Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 8th May 2017, 06:20 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Meaninglessness

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
If the decent people stop doing nice things and helping others, the world will become much, much nastier than you see today. That's the kind of meaningless world I would not want to live in.
I think that humans are moderately good naturally. I think it is cultural, religious, political and economic structures that tend to bring out the worst in us.

I remember some study done of kids in Israel or Palestine or somewhere. I think I posted in the science section. Israel I think. Kids were given information about people being cruel to others. Some were informed who those people were [foreigners, enemies] and some were not told. Those primed to believe that an enemy was being hurt or abused stimulated less sympathy in the kids that those who were deemed friendly or "one of them".

Seems to me if kids were primed with the whole human race as being of the one tribe, and the if definition of human being was made as broad as possible, racism, sexism, and other bigotries would die out, or at least be much less severe. Of course, religions and ideological warriors, etc will never let that happen.
Old 8th May 2017, 08:32 PM

What does it mean for something to be meaningless?
Old 9th May 2017, 10:27 PM
What Me Deluded?

Az if you feel you have 'outgrown the world' and are bored, this time may I recommend, and since you didn't like Homo Deus, Daniel C. Dennett's latest offering From Bacteria to Bach and Back 2017?

Dennett is a neo-Darwinian philosopher and professor of Cognitive Studies. The book covers the origin of life, the evolution of the human brain and its affordances, memes and language, apps, as it were to manifest the mind and cultural evolution.

At the end Dennett discusses the future of humanity with AI (Artificial Intelligence) and how it operates compared with human comprehension.

Of course Dennett hadn't had opportunity to read Harari's Homo Deus, nor Harari Dennett when they published AFAIK. For me Dennett is the most informed thinker I have had occasion to read. I have 5 of his books now. Dennett started me seeking out the best non fiction with Darwin's Dangerous Idea. Getting the latest understandings written so masterfully is one indispensable thing that makes my life meaningful.

I have nearly finished From Bacteria to Bach and Back and had already decided I must reread it. It deserves it. I owe it to myself.

Being bored is an attitude. It is really quite contemptible. You go to the bother of finding worthy material to read and respectfully give all your attention to it. Or other people, or whatever reality affords you.

https://www.bookdepository.com/searc...arch=Find+book

Last edited by Strato; 9th May 2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: linky
Like Mjt, Voltairine liked this post
Old 10th May 2017, 09:22 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Thanks everyone for kind responses.

I'm getting better and correcting my attitude.

I hope that I'd start enjoying things around. I'm currently designing some personal architecture that I'd publish on my website, besides doing university assignments.

I didn't mean to dislike Homo Deus, since I already find it interesting but Strato, thanks for another reference.

I hope that all is well.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post