Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 25th February 2017, 09:44 PM

Default From Islam to the light...

So how did it all start with me?

First, I want to say it's good to be part of forum with like-minded people, it's definitely a step in the right direction for me.
I grew up in the so called holy land, not quite literally 😊, in Jordan in the Middle East, my family is religious and so was I, I went to Islamic school, I used to pray and observe Ramadan, l had the full package that comes with being a Muslim.

It took me 25 years to dare to start and ask questions like why are we so special? Islam in particular and the Abrahamic religions in general, the oldest Abrahamic religion is maybe 7000 years old or letís assume its 20000. The number is simply insignificant compared to the age of Earth, or the cosmos! People like Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Salman Rushdie, and Philip Pullman helped as well, without their critical thinking and their stories it would have been very difficult for me.

Iím afraid there are a lot of stories, incidents and memories that got accumulated throughout the years and led me to finally ditch the religion altogether, from questioning the women rights in Islam(Why the veil? Why womenís share of inheritance is not the same as men? .....), to school memories where teachers used to instill conspiracy theories in your head (like a teacher demonstrating to the class by using a Coke can, how Coke is anti-Islamic sounds crazy right? Not really. he was dead serious, he was arguing that Coca-Cola in Arabic text is read as No God No Mohammed) and thatís just one story among many others.

In short, Iím happy with what I have achieved, it was one hell of a ride for me, far from easy but I feel Iím at peace with myself.
Thank pipbarber, knowledge is power, Stubby thanked this post
Old 25th February 2017, 10:07 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: From Islam to the light...

Thanks for sharing Omar.

Quote:
Omar said View Post
In short, Iím happy with what I have achieved, it was one hell of a ride for me, far from easy but I feel Iím at peace with myself.
I can imagine.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
óChaz Bufe, The American Hereticís Dictionary
Old 25th February 2017, 11:08 PM
AFA Member

I can only imagine the intellectual courage it takes to overcome such an intense religious milieu. Good for you Omar. Give freedom to your thoughts and questions on this forum, express yourself. I look forward to your contributions.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 26th February 2017, 04:06 PM

Will come back and properly greet you later - I've just spent the last 28 hours cleaning a house prior to moving out, so my brain is dysfunctional - but for now HI AND WELCOME!
Old 26th February 2017, 10:01 PM
AFA Member

Well done you. Of course you've joined a minority. But its liberating to know that we are responsible for our own actions and not just answerable to conform to some imaginary deity.
Old 26th February 2017, 10:07 PM
AFA Member

Hi Omar,
Congratulations for being so brave and truthful to yourself. Btw, The major Abrahamic religions in chronological order of founding are:
Judaism (seventh century BCE),
Christianity (first century CE)
Islam (seventh century CE)
Abrahamic religions - Wikipedia
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 27th February 2017, 12:34 AM
What Me Deluded?

Intellectual courage, personal courage. I look forward to your engagement here Omar.
Old 27th February 2017, 05:58 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Omar said View Post
....teachers used to instill conspiracy theories in your head (like a teacher demonstrating to the class by using a Coke can, how Coke is anti-Islamic sounds crazy right? Not really. he was dead serious, he was arguing that Coca-Cola in Arabic text is read as No God No Mohammed) and thatís just one story among many others.
That is so crazy it should get an award.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 27th February 2017, 06:04 PM

Although a fact most peculiar to crackpot fundies... that teacher could easily have found himself on the receiving end of some religious love for even uttering the words, whether he was using it as a deranged object lesson or not.

Anyway, welcome again Omar - glad to see you have recovered from the mind-disease of religion.
Old 27th February 2017, 06:54 PM
Proceed at own risk

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
That is so crazy it should get an award.
I've read that in some Islamic countries they teach the children that western scientists get all their ideas from the Quran.
Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post