Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 4th January 2017, 03:29 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Westernisation =/= white-washing?

I want to ask atheists for their viewpoint on westernisation. Is westernisation as bad as white-washing?

There are some non-whites who wish to look white or mix with white people most preferably. Is that an example of westernisation, alongside developing preferences to adopt western cultures, travel to America and/or Europe only and speaking predominantly English?

What are your views on being white-washed? Is it as bad? Or is it a normal preference to adopt the white ways?

Last edited by Azurisan21; 4th January 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 4th January 2017, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Westernisation =/= white-washing?

With something complex like this, I think it'd be a good idea to set out a definition for westernization, because people tend to have very different ideas in mind when using it.

Same really goes with white-washing because, for me, it's the practice of casting European origin actors in roles playing non-European origin characters.

As for 'white ways' - personally, I would very much suggest a clear definition here because it sounds racist. There are no 'ways' which are related to the content of melanin in ones' skin.
Old 4th January 2017, 04:04 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

I've just landed in a state of mind that is tinged with severe to profound headaches. Please excuse me till I can return and respond. It may be another dozen hours to decades if not aeons, literally.
Old 4th January 2017, 04:16 PM

I often have that effect on people!

Get well soon!
Old 4th January 2017, 05:00 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
I often have that effect on people!

Get well soon!
oh behave.

Get well Azu. This looks to be an interesting discussion just trying to define the words let alone the meat of the subject!
Old 4th January 2017, 06:53 PM
Proceed at own risk

Some aspects of westernisation are good. Democracy is western right?
Old 4th January 2017, 07:25 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
Some aspects of westernisation are good. Democracy is western right?
I'd say so. Certainly liberal constitutional democracy. I'd add the scientific method, secularism, feminism, equality in gender and sexual orientation. But i dont like these things being labelled as 'Westernisation.' They are just good things every culture should aspire to. And that may well make me a cultural imperialist, but i dont care really. I stand for those things, regardless of culture.

As for 'whitewash,' not sure entirely what that means. As ST said, it needs a definition.
Like knowledge is power liked this post
Old 4th January 2017, 08:32 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

You can find examples of those good things in non-western cultures too. I suspect people who like sexism, bigotry and authoritarianism falsely claim that those things are not part of their culture. I'm thinking about that speech by an Egyptian President in the 60s taking the piss out of the Muslim Brotherhood about the veil.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I'd say so. Certainly liberal constitutional democracy. I'd add the scientific method, secularism, feminism, equality in gender and sexual orientation. But i dont like these things being labelled as 'Westernisation.' They are just good things every culture should aspire to. And that may well make me a cultural imperialist, but i dont care really. I stand for those things, regardless of culture.

As for 'whitewash,' not sure entirely what that means. As ST said, it needs a definition.
Old 4th January 2017, 08:57 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
You can find examples of those good things in non-western cultures too. I suspect people who like sexism, bigotry and authoritarianism falsely claim that those things are not part of their culture. I'm thinking about that speech by an Egyptian President in the 60s taking the piss out of the Muslim Brotherhood about the veil.
Yeah thats a good point, perhaps i'm focusing too much on geographic origin of those things in their institutional form. In any case, it just doesnt matter who came up with what and where, does it? Its just what makes sense from the humanist viewpoint, what reduces misery and prejudice.

Perhaps i'm off the mark with 'Westernisation.' Anyone care to attempt a definition?
Old 4th January 2017, 10:50 PM
What Me Deluded?

If by Westernisation we mean recognition of human rights which are under threat just when we need them most freedom of speech, which right we freely exercise on the AFA forum, openly ridiculing religion as is done freely as needed on all atheist forums, then yes, westernisation, which is sorely, urgently needed in Turkey, Egypt, Indonesia, the Middle East generally, Russia, China, North Korea.

The Magna Carta of 1215 is an English proclamation. Parliament, the Age of Enlightenment-these are Western developments, as is contemporary progressivism. All wonderful for those lucky enough to enjoy such rights and liberties, with still a long way to go, ground to regain.

I fear we are seeing the beginning of dark days.

We need to desist being paranoid over offending states with non western or anti western laws and attitudes.

One has nothing to fear but fear itself.