Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 3rd May 2017, 10:22 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Was Jesus 98.8% Chimp?

Indeed, and things are even more complicated than that. Epigenetic inheritance is also important, because you may have the coding genes [for proteins etc], and the regulatory genes which determine where, when and by how much a gene or genes are expressed [or not], but you also have the influence of symbiots [both commensal and parasitic], and a pinch of randomness. [For flavour].

I forgot to add that parthenogenesis capability depends on whether the species has genetic or environmental [often, but not exclusively temperature] sex determination. One other thing is DUX family transcription factors, which are required to kick of the replication process and get the zygote dividing. Of course reptiles must have an equivalent system, but they do not depend on DUX.

There is a third impediment parthenogenesis in mammals, but I have forgotten it. It can't be SRY protein, because that just calls SOX9, which starts the sex determination cascade. But some mammals do not have SRY, so some other transcription factor[s] are involved. I will have to look those up.

But even some parthenogenesis lizard species, although they do not need a male genetic contribution, they do require mating with a male [usually a closely related species], for development of the zygote, so the trigger must be in the seminal fluid, rather than in the sperm itself.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 3rd May 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Thank SEG thanked this post
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:10 PM
Omu'sata

I don't have anything substantive to add to the thread, other than to indicate my sincere appreciation for Black's coinage of the term "stealth-rooter" to describe god.

Take a bow, Ser Black.
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
I don't have anything substantive to add to the thread, other than to indicate my sincere appreciation for Black's coinage of the term "stealth-rooter" to describe god.

Take a bow, Ser Black.
Yeah...Yahweh would have to take a back seat to Zeus...he was always coming down and diddling the mortals.
Old 3rd May 2017, 03:05 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
Stubby said View Post

Take a bow, Ser Black.
Please withhold my bow: I was referring to the very human male who gave Mary a sly poke, and then zoomed out of the narrative.

That virginity meme is now so well-embedded that the cafflicks encyclopedia supposes the brothers and sisters of Jeebus to be older kids from Joseph's first marriage or perhaps mislabelled cousins.

The notion of Mary enfolding a stiff dose of mortal flesh? Unthinkable.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Like SEG, Stubby liked this post
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:48 PM
Omu'sata

Even better.
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:54 PM
AFA Member

I also have nothing of weight to add to this thread but it's just occurred to me that Joe and Mary mustn't have had a very happy marriage if they couldnt fuck. I mean...well, you know, they both must have wanted to. Or were they allowed to fuck but god performed some kind of immaculate contraception each time? That'd be awkward for the vatican, right?

Sorry, i shouldnt comment on theology, i'm way out of my depth.
Old 3rd May 2017, 06:06 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I also have nothing of weight to add to this thread but it's just occurred to me that Joe and Mary mustn't have had a very happy marriage if they couldnt fuck. I mean...well, you know, they both must have wanted to. Or were they allowed to fuck but god performed some kind of immaculate contraception each time? That'd be awkward for the vatican, right?

Sorry, i shouldnt comment on theology, i'm way out of my depth.
Well, Pip, as one who trained in the art of Telling Nice Lies, let me expound...

There's a form of text interpretation called eisegesis, which is like those Wild West trials where they set up for the hangin' before the Court convenes.

Now, if you start with "No Dick For Mary", you need to work between the lines (because there's all that annoying stuff about brothers and sisters) and make sure Mary gets NO DICK.

Ask a few questions, with a Jesuit cunning, and you can say that earlier kids of Joe's (he must be a widower, and Jeebus is part of the 4 BCE Brady Bunch {whose TV house had no toilet, despite Daddy Brady being an architect, because "community standards" - see the similarity?} are legally "siblings", so...

TLDR: Decide what you want out of your gods, and your holy books can be made to back you up.

LATE ADD: Even if Mary and Joe (or anybody else, for that matter) fucked like fortified ferrets, right in front of them, the compilers of the cafflick encyclopedia would not acknowledge it having happened.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 3rd May 2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add
Old 3rd May 2017, 06:23 PM
AFA Member

That's all too deep and complex for my addled brain but what i'd say is that i'm so very pleased that i dont have to drag and heave and connect tiny threads from a hideously boring nineteen hundred year old book in order to create the brady bunch. That must be some damn hard lifting. I almost admire the efforts of those theologians, but then i think to myself, why the fuck bother?

I shouldnt be too critical. I've spent hours discussing the magical nuances of Harry Potty and their impact on the overall narrative. It's just fun, that's why they must do it!

Anyway, i feel sad for Mary now. Does that mean i'm catholic?
Old 3rd May 2017, 06:38 PM
I Walk With Dog

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
That's all too deep and complex for my addled brain but what i'd say is that i'm so very pleased that i dont have to drag and heave and connect tiny threads from a hideously boring nineteen hundred year old book in order to create the brady bunch. That must be some damn hard lifting. I almost admire the efforts of those theologians, but then i think to myself, why the fuck bother?
Because Virgin Mother Cult Add-on (with Retinue of Saints option) makes CafflickCo™ look unique and specialler than just one god or a trinity (which is equally non-biblical, BTW).

And nothing says important like numbers, eh?

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I shouldnt be too critical. I've spent hours discussing the magical nuances of Harry Potty and their impact on the overall narrative. It's just fun, that's why they must do it!
Fun AND profit, plus (in some cases) all the kids you can eat.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Anyway, i feel sad for Mary now. Does that mean i'm catholic?
Dunno. Are you harbouring a stiffy for Mary? (or, for clergy candidates, do you have ambivalent feelings about the holy infant?)

Old 3rd May 2017, 06:47 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Are you harbouring a stiffy for Mary? (or, for clergy candidates, do you have ambivalent feelings about the holy infant?)
Well, i'm not sexually attracted to infants, thank god but the whole Mary saga is kind of alluring in its way.

Nah...actually, now that i think about it, and i've not really thought about it before, nah...thats some crazy fucked up shit i'd be better off not getting entangled in.

Cool, so not catholic.