Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 2nd March 2017, 11:20 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Any Recommendations of Christian Books?

Actually most christians will not have read the bible much or consider it when they talk about being christian.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:42 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Actually most christians will not have read the bible much or consider it when they talk about being christian.
Yeah, but the well read Christians seem to have an understanding of the arcane deeper meanings that are beyond what common plebs can absorb. Or so they say. It must be very profitable to be a successful Christian author.
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:16 AM

I understand that the "Left Behind" series was very popular among the young christian crowd at one time. That delves into the "hooray we are saved but you suckers are in for it and I told you so" attitude.

Quite a few of my moderate christian friends liked Bishop Spong's work such as Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank SEG thanked this post
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:46 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
I understand that the "Left Behind" series was very popular among the young christian crowd at one time. That delves into the "hooray we are saved but you suckers are in for it and I told you so" attitude.

Quite a few of my moderate christian friends liked Bishop Spong's work such as Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism.
Thanks very much Dan, that helps me a lot too.
Old 3rd March 2017, 02:28 PM
AFA Member

I would go for a really good, academic and exhaustive study on the history of Christianity preferably written by a skeptical historian. There are a few about.
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I would go for a really good, academic and exhaustive study on the history of Christianity preferably written by a skeptical historian. There are a few about.
Like Thomas L. Thompson?
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Like Thomas L. Thompson?
No the Aquinas one.

Old 4th March 2017, 09:12 AM
AFA Member

This looks good.

A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years

by Diarmaid MacCulloch
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...f-christianity

MacCulloch's book on the Reformation is considered one of the best on the subject, it is a masterful work, imo.

I havnt read this one but MacCulloch is no christian cheer leader, you'll get the good and the bad with equal treatment i'd imagine. Published 2010, so up to date and 1000 pages long, that should cover the issues at hand. Actually, i've just talked myself into buying it!
Like DanDare liked this post
Thank SEG thanked this post