Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 18th February 2017, 07:59 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Interest/Desire & Actions

Do you pursue things that are only interesting? Do you also pursue and commit yourself to things that you find boring?
Old 18th February 2017, 08:54 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Interest/Desire & Actions

Yes Az, I do. Because this is real life and shit needs to be done.
Even the most interesting things can become boring at times, off and on. Even people who love what they do can have times where they are bored.
I personally have an incredibly short attention span. Stuff doesn't often have time to get boring. But boring stuff still has gotta be done.
Like bookwork.
And cleaning.
And folding the washing. Although live by out of the washing basket is a viable option.
But mostly life is interesting Az.
Ever so interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18th February 2017, 09:08 PM
AFA Member

As fishie says, even interesting things can be boring if repeated too often. For example, in the puppy world, almost anything to with science is interesting, especially in evolutionary biology. I just saw a paper on Chiclid evolution, but ATM, I couldn't be bothered to read it. NACEP. [Not Another Chiclid Evolution Paper!]
Old 18th February 2017, 09:13 PM

Whereas, as I become more conscious, things get more painful and boring... interesting-ness and pleasure diminish eventually. However, I deal with it, do it, and get it done... so 99% of the times, life is EXTREMELY BORING and painful... it's a good ordeal as a human being... emotional resilience, maturity and courage to do most mundane and tedious stuff all the time. And I'm proud to be doing things that are SUPREMELY BORING!
Old 18th February 2017, 09:22 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Whereas, as I become more conscious, things get more painful and boring... interesting-ness and pleasure diminish eventually. However, I deal with it, do it, and get it done... so 99% of the times, life is EXTREMELY BORING and painful... it's a good ordeal as a human being... emotional resilience, maturity and courage to do most mundane and tedious stuff all the time. And I'm proud to be doing things that are SUPREMELY BORING!
Maybe you have a wee bit of the masochist in you Azi!
Maybe try to be less self-conscious of what you are doing some of the time. Mindfulness can be over-rated, especially when practised too often. Carpe Diem. Seize the day. Enjoy what you can, without trying to analyse it.
Old 18th February 2017, 09:24 PM

No, actually I find 99% of things absolutely boring but I just get on with those things and I don't try to analyse it at all.

However, such endurance makes me dignified!

Just as theists find life very meaningful with false hopes that they'd enter the heaven and commune with God, atheists don't find life meaningful at all. Beyond that, I find everything mundane but I just do it all the time. I know in the past, I used to say how I find life meaningful but that isn't so anymore.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 18th February 2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:34 AM

I can't enjoy being bored or doing boring things, that's for sure.
Old 24th March 2017, 01:09 AM

In my case, I find it really hard to do things I don't enjoy. And it's not easy to have a mind that repels the moment it encounters discomfort. In fact, I'm currently training my mind to overcome this. Cause sometimes you have to deal with boring, difficult things to get to something better.

Quote:
Just as theists find life very meaningful with false hopes that they'd enter the heaven and commune with God, atheists don't find life meaningful at all. Beyond that, I find everything mundane but I just do it all the time. I know in the past, I used to say how I find life meaningful but that isn't so anymore.
I, too, had the same problem, not finding life meaningful. But, I tell myself that, may be, it doesn't need to have a meaning. I think it's about trying to live with as least discomfort as possible. Working to make your experience here as best as you can. I'm a pessimist and that makes me see mostly black about life but I guess, I'm bound to function as the rest of the humans and try to have a normal life because, that's what keeps you distracted from the reality, as we call it.
Old 24th March 2017, 07:24 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. To paraphrase Yoda - 'boring, not boring, no matter'. Accept the shit you have to do like you actually chose to do it.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like Mjt liked this post
Old 26th March 2017, 09:10 AM

Things that have to be done are best done from a position of emotional neutrality. Things that one chooses to do should be done from
a position of emotional positivity. Boredom should ideally not exist and kept to an absolute minimum if it does. Now I never get bored
There is much I still have yet to learn. So many books. So little time. If you are consistently active then you have no time to be bored