Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 11th February 2017, 05:39 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Was Judaism Originally Polytheistic?

Polytheistic sounds like a new type of plastic.
Old 11th February 2017, 05:53 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
though I don't think it would be inconvenient. religious jews don't care about etymology or the evolution of religion in a cultural and historical context. god revealed himself to Abraham. end of story. same as trying to point out to christians the context of xmas as a pagan ritual.
yes and no, at TBI in Melbourne the emeritus rabbi (John Levi) was very interested in the cultural and historical origins of the beliefs, where the stories originally came from etc. Other rabbis there really did not like him talking about that at all. lol. If YHWH was a war god of the cannanites that a particular cult decided was the only god, that doesn't quiet fit the mythology that this novel one and only god revealed himself to Abraham, after previously staying hidden..

Most religious (orthodox) jews I knew wouldn't countenance such discussions, it wasn't that they just didn't care, they didn't want to know or discuss such things, but maybe that was just the ones I knew growing up.

Some christians won't celebrate xmas for that reason, not all are in denial, though here we aren't talking about the origin of a holiday, but the origin of YHWH himself.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by joele; 11th February 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11th February 2017, 10:05 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

When I was reading Robert Crumb's illustrated version, I noticed in Genesis 6 a reference to "diving beings" and also "the Nephilim" (rendered in the KJV as "sons of god" and "giants" respectively). But I immediately thought it looked like residue from a polytheistic tradition, and in his notes, Crumb makes a similar comment, that Judaism evolved out of a polytheistic environment. The vagueness of the text left him with a decision about how to illustrate those passages. He seems to interpret them as describing a world where, prior to the great flood, both demigods and demons roamed the earth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crumb.jpg (133.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 12th February 2017, 10:13 AM
AFA Member

Pretty obvious that there were at least several gods around. Yehweh even states : "You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exodus 20:3).

Scared of the competition!
Old 12th February 2017, 10:54 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Pretty obvious that there were at least several gods around. Yehweh even states : "You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exodus 20:3).

Scared of the competition!
man ... if only we had anti trust legislation back then.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:57 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
joele said View Post
yes and no, at TBI in Melbourne ...
makes sense. growing up in Israel I think the religious folks I met (though there were, ofcourse, exceptions) were further along the orthodoxy spectrum than in Melbourne and such discussions were not really part of the discourse.