' experiences are nor can you counter argue that theirs is real or not according to their own judgement. It's very personal.
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:41 AM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Quote:
I have no time for anyone who claims supernatural NDE stories. I think it's the utmost ARROGANCE, to think that what your brain goes through in that state IS REAL just because YOU thought it. It's just the most blatant proof of cultural indoctrination to immediately attribute such feelings to some sort of supernatural influence.
How can you say it is utmost arrogance amongst those people who experienced heaven and light of the God when they experienced it as real? You can't disprove what others' experiences are nor can you counter argue that theirs is real or not according to their own judgement. It's very personal.
The thing is not to disprove their experience but to explain it.

So far supernatural mumbo jumbo is losing out on the credible explanation stakes.

Old 3rd June 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Loki said View Post
The thing is not to disprove their experience but to explain it.

So far supernatural mumbo jumbo is losing out on the credible explanation stakes.
Yes, but some experiences can be so complicated and difficult to explain in scientific terms... still science has a long way to do so but it's never too late so as long as circumstances, resources and one scientist's willingness can afford.

I can only say that some people's claimed experiences with the Divine may be real, while others may fake it.
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:50 AM

Who knew experiences could be so complicated?

Old 3rd June 2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Loki said View Post
I don't know. I'm just speculating and what I'm speculating is a valid question.

When I said complicated, I mean too extraordinary or mechanically or physically IMPLAUSIBLE that it can stand as odd with science and physics.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 3rd June 2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 3rd June 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Quote:
Loki said View Post
I don't know. I'm just speculating and what I'm speculating is a valid question.

When I said complicated, I mean too extraordinary or mechanically or physically IMPLAUSIBLE that it can stand as odd with science and physics.
Psst...it's a meme.