Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 31st December 2016, 06:14 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Credible Online Atheism Resources

Quote:
EbonyBreeCaple said View Post
I did read that on Wikipedia. The single cell thing. That didnt confuse me. It even had a picture timeline for evolution of man. I just cant picture evolution in process because Im not familiar with it therefore trying to imagine humans evolving is alien to me. Although I know we are taller than we used to be in the middle ages and have seen proof of this through size of doorways so to believe that at one time we were crawling on all fours is not that far fetched.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Although evolution is quite simple to understand, it is not usually on human time scales. I should qualify this. Some evolution [called microevolution] can readily be observed. But macroevolution [~speciation] can take thousands or millions of years.

An example of microevolution is the spread of adult lactose tolerance in societies that use milk or milk products in their diet:-
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib...070401_lactose

An example of macroevolution is speciation of hermaphroditic snails:-
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology...l.pbio.0030282

Chirility just means "left" or "right" handedness. In the case of these snails, it is whether their shells coil to the left or the right. Chirility is regulated by a single gene product, a protein.

It may surprise you to know that evolutionary biology is an experimental science. Not only is there an abundance of evidence from paleontology, genetics, comparative anatomy and physiology and just about every other sub-discipline of biology, but actually experiments are conducted to test evolutionary theories. The most famous of these experiments are run by Lenski Labs called the Long Term Evolution Experiment on E.coli:-

http://myxo.css.msu.edu/ecoli/

Of course there are limits [both technical and ethical] to experimenting with humans and other complex animals. For one thing, humans have slow generational turnover [they breed very slowly]. But simpler animals like fruit flies, lizards and the like have confirmed evolutionary theory by experiment at the eucaryotic level of life [everything apart from bacteria, basically: including humans, trees, bees, fungi, elephants etc, etc]. Googling "Molly Burke" and "fruit flies" will link you to experiments on fruit flies, eg:-

http://ib.oregonstate.edu/faculty/burkemol/Burke-Molly

Back to atheism. Matt Dillahuny's u tubes are great too:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/SansDeity
Old 31st December 2016, 10:11 PM

Ebony : there are plenty of examples of transition in species occurring within a human lifespan. Arguably the most famous one is that of the white
peppered moth which because of pollution during the Industrial Revolution transitioned into the black peppered moth. Which was something easily
observable that did not occur over millions or billions of years and so disproves the Creationist lie that evolution must be false for that very reason
Old 1st January 2017, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
surreptitious57 said View Post
Ebony : there are plenty of examples of transition in species occurring within a human lifespan. Arguably the most famous one is that of the white
peppered moth which because of pollution during the Industrial Revolution transitioned into the black peppered moth. Which was something easily
observable that did not occur over millions or billions of years and so disproves the Creationist lie that evolution must be false for that very reason
The peppered moth case is not an instance of speciation, but it is a case of natural selection on pigments.
Old 1st January 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
EbonyBreeCaple said View Post
I just cant picture evolution in process because Im not familiar with it therefore trying to imagine humans evolving is alien to me.
A realtime example of evolution of bacteria over an eleven day period. For non bacterial life just imagine the process taking hundreds of thousands of years instead of days.

Thank EbonyBreeCaple thanked this post
Old 1st January 2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Wrenn said View Post
A realtime example of evolution of bacteria over an eleven day period. For non bacterial life just imagine the process taking hundreds of thousands of years instead of days.

Thanks. I watched a documentary about how antibiotics create super bugs resistant to the antibiotics. I never applied this to evolution. So I am assuming this pertains to the single cell organism that all life evolves from. Am I correct?

Old 1st January 2017, 11:42 AM
AFA Member

Evolutionary theory applied to medicine and disease is paying big dividends. Many bacterial populations are becoming resistant to antibiotics. E.B. is helping to solve these problems in novel ways. With cancers, E.B. helps also. In fact not a week goes by without some leading science journal publishing successes in curing all sorts of aliments using evolutionary biology.
Old 1st January 2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Evolutionary theory applied to medicine and disease is paying big dividends. Many bacterial populations are becoming resistant to antibiotics. E.B. is helping to solve these problems in novel ways. With cancers, E.B. helps also. In fact not a week goes by without some leading science journal publishing successes in curing all sorts of aliments using evolutionary biology.
Do you believe profit/greed plays a part in the continuance of certain ills, both medical and social. Like, they may have found a cure all for a variety of cancers but making them available would eliminate the profit factor in treating them? Kind of like the intentional obsolescence of the manufacturing industry.
Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post

Old 1st January 2017, 12:01 PM
AFA Member

If i may jump in with my opinion here. Any pharma company that comes up with a one magic pill cure for cancer would sell it to the world and make trillions of dollars before a competitor does. Not that greed might not play a part, especially at the research level, where spending big bucks on the cure of uncommon illnesses may not be profitable, so why bother. Generally, though i'm a bit skeptical regarding the theory that big Pharma suppress medicines. It seems contrary to the profit motive given that there will always be something that needs pharmaceutical intervention.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 1st January 2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
If i may jump in with my opinion here. Any pharma company that comes up with a one magic pill cure for cancer would sell it to the world and make trillions of dollars before a competitor does. Not that greed might not play a part, especially at the research level, where spending big bucks on the cure of uncommon illnesses may not be profitable, so why bother. Generally, though i'm a bit skeptical regarding the theory that big Pharma suppress medicines. It seems contrary to the profit motive given that there will always be something that needs pharmaceutical intervention.
I would suggest they supress medicines. I do believe there's credence to my doubt of pharmaceutical companies making actual cures available. They may manipulate the discovered cure to provide therapeutic benefits but not actually cure the disease. Of course a patients reaction to a medicine is individual. Chemo works for some and not others. I believe the individuals immune system plays a big part in this. But Im speaking from an uneducated point of view. I just know through my own treatment of mental illness that theres seems to be a focus on masking symptoms and a lack of ethics in relation to informing the patient of side effects. This allows me to question the ethics of pharmaceutical companies and medical practitioners.

Old 1st January 2017, 12:34 PM
AFA Member

I'm confident new and more efficacious pharmaceuticals for the treatment of mental health, with less side effects, will be developed and my confidence is based solely on the fact that medical knowledge is always improving. Just think of where we were 100 years ago! Imagine what we'll have developed in 100 years from now.

Not that pharmaceutical companies are virtuous organisations out to save the world or arent immune to price manipulations and probably a few other dodgy practices but I'd need to see evidence to accept that big pharmaceutical companies actively suppress cure in order to prolong treatment through any systematic and organised cartel type of activity.And in any case, medical research is not the sole province of the private sector. Knowledge will out, has it always has done.