Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 8th May 2017, 03:15 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Meaninglessness

I suppose that the more intelligent you are, the less life is meaningful.

A very intelligent person realises that there is no universal truth. God doesn't exist, everyone's viewpoint, emotions and values are individualistic and no one can achieve justice to humanitarian adversities worldwide merely by donating money to the charities or doing someone 'kindness' as same justice may not be received in the same way as intended.

A very intelligent person may also seek interesting, imaginatively appealing and enchanting things that may no longer exist in their lifetime. One may also realise that the world is physical - mind is part of the physical world as it is just a brain part of human body, such that life is nothing other than motion.

I already found life totally meaningless when I turned 16.
Old 8th May 2017, 03:50 PM
Oo-er, Cobber!

Default Re: Meaninglessness

Azu, I have learned a lot from my dog.

She just exists, gives her love where she thinks it would be good to do so, and has fun.

Dog has her own moral code (reinforced by the Don't stuff she has learned from her owners) and enough good sense to get in the bath on her own when her paws are dirty (not to mention pulling out the plug when I finished washing her yesterday).

Her life is not greatly trammelled by thoughts of purpose or consequence, and yet she makes a great deal of good in her world, having improved my own health greatly by insisting on a long walk every day.

Perhaps it's a cloud of small, undetectable micro-meanings?

Truth will be spoken to Power.
Power will respond by narrowing its eyes,
and making a mouth like a cat's anus.

Like pipbarber, knowledge is power liked this post
Thank Darwinsbulldog, Strato thanked this post
Old 8th May 2017, 04:12 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I suppose that the more intelligent you are, the less life is meaningful.

A very intelligent person realises that there is no universal truth. God doesn't exist, everyone's viewpoint, emotions and values are individualistic and no one can achieve justice to humanitarian adversities worldwide merely by donating money to the charities or doing someone 'kindness' as same justice may not be received in the same way as intended.

A very intelligent person may also seek interesting, imaginatively appealing and enchanting things that may no longer exist in their lifetime. One may also realise that the world is physical - mind is part of the physical world as it is just a brain part of human body, such that life is nothing other than motion.

I already found life totally meaningless when I turned 16.
I don't agree. The more brains and imagination, the more easily we can find our own meaning and purpose in life. Especially when not hamstrung by religious bullshit causing us to imagine purpose comes from a deity.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 8th May 2017, 04:55 PM
Omu'sata

I posted my views on this issue the other day, in the other thread about nihilism, meaninglessness and other bullshit.

Linky to my other comment.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I don't agree. The more brains and imagination, the more easily we can find our own meaning and purpose in life. Especially when not hamstrung by religious bullshit causing us to imagine purpose comes from a deity.
What you say certainly challenges my thinking.

Would it be possible that concerning the same object/subject matter however how simplistic or complex it is, would a more intelligent person find it more interesting than a less intelligent person would find it? Would a more intelligent person find the same thing less superficial and less boring than a less intelligent person would?
Old 8th May 2017, 05:04 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Azu, I have learned a lot from my dog.

She just exists, gives her love where she thinks it would be good to do so, and has fun.

Dog has her own moral code (reinforced by the Don't stuff she has learned from her owners) and enough good sense to get in the bath on her own when her paws are dirty (not to mention pulling out the plug when I finished washing her yesterday).

Her life is not greatly trammelled by thoughts of purpose or consequence, and yet she makes a great deal of good in her world, having improved my own health greatly by insisting on a long walk every day.

Perhaps it's a cloud of small, undetectable micro-meanings?
A great point, Mr B. "Just" existing can be rewarding/interesting, especially if joys outweigh the sorrows/pain.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
What you say certainly challenges my thinking.

Would it be possible that concerning the same object/subject matter however how simplistic or complex it is, would a more intelligent person find it more interesting than a less intelligent person would find it? Would a more intelligent person find the same thing less superficial and less boring than a less intelligent person would?
I think perhaps you are overly generalising the role of intelligence a tad. Once a person comes to the conclusion that life is devoid of intrinsic meaning, we make our own, anything can follow. For some highly intelligent people, that may be last time they think about it for decades - they just get on with it. For others it may become a life long philosophical contemplation. The same would apply across the IQ spectrum i'd wager.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I think perhaps you are overly generalising the role of intelligence a tad. Once a person comes to the conclusion that life is devoid of intrinsic meaning, we make our own, anything can follow. For some highly intelligent people, that may be last time they think about it for decades - they just get on with it. For others it may become a life long philosophical contemplation. The same would apply across the IQ spectrum i'd wager.
Well, that's discouraging and disappointing. I was hoping is an authentic reassurance and verification that the more intelligent person one is, the more meaningful, complex, intriguing, interesting and so on the same subject matter, object or lifestyle is than a less intelligent counterpart would find.

I was hoping to get this hypothesis come true, to no avail as I'm still questioning why I find life personally so boring as I might have 'intellectually outgrown' it all. I was hoping that the above hypothesis would hold true so that I could correct my thinking and revise my conclusions and start revisiting the same 'mundane, repetitive, menial and boring stuff' and learn to treat and enjoy it as a more intelligent person would - in turn I could develop and improve my intelligence to enjoy the once boring things better and more meaningfully.

Now I'm sad!
Old 8th May 2017, 05:27 PM
Proceed at own risk

Quote:
no one can achieve justice to humanitarian adversities worldwide merely by donating money to the charities or doing someone 'kindness' as same justice may not be received in the same way as intended.
If the decent people stop doing nice things and helping others, the world will become much, much nastier than you see today. That's the kind of meaningless world I would not want to live in.
Like Strato liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 8th May 2017, 06:16 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Well, that's discouraging and disappointing. I was hoping is an authentic reassurance and verification that the more intelligent person one is, the more meaningful, complex, intriguing, interesting and so on the same subject matter, object or lifestyle is than a less intelligent counterpart would find.

I was hoping to get this hypothesis come true, to no avail as I'm still questioning why I find life personally so boring as I might have 'intellectually outgrown' it all. I was hoping that the above hypothesis would hold true so that I could correct my thinking and revise my conclusions and start revisiting the same 'mundane, repetitive, menial and boring stuff' and learn to treat and enjoy it as a more intelligent person would - in turn I could develop and improve my intelligence to enjoy the once boring things better and more meaningfully.

Now I'm sad!
Sorry Az, didnt mean to post a downer!

Anyway, maybe your hypothesis holds true for you and isnt that all that matters?