Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 13th March 2017, 08:28 AM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Re: Oh you're fucking kidding me. Is nothing sacred?

And the Bible Society is NOT Australia's longest living charity; the independent, non-religious, not-for-profit Benevolent Society which was formed in 1813 is.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 13th March 2017, 12:07 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
And the Bible Society is NOT Australia's longest living charity; the independent, non-religious, not-for-profit Benevolent Society which was formed in 1813 is.
How can they be benevolent? They don't even believe in god who is the biggest, bestist benevolentizerist since President Donald Trump! [Peace Be On His Name].
Old 13th March 2017, 12:10 PM
I Walk With Dog

And now, BeerCo has gone to water...

Quote:
Coopers Brewery has distanced itself from a Bible Society ad featuring two Liberal politicians debating marriage equality, saying it did not sponsor or approve of the campaign, despite evidence to the contrary.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Like Logic please liked this post
Old 13th March 2017, 01:51 PM

This was very upsetting so I went to the Coopers Facebook page to post a short 2 cents worth of opinion, what I saw was heart-warming. The number of people that posted to Coopers Facebook page telling them goodbye was wonderful.

This is how you lose customers.
Like Mjt, Logic please liked this post
Old 13th March 2017, 03:06 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Like THWOTH liked this post
Laugh at wolty, two dogs laughed at this post
Old 13th March 2017, 03:17 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

They are getting smashed on twitter.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 13th March 2017, 03:20 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

An open letter to Coopers

Quote:
Dear Coopers,
Just wanted you to know, I won’t be buying your beer any more. Perhaps this is not a great surprise to you, given an angry tweet of mine you may have seen, one that used the F-word and said that you were dead to me. Rest assured this letter won’t contain any swear words – even though my anger has not abated.

I think you know what this is related to. But in case you don’t, it’s to do with this video treating the marriage equality debate as a bit of a joke.

And this very lame response defending it (yes, you did release another one overnight when you realised just how bad this situation was and needed to go into damage control. We’ll get to that one later).

But I think I need to explain just why this angered me so much, because it seems you just don’t get it. Gay marriage is not some “light-hearted” topic. It involves human beings who are forbidden by law to marry. I fail to see anything remotely amusing about that.

On top of that, the whole idea of the “Keeping it Light” campaign is extremely distasteful. Here’s why – it’s those people standing in the way of gay marriage, saying to those they’re depriving of a basic human right, “hey let’s sit down and have a chat over a beer”. It’s the oppressors asking the oppressed to sit down and have a beer. It’s like the KKK asking black people to sit down and have a “fun” conversation about racism. Or wife beaters wanting to have a “light-hearted” conversation about domestic violence.

And that statement about how you’re not trying to change beliefs is proof that you don’t really understand what a boneheaded thing you’ve just done. People don’t think you’re trying to change anyone’s beliefs. Our anger is based in a betrayal of trust. We drank your beers for ages, and perhaps had a few fond memories in which a Coopers Green played a part. But now we find out the beer brand we trusted and loved has sided with those opposing marriage equality. That really comes as a shock. And given the outpouring of disapproval on your Facebook page and the #boycottcoopers hashtag on Twitter, it seems a lot of other people feel the same.

Overnight you released a second statement.

While you may not have given your permission for the cans to appear in the video, I find it hard to believe you were unaware of this. According to this news report, it was filmed a month ago. So it wasn’t like they bashed it together over the weekend.

It’s telling that this statement in no way refutes the anti-marriage equality stance inherent in the Bible Society’s Keeping It Light campaign. Which makes one think that those making the decisions at Coopers actually agree with this stance. You got into bed with the homophobes and those standing in the way of human rights and you don’t seem in any hurry to get out of that bed.

As for the claim that your brewery is “made up of individuals from a number of different backgrounds”, that smacks of the “hey I’m not racist, I have a black friend” defence.

This is really a serious, serious misstep for Coopers. It’s one thing for the owners of the company to hold these sorts of beliefs but now you’ve associated your brand with those beliefs. And you’ve given those of us totally opposed to those beliefs little choice but to stop buying them.

Coopers, it was fun. But now it’s not any more.

Goodbye,
Glen

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
Old 13th March 2017, 04:18 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Like Logic please liked this post
Old 13th March 2017, 04:28 PM
I Walk With Dog

Crikey - paylocked but you can sign up for a 21 day freebie account

Quote:
WWJD? Coopers Bible beer video might have breached Parliament rules

South Australian beer brewer Coopers has denied its support for a Bible Society video featuring two Liberal MPs drinking the company's beer in what appeared to be a sponsored debate about marriage equality.
This just goes on giving.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 13th March 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Like Mjt liked this post
Old 13th March 2017, 04:42 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Crikey - paylocked but you can sign up for a 21 day freebie account

Quote:
WWJD? Coopers Bible beer video might have breached Parliament rules

South Australian beer brewer Coopers has denied its support for a Bible Society video featuring two Liberal MPs drinking the company's beer in what appeared to be a sponsored debate about marriage equality.
This just goes on giving.
It's almost as if they are on the wrong side of history.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk