Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 7th January 2016, 02:41 PM
AFA Member

Default My painful route to atheism

I have written an ebook describing my path to atheism from Texas Baptist at 10 years old to atheist at 16 with all the existential angst along the way. I think it will be of some interest to my fellow non-believers.
http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/...=1&*entries*=0
Please let me know what you think.
Old 8th January 2016, 10:09 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: My painful route to atheism

I think its great you have written an e-book and also that you have found your way, like many others, out of the clutches of religion.

Its a bit bad form to just lob into a forum with a sales link however. A bit of your story in your intro thread would be appropriate before I even think of clicking that link.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 8th January 2016, 07:35 PM
AFA Member

Sorry about that. I have never used a forum before and don't know what's acceptable. I didn't know any other way to get my book to the attention of people who might be interested. If I don't find any readers here I don't think I will. Here is a selection that might interest:

Preface By the Supreme-being (God)

1 What can I say? This man has had all of the advantages that I could giveth unto him and what has he done? - written this blasphemy.
2 I have exposed him through my divine providence to all of the major religions where I can be known and he has chosen none of them. Any team would have done as long as he plays My game.
3 If he does not believe in Me then we all know where he is headed donít we? Ė to eternal damnation, not everlasting life.
4 Maybe he will have a deathbed conversion but it had better be damned (oops - slip of the tongue) convincing to fool me, the All-Knowing One.
5 I do miss the good old days of the Spanish Inquisition when We could have put a stop to this quickly.
6 Maybe I can arrange for him to visit a fundamentalist Islamic country. Ah, thereís a thought.
7 Or I can take the Loving God New Testament approach this time and arrange to have him miraculously saved from the jaws of death. Thatís usually good for a conversion. Itís certainly worked in the past.
8 Or have him see a comet but of course he thinks he knows what they are Ė not a sign from God Ė so theyíre not much good these days.
9 And this idea of his of finding meaning in the life he is living and not looking towards an afterlife is rubbish or is it Ė I canít quite remember what I said. Was it:
10 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
or
11 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?
12 Anyway I was right both times. I always am. It is the word of God right? Or maybe one of those prophets I was dictating to just wasnít paying attention. You canít get good help these days.
13 As long as he believes in Me I donít care what he does. I too have feelings; how would you feel if no one believed you existed?
14 Iíd better give this man some consideration and do something about him otherwise he will just cause me problems in the future. I canít wait for the Day of Judgment.
(Authorís note: Thanks for the heads-up YHWH; I will keep an eye out for that jaws of death thing.)

I thought I should give the Big Guy a chance to respond.
Old 8th January 2016, 11:43 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Tell us about your family. Has the relationship changed since you came out atheist?

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:55 PM

Christians I know think atheist are some how taking an easy way out when they have a magical helper, protector, forgiver, healer that gives them some where to go when they die.