Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 11th March 2017, 09:39 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Oh you're fucking kidding me. Is nothing sacred?

Not that i do very often but i wont be buying coopers again. Beside the bible shit, its an overpriced beer for its quality, in my opinion. Fucking dicks.
Like wolty, Blue Lightning, Logic please, Banjo liked this post
Old 11th March 2017, 11:39 PM
I Walk With Dog

There are a few concern-provoking pronouncements from that company of late:

LINKY to article in Rupert's Australian on 02 March 2017:

In part:
Quote:
Coopers Brewery chairman Glenn Cooper has lashed the Weatherill government as “fools” who have rushed into renewable power generation and are scaring off investors and “killing jobs”.

The national chairman of Australian Made Campaign yesterday give a withering assessment of Labor’s handling of South Australia’s power crisis, which *Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis told parliament was “fake news”. Mr Cooper said although the brewery’s power costs had “gone up substantially”, the company had a gas-fired co-generator “which helps us enormously”.

Yesterday he said he “nearly fell off my chair” when he heard Mr Koutsantonis on Adelaide’s FIVEaa radio station defending the government’s rush to renewables and its 50 per cent target, which has left the state with the most expensive and unreliable power supply in the nation.

“I’m not against looking at *renewable power, but let’s balance it properly so it doesn’t kill off our industry,” he said. “There’s an old saying — fools rush in. I *believe this government rushed in to renewables ... and industry will now not come to this state.”

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 12th March 2017, 11:13 AM

Liberal MPs in marriage equality debate sponsored by Coopers beer, Bible Society

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...10-guvtsd.html

Quote:
Federal Liberal MPs Tim Wilson and Andrew Hastie are the unlikely stars of a debate sponsored by the Bible Society of Australia and Coopers Brewery.

The moderated debate was shot in the grounds of Canberra's Parliament House, and shows Mr Wilson, an openly gay agnostic, and Mr Hastie, a Christian conservative, debating marriage equality while drinking Coopers Premium Light beer.

Titled "Keeping it Light", the video is part of a joint campaign between the Adelaide brewer and Bible Society Australia "to reach even more Australians with God's word".
ffs ...
Like Banjo liked this post
Old 12th March 2017, 03:14 PM
AFA Member

...but you know, when i think about it, Christians haven't really capitalised on booze before when they certainly could've. Coopers are smart, the marketing has great potential

'Coopers, the beer Jesus would drink!'
'Fortify your immortal soul with Coopers Best Extra Stout.'
'Pale Ale, the beer served in heaven.'
'Real heterosexuals drink Coopers.'
'Coopers, brewed with the aid of non-renewable resources - that's our guarantee.'

The possibilities are endless.
Laugh at Logic please laughed at this post
Old 12th March 2017, 04:23 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Coopers is off the shopping list. Sigh. I liked it.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like Logic please liked this post
Old 12th March 2017, 05:10 PM
AFA Member

I can not remember the last time I bought Coopers, but I will not be buying it again that is for sure.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:51 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
wolty said View Post
They're everywhere...
Bible Society Australia CEO Greg Clarke said Coopers Foundation has been a strong supporter of its work, in particular the provision of bibles for the defence forces.
I'd like to see ADF intervention there.

Quote:
“I hope Australians enjoy a chance to celebrate the fact that we are here for good!” he said.
I think if I read between the lines, they are aware that the writing is on the wall. Cognitive dissonance.

Quote:
According to Eternity News, there were 10,000 cartons released of the beer emblazoned with a bible verse.
I'd be interested to see how this is reflected in sales for Coopers. It might be rather telling.

I also won't be buying it again. So much for the South Australian economy Glen Cooper prays for.
Old 12th March 2017, 11:17 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Beer and Bibles: brewery cops same-sex marriage backlash

Quote:
Coopers has been copping a bit of flack over a video produced with the Bible Society in which two MPs debate same-sex marriage.

Yup - you read that right. Beer, the Bible and a couple of blokes.

Wait a minute - what?

To mark its 200th birthday, the Bible Society Australia paired up with Coopers brewery to create a social media strategy aimed at reaching "more Australians with God's word".

The brewery created a special batch of light beer which features the society's logo, and has Bible verses on the cases. Just in case you want a bit of spiritual guidance with your coldie.

In an even more unusual move, the society has started a series called Keeping it Light, where they "host some light conversations on the heaviest topics".

The first is a video where two Liberal Party MPs discuss the issue of same-sex marriage.

Gay Victorian MP Tim Wilson and conservative Christian MP Andrew Hastie talk it through in a six minute video that's filmed in a cafe in Parliament House.

The video features several lingering shots of the beer bottles, and at the end, both parties toast to the Bible Society and congratulate it on its bicentennial.

You can gauge the level of awkwardness for yourself.

Quote:
Well, Coopers has received a bit of social media backlash on this, especially from members of the gay and lesbian community who say the company is pushing a political message.

"Do you oppose equality," one person asked the brewery in a tweet.

Another said: "I've been a Coopers drinker for years, blissfully unaware of their political views...no longer."

"Stick to brewing," a third person advised.

The company released a statement on Sunday saying society needed to be able to have a mature debate, and it wasn't trying to change anyone's mind.

Coopers isn't trying to push religious messages or change your beliefs by celebrating 200 years of charitable work undertaken by the Bible Society."
"In fact, over the years we have produced a number of different celebratory cans to recognise the historical achievements of a vast array of different organisations," it said.

Liberal Party divided on same-sex marriage

The Liberal Party has been divided about where to next on same-sex marriage, after the Senate shot down prospects of holding a plebiscite on the matter.

Some MPs - including Tim Wilson - want the Parliament to hold a free vote on it, meaning individual MPs and Senators could vote according to their conscience, rather than vote according to the party line.

But Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull - who supports changing the laws so same-sex couples can wed - has remained cold on the idea.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 13th March 2017, 07:42 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Given the history in Australia of being suspicious of wowserism, this seems like a really stupid move by Coopers. I knew about Gloria Jean's coffee being linked to the Christian right, but beer? WTF!? Also, linking the debate to marketing? If it doesn't backfire, I'll be disheartened. Then agan, Trump.
Old 13th March 2017, 07:48 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

http://aleofatime.com/2017/03/cooper...ination-light/

Sydney's legendary Hollywood Hotel says it's reconsidering its association with Coopers. Individual boycotts are very fine, but I wonder how much harder it bites when the retailers turn away.
Like Spud Henley liked this post