Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 5th May 2017, 03:46 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: Atheism and Nihilism

Quote:
akizur said View Post
I did not start as an Atheist, i became an Atheist though meditation. And how?
It seems that most of you do not have any meditation experience. So i will give you a hint. Sit down and go behind the thoughts. That means let them pass, don't get identified with them. Finally you find out that no thought is yours. As you go deeper you find out that all you carry in your head is just stuff we acquire from outside sources. So all we think we know about any god is not ours. It was put in our head from childhood on. So in meditation we peal everything off like an onion. More and more layers. At the end , what is inside the onion? Nothing. So you have reached nothingness, nihilism.
So god is left behind, atheism is left behind. I hope you see now my connection between meditation ,Atheism and Nihilism.
I don't think your description tallies with observations of how the brain functions. Even when all the mental activities which can be controlled are halted by meditation, I think there's still quite a lot that's left behind.
Old 5th May 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Why, Azikur, is nihilism necessary or even favorable?

Nihilism can deny many worthwhile ideas, such as those espoused by humanism.

An atheist humanist is potentially good for the species.

What good is a nihilist, even possibly to themselves?
First of all, a Nihilist is also an anti idealists. Most idealistic ideologies are the most destructive forces to humanity. Just take communism. It started as an idealistic idea, ALL MEN ARE EQUAL AND NON SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN THE OTHER. DEMOCRACY is another idealistic lie. The people should decide what they want? Nowhere. MORAL is another idealistic lie. The politicians have no moral, but the ordinary citizen should stick to moral rules.. I could go on. So, Nihilism says: destroy all idealistic lies.
A nihilst is the most honest person. He does not cover barbaric egoism with such empty words like FREEDOM .
Old 5th May 2017, 10:50 PM
AFA Member

What does a nihilist do then? He is anti-idealist, anti communism, anti democratic, anti-moral, anti egoism, anti freedom. You sound like you are voicing an infantile stance of non participation...because it's all so pointless! Are you above it all?
Old 5th May 2017, 11:32 PM
What Me Deluded?

Do nihilists have children?
Old 5th May 2017, 11:36 PM
Omu'sata

Quote:
akizur said View Post
First of all, a Nihilist is also an anti idealists. Most idealistic ideologies are the most destructive forces to humanity. Just take communism. It started as an idealistic idea, ALL MEN ARE EQUAL AND NON SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN THE OTHER. DEMOCRACY is another idealistic lie. The people should decide what they want? Nowhere. MORAL is another idealistic lie. The politicians have no moral, but the ordinary citizen should stick to moral rules.. I could go on. So, Nihilism says: destroy all idealistic lies.
A nihilst is the most honest person. He does not cover barbaric egoism with such empty words like FREEDOM .
This sounds dangerously like the 'year zero' concept of the Khmer Rouge.
Old 6th May 2017, 02:39 AM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Quote:
akizur said View Post
Quote:
Why, Azikur, is nihilism necessary or even favorable?

Nihilism can deny many worthwhile ideas, such as those espoused by humanism.

An atheist humanist is potentially good for the species.

What good is a nihilist, even possibly to themselves?
Is propounding nihilism a breach of nihilism itself, in that it pushes an -ism?

Certainly, it seems to me your case is somewhat redolent of egotism-by-proxy, or you wouldn't be here, telling us of your Best Way.

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like knowledge is power liked this post
Old 6th May 2017, 06:54 AM
Today is today. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Quote:
[s propounding nihilism a breach of nihilism itself, in that it pushes an -ism?

Certainly, it seems to me your case is somewhat redolent of egotism-by-proxy, or you wouldn't be here, telling us of your Best Way.
Nihilism... what of it? Well, the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy says:
Quote:
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy.
So, nothing can be known or communicated, eh?

When you say something, Azikur, can I remind you you are being a bad nihilist doing all that communicating, and that you actually know nothing?

vibrators are WRONG and unnatural the bible said adam and eve not florence and the machine
Becky (@SAlNTKARDASHIAN) May 18, 2016

Like Strato, Mjt liked this post
Old 6th May 2017, 09:37 PM
What Me Deluded?

akizur, you might find 'emptiness' as expounded in Middle-Way Buddhist philosophy to your liking. I find the 'non-concept' of emptiness and the pursuit of the Void quite nihilistic, myself. I'd rather be engaged as I am doing now, on and with the AFA forum or reading great, recent books.

There's too much to miss out on.

I think emptiness is the attempt to describe in philosophical, semantic terms, the phenomenological (experiential) state of deep trance meditation.

Anyway, a dissertation on bi-negation from The Ontology of the Middle Way, Peter Fenner,

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...gation&f=false

I'll bet you can't read more than a couple of lines, if you click on it at all.

Last edited by Strato; 6th May 2017 at 09:52 PM.
Thank wadaye thanked this post
Old 8th May 2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Nihilism... what of it? Well, the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy says:
So, nothing can be known or communicated, eh?

When you say something, Azikur, can I remind you you are being a bad nihilist doing all that communicating, and that you actually know nothing?
Did you ask yourself the question: DO I REALLY KNOW SOMETHING?
Old 8th May 2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
akizur, you might find 'emptiness' as expounded in Middle-Way Buddhist philosophy to your liking. I find the 'non-concept' of emptiness and the pursuit of the Void quite nihilistic, myself. I'd rather be engaged as I am doing now, on and with the AFA forum or reading great, recent books.

There's too much to miss out on.

I think emptiness is the attempt to describe in philosophical, semantic terms, the phenomenological (experiential) state of deep trance meditation.

Anyway, a dissertation on bi-negation from The Ontology of the Middle Way, Peter Fenner,

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...gation&f=false

I'll bet you can't read more than a couple of lines, if you click on it at all.
Dont worry I am also engaged giving classes. And why? Because i have to do something until death comes.