Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 6th January 2017, 06:52 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: The struggles of Middle Eastern Atheists at home and away from home

Thanks for this very valuable post, LL. I am going to show it to my daughter. She is an atheist too, but sometimes we disagree on some issues. One thing I want to teach her is that she should always be accepting of people she meets. If she sees a woman in hijab, it reminds her of religion and she starts talking about how stupid it is. But I want to remind her that the woman in the hijab might be an atheist just like her. Or maybe she is having doubts about her religion but she's scared to voice those doubts, becuase she might be ostracised or beaten or worse, by her family and community.

We are atheists because we don't believe in god. But we are good to each other because we are human.
Old 6th January 2017, 08:56 AM

I'll do a rare pop up to wish you all the best to LL. Makes me realise I was immensely lucky to be born in a 'western democracy' however much I whinge about it.

I'm also a George Monboit fan. And though I'm pretty quiet on the posting front here, I find lots of inspiration, learning, and generally nice folk on this site.

Hope 2017 puts you in a good place.
Old 6th January 2017, 11:58 AM
AFA Member

Stylofone,

I appreciate your compliment of this thread. Yes, I agree with you. You never know what is going on inside people's head. I always say it is ok to criticize ideologies and religions but not ok to harm people. I have suffered a lot in the West when I tell people I am from Saudi Arabia or when they realize I am a Middle Eastern from my look.
It is also good idea to read and let your daughter read my own story of how I abandoned Islam to convert to Christianity then abandoned Christianity to become an Atheist. My story is a bit long but it shows the struggles and doubts I faced throughout my journey
This is the link to my story.
http://atheistfoundation.org.au/foru...ad.php?t=28994

Soup Dragon,
I appreciate your wishes of my safety. I always say even if you don't like something or some parts of the western world, over there is absolutely ok to critsize it realizing you will spend that night on your own bed not in a prison.
Like stylofone liked this post
Old 6th January 2017, 12:10 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
Soup Dragon said View Post
I'll do a rare pop up to wish you all the best to LL. Makes me realise I was immensely lucky to be born in a 'western democracy' however much I whinge about it.
yep. was thinking about this a couple of days ago.

@LL: you can definitely try to emigrate. it is true that there is much more scrutiny nowadays. without knowing your circumstances it is hard to make suggestions, and even if we knew, unless one is an immigration attorney, any suggestion would be just that.

having said that, from what I know the easiest way is thru a temporary arrangement like studying or working. coming in thru the back door, so to speak. immigration authorities tend to be less strict and scrutinising if you are only coming for a finite period of time. note that I am not advocating you try and out-stay whatever visa you get. only that once in a country, things may open up. it is easier to get or extend employment, get sponsorships, etc. You get to know people and opportunities have a higher likelihood of presenting themselves.
Old 8th January 2017, 03:30 AM
AFA Member

Stub King,

Thanks for your advice. I am currently looking at all possible opportunities to emigrate to a free country. Hope I will find a way
Old 14th January 2017, 12:42 AM
What Me Deluded?

It takes intellectual courage to come to where you are now, Life-Lover, to have allowed yourself, dared to think critically about all you have had inculcated into you from infancy, which is reinforced all around.

You have the right to escape repression for taking how you think seriously. Fundamentalists think they are taking how they think seriously. They are not even wrong.
Old 18th January 2017, 11:18 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Life-Lover, could I get your impression on the burka and what you think about banning it?

It's just it keeps cropping up in the media and also on twitter where it seems atheists are really struggling with their position on banning.

I'll pop these posts in another thread if it goes all weird.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 20th January 2017, 01:26 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Life-Lover, could I get your impression on the burka and what you think about banning it?

It's just it keeps cropping up in the media and also on twitter where it seems atheists are really struggling with their position on banning.

I'll pop these posts in another thread if it goes all weird.

Thanks Wolty for asking me about my opinion of such a controversial topic.
I personally support banning Burka as it hides the person's identity.
However, I think it is ok to let women wear Hijab if they choose to do so.

Btw, hundreds of years ago some of the members of European Royal Families used to wear Burka!
Check this video out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wEpzKG5IY
Old 20th January 2017, 03:38 PM
Proceed at own risk

Yeah, veiling was not uncommon in Europe when in mourning. I wonder why women hid their faces while grieving?
Old 20th January 2017, 03:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Life-Lover said View Post
Thanks Wolty for asking me about my opinion of such a controversial topic.
I personally support banning Burka as it hides the person's identity.
However, I think it is ok to let women wear Hijab if they choose to do so.

Btw, hundreds of years ago some of the members of European Royal Families used to wear Burka!
Check this video out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wEpzKG5IY
One could argue that modern societies adopting darkages/ medieval clothing habits is not consistent with a modern, more humanistic and freedom-loving society. I am not of course advocating banning the burqa, but I certainly support the gentle encouragement of people's from dressing in a manner which supports rigid religious doctrine and questionable moral values concerning sexuality.

The purpose of such clothing, explicitly stated, is to protect men from evil sexual urges concerning a sub-human race, namely women. Such barbaric philosophies also prevent women from driving cars, voting and a plethora of other vicious nonsense.

While not every Muslim is a radical, moderate Muslims are being intimidated by more radical Muslims AND confrontational behavior from non-Muslims regarding their dress. Such bigotry is stupid on so many levels, including the futility of those captured by a religious Stockholm Syndrome defending their oppressors.

There are enough Muslim [immature] men to make conservative dress for Muslim women a utilitarian measure, because such boys [of all ages] can't treat women with respect, and project the blame for their own lack of control of sexual urges onto their victims!