Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 29th December 2016, 07:41 PM

Default Is Athiesm A Science Or A Belief

Do you choose to be an athiest simply because you do not believe in a God or Gods or is it a belief based on scientific theory?

My brother considers himself an athiest due to his beliefs in science. But I read in other areas that some people simply don't believe in God or Gods which Im taken to understand is the official definition of athiesm.

As much as I am not religious I believe, with no actual evidence (other than hallucinating the hue of a red face that answered "God" when I asked who it was) in a higher power, an energy, a creator.

I understand science presents evidence to support theories and as such as there is no evidence of a God or Gods existence an Athiest would therefore conclude that God does not exist.

Is there a science to disprove a God or Gods existence or is this basically a belief due to lack of evidence?

I'm not criticizing athiesm. I believe everyone is entitled to follow a discipline in so much that that discipline is healthy and does not seek to harm others. Just asking a question to hopefully learn something from individuals who claim athiesm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Like Azurisan21 liked this post
Old 29th December 2016, 08:02 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Is Athiesm A Science Or A Belief

I cannot speak for others but I consider myself an atheist because I am yet to find any compelling evidence for any of the god characters described by theists. I am perfectly happy to alter my view if any such evidence was to provided. I hold similar views with regard to the FSM and Russel's tea pot.
Old 29th December 2016, 08:07 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Hi there.

Atheism is not a belief. It is the lack of one.

As per Bruce I simply don't find the claims of theism compelling.

Like EbonyBreeCaple liked this post
Old 29th December 2016, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to more people sharing their individual reasons as to why they chose athiesm.

Old 29th December 2016, 08:15 PM
Cuss-tard

Never come across a god claim that is remotely convincing. Those god claims that have been presented to me have not withstood scrutiny in the light of the minimal education and feeble intellect I possess. Hence, the label atheist applies to me.

@Goldenmane3

Like EbonyBreeCaple liked this post
Old 29th December 2016, 08:24 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
EbonyBreeCaple said View Post
Thanks for the replies. I look forward to more people sharing their individual reasons as to why they chose athiesm.
What makes you think that atheism is a "choice"?

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 29th December 2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
I assume your either going to tell me religion is taught to us or that athiesm is natural. Or heaven forbid you were forced to be an athiest?

Like two dogs liked this post
Old 29th December 2016, 08:34 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
two dogs said View Post
I assume your either going to tell me religion is taught to us or that athiesm is natural. Or heaven forbid you were forced to be an athiest?
Why in the fuck would you assume that?

And if you wish to have some meaningful discourse on the topic, it might help if you could spell atheism correctly?

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 29th December 2016, 08:37 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Quote:
two dogs said View Post

I can't speak for 2dogsfucking, but I'll lay odds neither.

Atheism, being the lack of a god belief, the state of being unconvinced, is not a choice. It's simply a thing that happens.

I'll tell you another label that fits me: feminist. I didn't choose to be a feminist, 'feminist' is a label that applies to me because I have been convinced to accept the position that women are people, and all that flows from that, including the position that all people deserve equality.

I didn't decide to be a feminist. It's just a word that describes my position on an issue.

I didn't choose to be an atheist, it's simply the label that applies to my position on the question of the existence of deities: I have no reason to think they exist.

@Goldenmane3

Like two dogs, EbonyBreeCaple liked this post
Old 29th December 2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
Why in the fuck would you assume that?

And if you wish to have some meaningful discourse on the topic, it might help if you could spell atheism correctly?
Pardon me. Athiest. Obviously I am not familiar athiesm therefore my question. To answer your question without assuming, I thought it was a choice just as I choose to believe in God. I have no evidence of Gods existing other than historical references from nearly every culture on earth. You have no evidence that Gods do not exist other than lack of quantifiable physical evidence. I chose to believe. You chose not to believe. Thats my reasoning. Feel free to educate me. Im not looking to aggravate or debate. Im hoping to learn something.

Like two dogs liked this post