Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 31st December 2016, 10:04 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Default Re: Credible Online Atheism Resources

That very first link in my post above is pretty much the whole story in terms of evolution, albeit condensed and lacking a lot of fine detail.

BTW, we didn't just evolve from apes, we ARE apes.

Like DanDare liked this post
Thank EbonyBreeCaple thanked this post
Old 31st December 2016, 10:13 AM

Ok. Well Ive never been comfortable with our inhumane treatment of animals so to identify as an animal doesnt seem that far fetched. Infact Dawkins did state we are animals to that Preacher in the documentary. I might be careful who I choose to share this with considering he was threatened for stating it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 31st December 2016, 10:17 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

No point taking such threats seriously. Dawkins has been getting threats for as long as I can remember.

Old 31st December 2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
hackenslash said View Post
No point taking such threats seriously. Dawkins has been getting threats for as long as I can remember.
Im only used to threats for my choosing to combat white supremacy and believing in equality so to be threatened if I choose to believe something else such as evolution or for the lack of belief in Gods, if thats where this searching takes me, it wont be a completely new experience.

Old 31st December 2016, 04:15 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
EbonyBreeCaple said View Post
Im only used to threats for my choosing to combat white supremacy and believing in equality so to be threatened if I choose to believe something else such as evolution or for the lack of belief in Gods, if thats where this searching takes me, it wont be a completely new experience.

Are you currently fighting against white-washed state?
Old 31st December 2016, 04:37 PM

In very limited settings yes. I identify and counter racism when I see it practiced in my limited interactions with family and community. I encourage those in my small circle and others online to also educate themselves about how to effectively combat white supremacy and to be respecting of other cultures and try to impart the correct ways of behaving towards other cultures that I have learned and am still learning. I am more active online than in society itself (I know, reminiscent of a troll) but have recently attended a Black Lives Matter rally which encouraged me to be more active about this issue. I grew up in a Koori community so can see from firsthand experience that the disadvantages of First Nations Peoples are related to racism/white supremacy (extreme, foundational and subversive) and the advantages white people recieve through its practice (white privilege) which is mirrored in our behaviour towards all non white cultures. I listen to the requests of people in non white communities and try to act on their advice. I recently did Cultural Awareness Training and attended a Unconscious Bias seminar and this also encouraged me to be more active and share what I learned. I specifically donate to non white humanitarian causes, in particular African but also Indigenous. I have been personally threatened both on and offline and although it scared me at the time I realize this is something I could avoid by not participating in the fight or not socializing with other cultures and that is a privilege I have that people of other cultures do not. I could walk away from my passion and beliefs whereas they cannot walk away from their identity. In reality I would like to attend more rallies and if I could afford I would donate to more causes, specifically causes that are on the front lines of combatting socioeconomic disadvantages of non white peoples.
Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Are you currently fighting against white-washed state?

Like Goldenmane, hackenslash liked this post
Thank Azurisan21 thanked this post
Old 31st December 2016, 04:44 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

I don't care whether you're an atheist or not - your dignity in combating white supremacy really is admirable and my pleasure. I am willing to discuss it further well into the new year.
Like EbonyBreeCaple liked this post
Old 31st December 2016, 04:54 PM

Hello Ebony and welcome. The most common and ignorant question asked with regard to evolution is : if humans evolved from apes why are there
still apes? The answer is that they had a common ancestor rather than one evolving from the other. All animals and plants including extinct species
have a common ancestor : single cell non self replicating bacteria that existed between 3.5 to 4 billion years ago and was the first life form on Earth
Old 31st December 2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I don't care whether you're an atheist or not - your dignity in combating white supremacy really is admirable and my pleasure. I am willing to discuss it further well into the new year.
Well I look forward to sharing and learning from somebody who is compassionate. I started a few threads on another forum that was overtly Pro Trump believing that to combat white supremacy you need to step outside of your comfort zone. I engage in online discussions where there is support for my beliefs and I learn new methods to identify and challenge it but I thought Im not going to achieve anything if I dont challenge people who are racist. My threads were not well recieved and I knew this was a potential but I persist. Just as I would persist in a community setting. If you have any suggestions about how I might better achieve this task I welcome them. My intention is not to debate to the actuality of white supremacy as that opens the door for people to disagree. My intention is to encourage other white people to identify it, recognize how they benefit from it, and shoulder the responsibility of combatting it. Just as it is a priority for many institutions to continue to disadvantage non white communities for their own benefit, we (other white people) should make it a priority to challenge this rather than expect those victimized by these practices to take responsibility for their own victimization.

Like Azurisan21 liked this post
Thank Azurisan21 thanked this post
Old 31st December 2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
surreptitious57 said View Post
Hello Ebony and welcome. The most common and ignorant question asked with regard to evolution is : if humans evolved from apes why are there
still apes? The answer is that they had a common ancestor rather than one evolving from the other. All animals and plants including extinct species
have a common ancestor : single cell non self replicating bacteria that existed between 3.5 to 4 billion years ago and was the first life form on Earth
I did read that on Wikipedia. The single cell thing. That didnt confuse me. It even had a picture timeline for evolution of man. I just cant picture evolution in process because Im not familiar with it therefore trying to imagine humans evolving is alien to me. Although I know we are taller than we used to be in the middle ages and have seen proof of this through size of doorways so to believe that at one time we were crawling on all fours is not that far fetched.